DrJB

Which set brought you out of your 'dark' age?

The last technic set that I bought as A child, was 8856 Whirlwind Rescue.

Waht brought me back around 2006-2007 were the vintage Technic sets that I wanted to have as a child, but couldn't.

E.g. sets like 8862, 8855, 8094. Thanks to eBay and BL, I was able to buy some classic technic sets in MISB state at reasonable prices.

Usually, I buy MISb sets with crushed boxes, because I like to build them with unused bricks.

I also bought some modern sets like 8070, 8109, 9798 but I prefer the classic studded building style instead of the modern studless models.

My sister bought me the Lego Creator Red Rotors (31003) set as a small Christmas gift. I had so much fun putting it together I bought the Space Shuttle (10231) with my gift cards and I was hooked again.

Edit- Sorry - followed the link from the Community Index, didn't realize this was a technic thread.

Edited by BirdOPrey5

10218 Pet Shop and 10224 Town Hall. But for Technic sets, it was 42009.

Bricklinking the missing parts from 8865 did it for me. I bought the front end suspension/steering parts via lego service in the 90s but never built it up properly in its own right. Then after ebaying 8868 there was no going back.

My last Technic set as a kid was the 8459 Front-end Loader. During about the decade of my Dark ages, I was very tempted to buy the 8416 Forklift because of its double section boom, something I tried to build, unsuccessfully. I had similar fascination with the 8294 Excavator. I didn’t buy these, but they made me realize that the studless design created possibilities which were previously impossible with the studded system. I hesitated a long time, because after all, what can a grown-up possibly do with a toy?

Eventually I gave in to the urge and bought the 8288 Crawler crane because it was so unusual in my eyes: small scale, big set, manually operated through winches, unusual color scheme and it had tracks (law of nature: all tracked machines are cool). After building it, it remained mainly a display model.

The second studless set opened the gates and unsurprisingly it was the legendary 8258 Crane Truck. Since then I bought most flagship models and others that inspired me, gradually performing increasingly complex MODs. Only the last few years I felt I had enough insight in the studless design to start designing and building my own MOCs.

For me, 8110... i had moved recently, and while i was bulding my old sets i saw the 8110 and felt in love. I had bulit the old 8846 (Tow Truck) and the 857 (side-car), back from the time when one set had only like 10 pages of instructions, and then, BANG!! 8110 with all those instructions and parts ehehehehh

8043, at first sight i was intrigued by all the RC functions and when building it i became fascinated by the complexity of the gearing and the elegant engineering. The set was a huge inspiration.

Nice treat! :thumbup:

For me, the set that brought me from my dark age was a gift from my girlfriend, the 8291

8291-1.jpg Now, it looks like this: 1321539926m_THUMB.jpg:sweet:

There was really 3 sets that brought me out of the dark ages. First I bought the RCX 2.0 for a project at my university in the last year of my bachelor degree. Then about a year after I finished the degree and got a job I bought the BIG Millennium falcon. i had found out about it while researching the project with the RCX, and was waiting for it to become available. A couple of months later my girlfriend moved out, and I watched a program on Discovery where the Howe and Howe Ripsaw was presented. I bought first one of the PF bulldozer, and had my parents send all my old lego, then I bought another bulldozer to get enough parts to recreate the Ripsaw, and it quickly expanded from there. I have since bought more than 50 Technic sets (mostly for parts), both new and old, and do now have a considerable collection.

And now I've had a hiatus from Lego for about a year do to time constrains (two small kids (two and five years old), a house in need of repair, 3 old cars that needed maintenance, built a new garage), but I'm slowly getting back. But no specific set recalled me this time. I simply needed to scratch my back and made a robotic hand for it... Then the oldest kid got a RC car, and I had to make one of lego for the youngest one. Then suddenly I was back here...

-ED-

The Lego Technic 8462 Tow truck bring me back from the dark age. At that time i was lucky to get this set with 40% off from toy shop. Before that i only have the 8880 , 8485 , 8459, and small technic set. The 8462 totally change from the stud to studless design at that time.

I get my 8258 after 10 years, The set with power function give me more ideas in my MOC.

I didn't have Technics as a kid. It wasn't around back then. 8294 got me into Technics.

2 years ago, 8043 followed in a week by 8110, still have my pre dark age technic lego, but did not use them since. I think I keep them for my son (6).

Ah and last set before dark age started was 8860

the creator line, bought a few, messed around with them

then bought every technic set I could lay eyes on :D

The 8043!

Best set so far..

Or actually.. I first build the 8880 (my father in law owns one). This got me into looking at Technic Lego in a toy shop again.

And after buying the excavator I was hooked again!

Baaaaaad set to start with If you don 't want to get yourself addicted :blush:

Edited by bord4kop

For me it was the 8043. Because...... what's not to like about it. Functions are great and a very playable B-model.

8069... less than two years ago... by far not the best set - but it was a lot of building fun for me after ~ 30 years darkness and has fixed me on ;-)... so i have collected quite all interestings sets from < 10 (the 80ies sets from my childhood i found on the attic) to about 110 sets in less than two years..

found all my lego from my childhood and have been building with my kids (5 & 2). I was a big technic fan! just purchased 42024,42006, motor kit &, 42025.

I'm 33 married and need to convince wife this is a adults hobby too.

As a child I had 30+ Town sets and 1 Technic, the cheap but very good 1972 Go-kart. I think I gave up Lego when I was 15 getting a Commodore64 then a 486. The dark age began.

2 years ago when my son was 2 he received the 1st Duplo set, 5507. In some months we bought several Duplo sets too. I started to build cars, planes, etc. from Duplo. That is fun! :wink:

Last Christmas I started to build all the old Town sets, getting the missing parts from Bricklink. He was amazed about the available options comparing to the Duplo parts.

The dark age ended, in January I bought 6753 Highway Transport and another 10 Creator sets, mainly houses.

And please forgive me, 2 weeks ago I bought a new looking 5580 Highway Rig for $50. It was not complete I had to buy some parts for $5 :grin: .

Now I'm 36, checking eurobricks twice a day and building LDD Technic models. My wife now has 3 children including me. :blush:

Thanks for reading!

(my sets)

For me it was 8386. Those wheels! Within two months I bought 8880.

Gosh, that was close to ten years ago already.

The last set of my adolescence was 8437 Future car ... Back in the technic-world with the amazing 8480 Spaceshuttle and the imperious 8258 Crane truck

8455, But true inspiration of come back was moc of backhoe loader, and I needed parts, and 8455 was a parts donor.