DrJB

Which set brought you out of your 'dark' age?

The set that brought me back was the 8157 Ferrari F1. But if you're asking for Technic sets, then 8258.

Ahah that was the set that brought me out of the 'dark' age too !

:classic:

As for Technic? 42001 Mini Off-roader and 42020 Twin-Rotor Helicopter were the first two I got after the Dark Age, but 42022 Hot Rod was the one that set me on a long path towards building more and more sophisticated builds.

In my case it wasn't a set but a MOC that woke me up: Nathanaël Kuipers' Concept 4x4.

12831891527_DISPLAY.jpg

I started oiff with 850: Fork-Lift Truck, 8844: Helicopter, 8845: Dune Buggy and 8848: Power Truck, which my parents gave me for subsequent birthdays. But quite soon I was only interested in building my own car, a car that should be able to go anywhere without really showing off. So as of 1982 or so I was no longer interested in specific sets and started ordering individual parts from Lego. But over the years I lost my interest.

But now my son is gardually becomming as enthousiastic about Lego as I was when I was a child. He builds his sets over and over again and sometimes even likes to read building instructions as bedtime stories, haha. This has revived my own interest in Lego as well, in Lego Technic to be more specific. So since a few month I continued where I left off 25 years ago; in pursuit of this self-designed adventurous though modest vehicle that can go on any terrain. In that process I stumbled upon a model that really appealed to me: the Concept 4x4 from - the master himself - Nathanaël Kuipers. That model has been a great inspiration and triggered me to explore my own ideas again. That's how I got out of my 'dark age'.

Regards,

Diederik

42009 and right after 9398 thanks to my wife. She had no idea how bad it was going to get! :laugh: :laugh: My son was getting in to LEGO, but I wasn't back until I had my hands on a Technic set.

After over two decades of Lego in my life, I've finally purchased my first Technic set.....42043. I've always been a fan of the larger Technic sets.

So begins a new chapter after a considerable downsize and refocus of my collection.

It was 8421 crane that my wife bought for me and the second one she bought for me was the towtruck 8285. I was making Italery and Revell trucks for a while but could not find any more space in the house to display them so she thought that if i would use Lego i could use the parts more then one time. We now have more then 50 large Technic sets and some of them two or three the same. The Lego curse stroke hard but that does not matter.

I don't recall having any Lego as a child, although some of my friends did. I developed an intellectual interest in Mindstorms in the early 1990s after meeting Seymour Papert, the 'father' of Logo (I still love this language). Still no Lego, though. When our son was born in 2013, I bought us a large box of Primo. This was followed by our first set, the legendary 10507 - Duplo: My First Train Set ;) Then, somehow, early this year I stumbled across a Lego rock crawler on YouTube, which opened up the world of Technic for me. 9398 seemed like an appropriate set to start with.

I'm not really sure that a single set is responsible for bringing me out of my lego dark age.

The last set I got/played with was the 8868 pneumatic truck crane.

It felt like the limit of what lego could do, glad I was wrong about that.

What got me back was more that having a kid required me to play with toys which brought out the need to play with more constructive toys and I dug out the old 2x3 foot rubber maid container with a ton of lego. Needless to say they were too small for a 16month old. So I started eyeing duplo for my kid and found the 42009 MKII crane and my interest was peaked, but I did not buy it.

Next I found the volvo loader to be even more interesting as an RC vehicle, but the lego store online was out of stock in Canada last year from september to about november, so I didn't get to buy that set right away either because I had not got out of the dark age yet and thought it too silly to go buy lego at a toy store for myself.

I then found a great deal on 1200+ pieces of duplo for a couple hundred so I couldn't resist. Just made an eiffel tower out of duplo with my two year old yesterday, he put a crane an top; awesome.

The final straw was building the 2nd millenium falcon with coworkers over the course of a couple weeks during our lunch.

Finally I went to a TRU store and looked at everything. I found the 4x4 rock crawler in stock and bought it, then another, then the volvo, then two container trucks, then the mkII crane all in the span of a month. That was followed by the blue freight train, tower of orthanc, mini cooper, blue power jet(x2), pirates chess, and a pile of pieces off bricklink to make my own steam tank engines, ninjago city, seatle space needle, flatiron building, and 4x rey speeders for another dark red tank engine. This was all from last october so I kinda burnt a hole in my wallet.

Now I'm saving whatever I can for this fall's technic sets.

I'm always amazed how much my two year old loves the MKII crane and the volvo loader. I've rebuilt the two crawlers into a massive scale volvo 40 series dumper to match the loader and it is a huge hit even as a WIP.

Much like Cloud above, I was brought back to Lego by my now 6 and 3 year old sons who started with Duplo and are now moving onto more complex sets. 

Some time ago a couple of bits of their #60215 Fire Station got damaged so I went looking online to see if I could buy just the broken bits... Well, of course I discovered BrickLink, BrickOwl, Rebrickable, MOCs, alternate builds and so on, and my life was changed forever! 

After living space and technic as a kid, my own kids gave me an excuse to buy Lego again. I got a big (huge) box of bricks for my son when we moved house 8 years ago, then realised I could get stuff for myself too.
Mars Curiosity River was my first set, it really piqued my interest. Soon followed by 42030 Volvo loader (still one of my favourites, yet to be matched from a playability point of view). 
Many technic and NASA sets later, am now running into storage problems. 

@olliewills

Glad we can conclude this, then.
No need to remove the community posts in the topics you have revived.
I have hidden posts in this topic that are not related to the theme.

In my case, it was 42029 Pickup (in somewhere around 2016), which I got as a present from my old friend. It returned me back to the light, now to the studless one.

My dark ages started in the late 1990' when only studded ones were presented and studless slightly started appearing, as just identical beams but with no stud "spikes". That set revealed to me the full glory of studless beams, with 3D building, new bevel gears, steering hubs, and all well-known new things. It was a moment of literal re-discovery of the Technic theme, from "just these brisk with holes" to the surprisingly authentic structure of real machinery.
Later I found I could accomplish it with a PF set, and... You know how it may happen :laugh:

Edited by Void_S

42046 as a gift. First sets I bought with my money - 42031 and 42037.
Never stopped buying Technic since.

Originally in 2006 it was a 8674 Ferrari F1 Car to make sure I was up to the task of helping my young children with Lego models.

I still own it with replaced aftermarket stickers now.

Another dark age followed but a Lamborghini Sian brought me back to Technics.

Edited by williamyzfr1

I thought I was "too old" for Legos when I turned 13. But at 42, I discovered set 9700, Technic Control Center.