DrJB

Which set brought you out of your 'dark' age?

From my wife i got in Nov 2012 the 8069 Backhoe (birthday)... this has fixed me on, so i bought until now quite all interesting sets... currently 62 (52 unique)...

legos.jpg

So you see, this little cute 8069 Backhoe has full success getting me back from my dark ages :wink: - The old sets (all until 8859, 8860) could be rescued from the attic of my parents house...and after suviving the washing machine they are looking as new as for 35 years...

That picture simply does not do the 8258 set justice. There is so much functionality in that set, it's way beyond the average technic. It is one of my all time favorites. I feel TLG could have done a better job in better advertising that set and the photos on the box. The crane part is ingenious, both with LAs and motorized rotation, and yet you see very little of it, as it is obscured by the square cab. Lastly, I got 3 such sets ... one open built, others still sealed, .... who knows, saved for the next generation.

Edited by DrJB

That picture simply does not do the 8258 set justice. There is so much functionality in that set, it's way beyond the average technic. It is one of my all time favorites. I feel TLG could have done a better job in better advertising that set and the photos on the box. The crane part is ingenious, both with LAs and motorized rotation, and yet you see very little of it, as it is obscured by the square cab.

100% agree - but i strongly recommend applying the MODifications of Designer Han (http://www.designer-han.nl/lego/original%20modifications.htm) as i have described in this thread: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=84973&hl=

I reconnected with Lego while on holidays in Hawaii in late 2011, I was in a mall and saw a Lego store, I said to my wife "wow they have stores just for Lego, we don't have them in Australia"

So I walked in and saw 10220 VW kombi van and bought it straight away.

I admired 8070 on the shelf and commented that technic had come a long way since I was a kid

I returned the next day and bought 8070........

I have my own Lego room and thousands of spare parts now and I'm really enjoying making MOC's

:-)

The set that brought me out of my dark ages was the 8448 Super Street Sensation.

And I still consider it my favorite out of all the Technic sets I own :)

My last Technic set was 8868 in my childhood and the set that brought me out of dark ages was the 8455 Backhoe back in late 2006. At that time it was no longer available in my country but I managed to purchase it MISB from Germany at retail price. I still consider it one of the best Technic sets. Not much later I bought 8421...

There was a Lego point collection rebate (or whatever it's called in English) in 2011 at Match, and one of the few sets you could purchase cheaper was the 8052. I bought it immediately when I got the points for it. Then reassembled my old 8880 and took it to my then-current rent, then I started to build a Tatra suspension (what else...) Then two weeks later I bought 8265 and built my first MOC after 10-12 years of 'Dark age'.

Edited by Lipko

For me, it was the 8070, as well.

Also 8070+8043 at 2011

I think 8258 and 8043 played a part as I always looked at lego images. I would still love to get my hands on 8258, I have the building instructions so hopefully I will have enough of the right parts to build it soon. It is a good looking set.

H

It was the 8051 Motorbike. I thought it looked like pure awesomeness and had to have it. Then it just went bananas after that. I wish I can find the 8109 at Toys R Us sometimes. That's how I picked up the 8263 snow groomer.

Here is my case:

8043 - Sold after 1 month, back to Dark Ages

8110 - Sold after 1 week, back to Dark Ages

41999 - Going fine after 2 months! :)

Nice Thread! Seems like a lot got back into it with 8070, and the same applied to me, but it really was the crawler that started my obsession of again.

On A work holiday I saw it in a store, and practically screamed "Omg its RC"!!!!

I brought it instantly not realizing I had a 5KM walk/bus ride back to the hotel. DOH

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

In my case the main driver was my five year old son getting interested in LEGO and becoming fascinated with mechanisms using gears, e.g., the gearbox and steering on the 8865 Test Car. The first new LEGO set we bought as a `father and son' project (the `help' makes the build take longer but that's not the point :classic: ) was the 8043 Motorized Excavator because junior particularly likes construction machinery.

The Super Car 8880 was the set that brought me out of the dark ages in 1995.

I started building with Lego when I was 4 years old. That time I only had normal Lego.

When I was 11 years old, I got my first technic model the Fork-Lift 850 (1977).

tn_850-1_jpg.jpg

My "dark ages" started in 1984, I was 16 years old and wasn't buying any boxes at that time.

I told my mother that if Lego every came with pneumatic elements I would buy one.

That same year Lego came with the first pneumatic elements and I got me the Excavator 8851.

tn_8851-1_jpg.jpg

I can not really say it where the dark ages although I did not buy any Lego until 1995.

Instead I collected every catalog and kept on playing now and then.

I bought only (technic) parts, mostly wheels and pneumatic elements and no sets.

The pneumatic cylinders I used for suspensions of my cars.

At that time I only build futuristic trucks. The last I build in 1988 and was in one piece until 1996.

GalleryFile.gif

In 1995 I bought the Super Car 8880, and I still regret I did not buy more because they where only 45 euro!

tn_8880-1_jpg.jpg

Since that time I buy one box a year, mostly the flagship.

Mike

The set that brought me back was the 8157 Ferrari F1. But if you're asking for Technic sets, then 8258.

i am still in my 'dark age' i'm ten years old and have been waiting for a lego set for more than 5 1/2 months

the set i got was 4430

it was before this darkage

:angry:

i am still in my 'dark age' i'm ??? years old and have been waiting for a lego set for more than 5 1/2 months

the set i got was 4430

You might not want to state your age on the forum

Edited by Rishab N

i am still in my 'dark age' i'm ??? years old and have been waiting for a lego set for more than 5 1/2 months

the set i got was 4430

Good idea to edit your post and REMOVE your age

You might not want to state your age on the forum

You should edit your post as well and EDIT the quote then remove his age.

Edited by DrJB