DrJB

Which set brought you out of your 'dark' age?

After my son was born, one day I was looking at my only set that remained from time before dark age, which was the 8862. I look at it, and as it was in poor condition I wanted to rebuild it for my son in future and I got addicted , again :)

Edited by AOW

8069... less than two years ago... by far not the best set - but it was a lot of building fun for me after ~ 30 years darkness and has fixed me on

Same set, first weeks of 2013, after 12 years on the "outside".

For me it was the 8258, then came the 8053, 8043. Now I have way too much, LOL. I went from maybe 2000 pieces in 09 too about 50,000 today, and i owe it all to the 8258,LOL.

For me it was the 8258, then came the 8053, 8043. Now I have way too much, LOL. I went from maybe 2000 pieces in 09 too about 50,000 today, and i owe it all to the 8258,LOL.

I am very similar.

I always told my wife (girlfriend at the time) to not buy me legos because I feared I would get sucked back and for valentines day of 2010 she bought me the 8263 snow groomer. Since I hadn't really experienced studless building yet (my last set was 8440 in 1995) it was totally different...and somehow the same and that was all the push I needed.

Anyway, 2M (yes milllion) parts later and lets just say its been an interesting 4 years.

I pick up an 8421 at a local store while really stressed during the finals for college, and then a year later the bulldozer, and since then just about every new technic set released after that.

8069 - low playability but good parts pack and great functions and good well and interesting design and enjoyable build

Edited by Kumbbl

Hello! I had never build Technic Legos in my life before (only normal legos when I was child) and I'm already 42... But half year ago "I loose my head" for Technic Legos and the set was 42030. Now I have that plus 42000 (and second one coming by post), 42025, 9396 (not build yet), 42028 (actually two but second one for parts), two 42036's, 42029 only for part donor, 42009 (not build yet), 8043 (not build yet), 42031, 42039 (not build yet) and 42032 + 42002 coming by post (for modding and for parts). Plus 42007 and some parts coming from Bricklink. Some may say it's only plastic but I love it :classic:

For me it was 8386, the Ferrari f1. I bought it for my wife for christmas, not having bought Lego for years. She thought it was a terrible gift. I still have the set and an ex-wife.

10212-1.jpg?2

not technic but this was it!

it has a technic skeleton and i needed to know more :blush:

That's quite a 'grandiose' way to make it back to Lego. Many of us took small 'hesitant' steps. You're very 'brave'.

For me it was 8386, the Ferrari f1. I bought it for my wife for christmas, not having bought Lego for years. She thought it was a terrible gift. I still have the set and an ex-wife.

They say about expensive DSLR cameras and Legos: If you really want them, you buy them as a gift for your wife, and most of the time they'll end up yours.

That's quite a 'grandiose' way to make it back to Lego. Many of us took small 'hesitant' steps. You're very 'brave'..

bought 60010 city fire rescue helicopter for my son who had just turned 4. had to help him build it

60010-1.jpg?1

decided to see what else was on offer. came across the IMPERIAL SHUTTLE! had to have it

but as far as the first technic set. this for me was first tech build

8146-1.jpg?0

was hooked!!! :tongue:

http://rebrickable.com/profile/dougstar/sets

I got an 8048 Buggy for Christmas and that brought me out of the dark ages and into technic at the same time.

Within a week of getting it I already created my first MOC!

MOC-0332.jpg

8070. The latest supercar. I am late to the game, and realize I missed out on many really cool sets. Kinda makes me sad, but I am at least back in full throttle!

I have since purchased at least one set that existed well before 8070.... the Super Street Sensation. Although it is certainly older, I got the 8070 first.

First I built it... then I realized that I could modifty it, then I realized I could MOC and I was hooked.

8070 for me too. I spotted it discounted at my local supermarket nearly 4 years ago, when I had very recently become a father. It immediately brought me fond memories of 8865 which was my first Technic set ever when I was 7.

Imagine what can 8865 make a 7-year-old feel, back in the 80s. Imagine feeling that again 25 years later :)

I know this thread is dated, but I was recently reading through it. It appears that the 8070 brought many back to life..... LEGO life that is. Not just the last several posts.... but if you look to the first posts on this thread you will see commentors whose first love (or the re-awakening love) was the 8070 as well.

My question is regarding a C model.... purportedly the Pagoni Zonda. I have heard that there are instructions out for this model... in Technic, using the pieces from the 8070. Anyone know of this? I have an 8070 still in mint condition and was wondering if I should try and build the Pagoni.

I loved building LEGO when I was a kid, it kept me busy for hours at a time. I say building, because to make things always seemed to fascinate me more than playing with it. Of course, I want to see that it works, but... after that... what's next thing I can make? The same today, really.

Anyway, what brought me out of the dark ages, was that I picked up 8047 at the local grocery(!) in 2011. At that time our oldest son was 3 months old, and my wife said: "Its years before he can play with that!". I replied: "It's not for him, it's for you". She never had played with LEGO in her life (OK, I know studless Technic perhaps is not what most people associate with LEGO), and the next 1-2 hours she was busy... I remember I was impressed she got it all right in first try. And then two more small sets, and now I also got involved in the building process. And I was lost. Again. Next thing I know, I looked at the 8069 in the toy store, and after that... well that's more than 70k parts ago.

I know this thread is dated, but I was recently reading through it. It appears that the 8070 brought many back to life..... LEGO life that is. Not just the last several posts.... but if you look to the first posts on this thread you will see commentors whose first love (or the re-awakening love) was the 8070 as well.

My question is regarding a C model.... purportedly the Pagoni Zonda. I have heard that there are instructions out for this model... in Technic, using the pieces from the 8070. Anyone know of this? I have an 8070 still in mint condition and was wondering if I should try and build the Pagoni.

Here you go ... Pagani Zonda

Edited by AndroTech

What counts as a dark age i wonder? anyway, i used to collect a lot of Bionicle stuff many years ago, after quite a while of not having much interest, i was helping a younger relative build some hero factory thing, i realized that i still loved building things, and together with an ad for the 9398 that i saw just moments later i started looking into more Technic stuff, then last October i purchased a 42030 and now i have 11 total sets, including 8110, 9398, 42009, and 42030! i guess m hooked!

8110 Unimog really got my attention, but it was not until I got 42008 from my kids that I took the step from playing with my kids to build on my own.

Many years ago, I fell in love with 8466. I had'nt purchased any lego for many years but this set had everything. Working suspension, 4 wheel drive, differentials, working transmission, huge wheels and a massive collection of parts I had never seen! I immediately bought the power puller after building the Offroader and started buying used technic sets online to bolster my collection. I took a hiatus for many years after this though and I had a similar experience this year.

Recently I discovered 42009. It was released on my birthday, and I loved it instantly. Linear Actuators (something I always wanted in Lego), TONS of gears, gearboxes, lots of functions, and it was a crane (I love construction equipment). I waited a bit to purchase it as I had just bought a house and money was tight, but after buying that set, it got me back into Lego in a ridiculous way.

In the last 4 months I have bought:

and 2 of the 8293 PF Sets

Growing up in the 60's/70's and being exposed to (now vintage) muscle cars, and driving one - a modified 1964 Chevy, caused an immediate attachment to 41999.