Sign in to follow this  
MKJoshA

[SoNE Ep. 1] Imperial Troops Have Entered the Base!

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

We fought our way through Cloud City helping civilians whenever we could. We tried to move higher up in the city but were blocked at every attempt by squads of Stormtroopers. We found out later it was because the Princess has making her escape up there. We were forced to head deeper into Cloud City. It was obvious that whoever designed the city had a taste for immaculate architecture. The deeper we got the more signs of wear we started to see on the walls around us, but nothing was what I would have called "run-down." Whoever ran this place must really have a mind for business.

As we moved through the city we kept as close to the outer ring as possible since that's where the civilian quarters were. We had a few small skirmishes with Imperials along the way but each time we got into a firefight the Stormtroopers always fled. They weren't scared of us, and they had more than enough men to take us down. When we tried to go up, we couldn't get pass them, as we moved away from the upper levels it just seemed like we weren't worth their time.

From a window I saw the fabled Millennium Falcon fly past and shortly after we started running into Imperial troops who weren't so quick to run away. I guessed that the Princess had made it off the city and now any rebels became the Stormtrooper's next best target. Yeoman and I came up some stairs and around a corner and found a group of civilians fleeing an Imperial squad. We started shooting right away and worked to get the civilians out of the predicament they had fallen into.

9858418305_c049ec6365_c.jpg

9858257885_9402255766_c.jpg

9858206085_63c5d7cbe7_c.jpg

9858483133_7a2a099c45_c.jpg

9858239476_eb5623f692_c.jpg

9858267723_3b48eb7d0a_c.jpg

After the action:

9858142816_60bb8a2362_n.jpg9858132496_2d5d22fd7f_n.jpg9858162013_6a06a91d49_n.jpg

Comments are welcome.

Great minds think alike they say. This MOC reminds me of my entry a lot! I too created a Cloud City interior with all the white bricks I had ... I too used the cheese slopes for a mosaic floor and am just adding some finishing touches before taking pictures. I think the middle line of the floor work is a bit out of color, the tan lamps bother me as well - they stick out too much. I only used white and grays and tried adding the color with figures - white stormies, yeah I know ... Also the window on the inside is out of place. I guess most of the buildings in Cloud City are huge and round, which is nicely represented with the huge window. But the one on the inside makes it feel like it's a hall sticking out of the building, which I don't remember from the movies. I'd also add some more greeble work to the walls and make the top line continuous, maybe even add a ceiling. Looks like a lot of criticizing, but it's all little details, else the build is very nice as well as the Luke's hand detail. There's a bit of the story flaw though - you say you've reached the top chambers, but the fight took place deep under the city. I guess the went could have brought the hand up. :wink:

The white floors really engender cloud city feeling. Looks like a good start. Are you planning to build a micro scale city behind the window? That would be a great addition. The tunnel is in any case a smart build. And the hand with light sabre is a brillant idea. Hope you'll have enough time to finish it.

Nice update, the minifig positioning is nice and I like the removal of tan lights. The plants look interesting too. I was thinking of including them in my MOC but decided to skip that detail for I can't remember seeing any in the movies.

Nice MOC! The hallway and the angle windows later one are well done. I like your use of windows overall, especially with the Cloud City image behind. I also like your figure placement for the scene. I'd love to see more scenes as the action continues in your next build. Keep up the good work!

I really like the transition and the decoration in that foyer area. Very Cloud City-esque. :classic: I also like the inclusion of two different sides of Cloud City and the establishment of the setting with the addition of the tube with Luke's hand in it, even if that would be many levels below in the 'real' thing. For improvements, I think that some of the slight gaps in the bigger room make it look a little unfinished, and I think brick-built shapes are always better than stickers.

I really like the transition and the decoration in that foyer area. Very Cloud City-esque. :classic: I also like the inclusion of two different sides of Cloud City and the establishment of the setting with the addition of the tube with Luke's hand in it, even if that would be many levels below in the 'real' thing. For improvements, I think that some of the slight gaps in the bigger room make it look a little unfinished, and I think brick-built shapes are always better than stickers.

I tried to make it clear that my character had descended far enough for Luke's hand to be a logical inclusion. That was my intention at least... As far as stickers go, I hate them with a passion too. I think Lego should do more printing and less sticking. The only advantage is that I get more generic pieces when I don't apply my stickers. Which, is in all actuality, a huge plus. (Contradiction of my own thoughts, I know) For this build however, I felt that the stickers from the Jedi Shuttle fit cloud city so well I couldn't pass them up.

I tried to make it clear that my character had descended far enough for Luke's hand to be a logical inclusion. That was my intention at least...

Ah, I see. It's the big window that makes it look a lot like one of the big buildings up top. But in any case, like I said, I like the inclusion of the two together. :classic:

Good improvement of your entry! Now it's a really thrilling scene with all the figs. As I said before, the most genius part is the tube with Luke's hand. That's really a smart build. Good luck!

...For improvements, I think that some of the slight gaps in the bigger room make it look a little unfinished...

I forgot to reply to this earlier. The gaps are due to running out of white pieces. I have lots of black and grey but very few other colors for bricks. Building in Cloud City really stretched the limits of my collection. But I was determined to build something in white so that's why there were some gaps.

Nice update, the minifig positioning is nice and I like the removal of tan lights. The plants look interesting too. I was thinking of including them in my MOC but decided to skip that detail for I can't remember seeing any in the movies.

I think it's important to look beyond the movies. If it wasn't shown in the movies, as long as it fits in the Star Wars universe, I think it works for building material. Using only scenes from the movies seems to limit the building possibilities. And as we have seen from the Clone Wars cartoon and EU books, there is a lot more in the Star Wars universe that was never covered in the original films that can still be tapped.

Ah, I see. It's the big window that makes it look a lot like one of the big buildings up top. But in any case, like I said, I like the inclusion of the two together. :classic:

I guess I should have been more specific. My thinking was that because Cloud City is an orbital platform even levels lower down would still have large windows if they were on the edge of the platform. However, I completely misrepresented what I was trying to depict by having a picture of upper Cloud City as the scene beyond the window in my first picture. Whoops.