Sign in to follow this  
Legoking

Thinking about selling my entire lego collection (306 sets)

Thinking about selling my entire lego collection as one lot. Am starting to move on in life, as I still like discussing and talking about lego on Eurobricks, I don't see a need to have this many sets anymore. The majority of my collection are opened sets on display in my closet. All are 100 percent complete with a large percentage that have both boxes and instructions. There are only a few sets in which they are missing the instructions and/or original box. Quite a few sets are unopened and mint in their box. Have a lot of star wars sets. Roughly have several hundred loose minifigs ranging from any theme you can think of, a lot of star wars minifigs as well. This is my set list- http://brickset.com/search/?ownedBy=legocollector . As I am at college currently and cannot take any pictures until I get home in the fall. Where would be the best place to sell everything as one giant lot? Or if any of my fellow eurobrick members are interested.

Thanks,

LegoKing

eBay is the best place to sell. You have a wider audience. But, you must be prepared to make a good presentation in your auction. Good pictures, descriptive text advising the potential buyer of any wear, defects, missing pieces, etc. Be prepared to deal with the public in all of its glory. I never like selling large lots. While it seems like its easier, you are usually giving a discount by selling as a lot and the shipping can pose more problems.

Just my thoughts. I sold on ebay for about ten years but got tired of the hassle. With that said, it still gives you the widest audience and that usually equals a higher price.

eBay is the best place to sell. You have a wider audience. But, you must be prepared to make a good presentation in your auction. Good pictures, descriptive text advising the potential buyer of any wear, defects, missing pieces, etc. Be prepared to deal with the public in all of its glory. I never like selling large lots. While it seems like its easier, you are usually giving a discount by selling as a lot and the shipping can pose more problems.

Just my thoughts. I sold on ebay for about ten years but got tired of the hassle. With that said, it still gives you the widest audience and that usually equals a higher price.

Thanks for the advice. That does make sense, only bad part about ebay is the 10 percent fees. Down side to selling individually is that it would be very time consuming.

@Legoking

You might want to really think about this. My son disposed of his 1980's LEGO collection in the early to mid 1990's. I disposed of my mid 1990's LEGO collection, mostly the space theme of the time. Then 10+ years later in the mid 2000's I got interested in LEGO again. I wish I still had those sets, they would cost a small fortune to replace now, I will not replace them, rather have new sets for the money, but I still wish I still had them. My son (now in his early 30's) has also rekindled his interest in LEGO.

I now have a newly remodled room hat is used excluively for LEGO (my son got married and moved out, I got one of his rooms, my wife got the other)

If you really need money, then there may be no other way. When I got rid of my LEGO I thought I was done. Now I am more involved than ever before.

Think about it...

IHTH

Andy D

Thanks for the advice. That does make sense, only bad part about ebay is the 10 percent fees. Down side to selling individually is that it would be very time consuming.

There is also another bad part about eBay: scammers. PayPal/eBay greatly favors the buyer in transactions and this can lead to scamming the individual who is selling the item(s). Requiring a signature and shipping to a verified address will help in case such an instance does occur, though.

@Legoking

You might want to really think about this. My son disposed of his 1980's LEGO collection in the early to mid 1990's. I disposed of my mid 1990's LEGO collection, mostly the space theme of the time. Then 10+ years later in the mid 2000's I got interested in LEGO again. I wish I still had those sets, they would cost a small fortune to replace now, I will not replace them, rather have new sets for the money, but I still wish I still had them. My son (now in his early 30's) has also rekindled his interest in LEGO.

I now have a newly remodled room hat is used excluively for LEGO (my son got married and moved out, I got one of his rooms, my wife got the other)

If you really need money, then there may be no other way. When I got rid of my LEGO I thought I was done. Now I am more involved than ever before.

Think about it...

IHTH

Andy D

I've been collecting Lego since I was 3, so I have a strong passion for it. Not really doing it because I need money or space issues, but because it just sits there and lost my love for Lego. That really will make me think after you're story Andy. I have only a few 80's space sets and such, but those are quite valuable now a days. Thanks for that story though. This will be a tough choice.

There is also another bad part about eBay: scammers. PayPal/eBay greatly favors the buyer in transactions and this can lead to scamming the individual who is selling the item(s). Requiring a signature and shipping to a verified address will help in case such an instance does occur, though.

That is true, and you do make a valid point. This would be a large sum of money and I would say that there is someone out there to try and scam me. Thanks for that pointer.

Well, if you sell to many different individuals, then you can generally avoid losing everything in a big scam. Documentation is they key, if you can document that you've done everything and have proofs of delivery, then you generally are in good shape. I think your big decision is selling it as one big lot---- making things easy for your self ------or selling it off in pieces and probably getting more money when all is said and done.

What ever you do, don't allow someone to cherry pick the collection unless they pay what you feel is a good premium for the items.

Well, if you sell to many different individuals, then you can generally avoid losing everything in a big scam. Documentation is they key, if you can document that you've done everything and have proofs of delivery, then you generally are in good shape. I think your big decision is selling it as one big lot---- making things easy for your self ------or selling it off in pieces and probably getting more money when all is said and done.

What ever you do, don't allow someone to cherry pick the collection unless they pay what you feel is a good premium for the items.

Thanks for that recommendation. I know the values of the sets I have, not worried there. I believe to maximize profit, it would be to sell everything individually, but that is really time consuming.

Well selling this in 1 big lot would be tough and might take a long time....

You should sell the valueable sets alone...

I personally would be interested in 3-4 sets but a whole lot like this costs way too much for majority to buy!

Well selling this in 1 big lot would be tough and might take a long time....

You should sell the valueable sets alone...

I personally would be interested in 3-4 sets but a whole lot like this costs way too much for majority to buy!

You do make a valid point as to selling the entire lot as one. It would take a long time to find a buyer since it would be quite a bit of money. Yeah, wouldn't really be interested in selling only a few. Thanks though.

LegoKing

You do make a valid point as to selling the entire lot as one. It would take a long time to find a buyer since it would be quite a bit of money. Yeah, wouldn't really be interested in selling only a few. Thanks though.

LegoKing

Yeah I understand... but lets say how much would you Estimate your lot?

There is how much? 300 sets? A little less with those stuff added on brickset...

Thing is EVEN if anyone WOULD be willing to shed like five digit number into your inventory he would expect some royal discount (30%+)

Not to mention anyone buying in such quantities should have to pick it up because shipping would be enormous...

I think your best bet IF you want to get rid of the collection and make decent money is to sell by theme...

Group all Pirate stuff, Space stuff, Harry Potter... and sell it as that....

That way you do attract buyers who only want certain theme and it would cost way less overall ... and it would not be much more work... maybe instead of 1 sale youd sell like 20 times... way better than 200+ times :D

If you don't need the money, bag them up and store them somewhere safe.

1. If you don't change your mind, you will still be able to sell later

2. If you do change your mind you will still have them.

3. A collection is a great gift to pass on to your kids or grand kids someday... Or nieces, nephews, etc.

Don't sell them! :)

You live in new york? In in northern NJ Which sets are unopened in the box? I would be interested in taking some off your hands if you wouldnt mind letting me know which ones are still NIB. Thanks!

Sign in to follow this