DrJB

Which set brought you out of your 'dark' age?

It's a universally accepted fact that, after the dark ages, come the EXPENSIVE years.

Wauw soo inspiring, reading your stories..

Telling me I am not the only 34 year old playing with LEGO..

Born in 1980, played with LEGO through the 80's

Applying for job with LEGO in Billund in 1990, :) recieving a nice letter to apply again when I grew older.. :)

My last set was 8880 in '94.

Then, there it was! In 2003 i saw the 8455 in a shop. I never had pneumatics before, and i was in love with that complexity. 8455 still stands as a milestone to me...

I went back to the Dark ages, but never disassembled 8455.

Then in 2010 I Got the 8275 from a relative, Working with LEGO in Billund, and I was hooked. The combination of pneumatics and PF Got me!

I watched Zblj's bulldozer on YT at that time and also discovered Sariel and was immensely inspired!

I have veen buying the flagship each year ever since, MODing them all with PF

Then I discovered BRicklink and now it's spiralling!

When I saw the video of the arocs, 42043

I had to share my enthusiasm with someone, and made a profile here on eurobricks two weeks ago... Been stalking in here for years...

Cheers!

Edited by H3NRIK

This thread got started in Sept 2013, and is now seeing a new wave of interest.

Is it appropriate to say it too, is coming back from its own dark age?

Edited by DrJB

I've technically only just come out of my 'Technic' dark age even though I've been collecting Lego for the past 10 years, It was the latest Arctic Truck set that brought me back into Technic, since then I've only bought the Container Truck, but I'm planning a massive spending spree soon, any ideas for which sets to get ?

And then, once you have them all, you'll be pondering which are you favorite, with thoughts of down-sizing constantly haunting you ... unless you're Blakbird of course.

with thoughts of down-sizing constantly haunting you ...

Blaspheme! we will hear nothing of the the thought!

hahahaah ..... but seriously! :laugh:

8880 ended my dark age in 2007. I've always wanted one as a kid. When looking for building instructions for my brother's Ninja set, I discovered the AFOL community, as well as an 8880 at Marktplaats, a sort of Dutch Ebay site.

42009. I saw an article on Oppositelock/Jalopnik about the 8110 Unimog which sparked my interest in Lego again. The article was posted only recently, and by then the 8110 was already sold out. I was going through the TLC website and that's when I stumbled upon the beauty that is the 42009.

And then, once you have them all, you'll be pondering which are you favorite, with thoughts of down-sizing constantly haunting you ... unless you're Blakbird of course.

I am not immune to those thoughts. In fact I am currently going through a big batch of downsizing.

I am not immune to those thoughts. In fact I am currently going through a big batch of downsizing.

Just sold a batch of 130 Technic sets (one buyer) since I just had too much. Believe me, you will end up with too much and then have nothing to do but sell it. The good news is that its hard to lose money.

My Mum bought me 8256 for Chrismas in 2010. I built an elephant with it - I never did like following instructions.

One new AFOL bought 16 technic sets of me in the last 2 weeks and he says he will be back for more soon.

After not building with (Technic) Lego for more than twenty years I decided to buy the 42009 crane last Christmas. It was more an impulse purchase because I saw it on a large online shop with a great discount. But well, I couldn't imagine how much fun it would be to build the crane and spend hours and hours on it until I finished the build.

It was so much fun that I immediately started to look for other sets and since last Christmas I got the Volvo Wheel Loader (42030), Service Truck (42008), Cargo Plane (42025), the Pickup Truck (42029) and yesterday I stumbled upon the Unimog at my local Lego store which could be the largest Lego store here in Holland. It was their last Unimog and I could get it for a very nice price.

So far I the Volvo Wheel Loader is the set that I like the most but after starting to build the Unimog last night I might think that the Unimog could be my favourite new set :laugh:

Edited by NioN

Question is self explanatory ... Which set, made you realize Technic has undergone a radical transformation, and it was time for you to come back?

For me, it worked vice versa.When I realized that Technic had undergone a radical transformation, i tried 2-3 sets. But I didn't like it, and this was the initial impulse to start and comeback and buy all the old studded technic sets that I missed as a child.

Lego practicaly defined my childhood in a late '80s and '90s, mostly pirates and castle, some city, but almost no technic except few smaller sets.

few months ago i decided that dark ages are finally over and the lego renaissance started based on technic(al) revolution with 42009.

Now, 3 months later, i own 42008, 42009, 42025, 42028, 42030, 42036 and 75059.

My wallet isn't pretty happy on my decision to go with technic and SW.

We have mutual agreement that under no circumstance i am to show interest in trains. That includes even looking at them on the web.

Always had lego as a kid but split among many other toys and interest. After a few years of different things (not sure I'd call an official dark age) I saw the technic line on Lego's official website after stumbling there out of pure random time consumption. Shortly after I found 8292 in a local store on sale after never seeing a technic set before, and I had to have it, and through much luck had the "pocket money" to do so. Then it was game on. And since then, the last year especially (after getting my first full time job), I have spent thousands catching up on all I missed, and have many more thousand to go, but I don't intend to leave again willingly if my situation permits me to keep my passion.

We have mutual agreement that under no circumstance i am to show interest in trains. That includes even looking at them on the web.

:laugh: I wish I had had that agreement back then. But after collecting Technic flagships and Model Team sets I stared at videos about 7740 and 4558 on youtube for hours and rationalism was gone...

My wallet isn't pretty happy on my decision to go with technic and SW.

I recognise your troubles. Once it became clear to me that emerging from my dark ages wouldn't be limited to just one set, I promised myself to restrict myself to just one Lego theme: Technic. The temptation of big Creator sets as the Sopwith planes, the VW Beetle, T1 camper and MINI Cooper was very big, but I resisted the urge because I know myself too well: Once I buy one, my collecting drift will lead me to buy more. My wallet wouldn't thank me for that.

I came out of the dark age buying the 8043 excavator, later the crawler 9398.

After that i bought/build 8110, 41999(yellow) and 8297.

Edited by Rainbow

DrJB:

I have downloaded the building instructions at the Lego site and collected all parts.

Martin

Better late than never? I finally got around to posting in this one. I started to pull out my studs back out in 2010 after about 12 years of silence. Then I got the 8043 and felt like I a 10 year old again!

Have added 42000, 42020, 42021, 42029, and 42030 plus various bricklink orders.