ProfessorChaos

[MOC] Romanesque Church

Wow! Incredible scale, color scheme, and details! I'm shocked you were able to make it so big, yet seamlessly studless! Incredible work!

Very nice detailed build. I like the tile roof and floor particularly.

I know it is heresy but I really like how you left out the minifigs. I enjoy architectural MOCs that have a high degree of realsim like yours. Nothing pulls down the veil of realism quicker for me than a bunch of minifigs running around. I know, I know, minifigs are great in a lot of places, you need them to tell a story, and create scenes, but for just the architecture, I prefer the little guys stay at home.

Wow that's incredible! As an architecture fan I always like to see Lego creation. There are some details really awesome that I have to point out. First the roof tiles, secondly the floor tiles and thirdly the colour agencement of the bricks!

Well done!

Great job! It seems LEGO is perfectly fit for this type of building. Those arches, columns and simple mosaics look excellent and appropriate. Of course the roof and the wall details diserve of course special mention.

Overall fantastic MOC! But if it's a church, where's the cross? Otherwise, it could pass for a castle as well.

I'm impressed by the floor decorations. Did you fixed the slopes in some ways or are they just put on tiles?

Impressive build! As others have said the wall and floor detailing are excellent :thumbup: I also like the windows, they look very accurate to Romanesque cathedrals :classic:

Wow - I love the interior. It's so realistic!

I also like the tiling on the floor in the central part of the chapel - it's a great detail. The tiling on the roof is fantastic as well.

Excellent interior space! Was this based on any specific building?

It is not based on a specific building, but i let myself be inspired by differnet buildings.

For the color scheme and the windows i looked at this, Speyer in Germany:

709px-SpeyererDom_vonSuedWesten.JPG

I also liked the interior design of San Zeno Maggiore in Verona:

640px-Verona_Italy_San_Zeno_DSC08205.JPG

And for the westwork (frontside) Ste - Trinité In Caen (Normandy)

:

450px-Abbaye_aux-dames_caen.jpg

I'm impressed by the floor decorations. Did you fixed the slopes in some ways or are they just put on tiles?

I put some plates on top, and then the tiles:

9774791391_8bdea9b96e.jpg

Amazing... this looks so real and smooth. The colors are great and the floor is top! Amazing job ProfessorChaos!!! :wub::thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Oh wow, this is really great. Romanesque is my favourite style of architequture and you have done a perfect job in getting the basics across very well!

This is a very nice church you've built, I really love the space inside and that it isn't packed.

Thanks a lot for all your comments!

I am glad that you also find that the style is well captured. :classic:

As mentioned above i also think it would not gain from adding minifigs, as it is about the architecture.

Is there a bell hanging from the ceiling inside?

There is no bell ( and also no cross) till now. Maybe i will add transept arms, and a crossing tower, there i would place a bell then and a cross on top.

As it took me 6 months to complete i want to build a couple of smaller MOCs before continuing this one. ( also have to get more dark orange and medium dark flesh bricks)

Wonderful building! I agree with the decision to omit minifigures, it would detract the eyes from all the wonderful architectural details.

ProfessorChaos... I am very impressed with your church... as well as the original cathedral that inspired it.

The great Imperial Cathedral (Kaiserdom) of Speyer was the largest church in the world when it was started in 1030AD. Today it is the largest Romanesque Cathedral in the world.... here is a historic model of it...

4464080688_71b74703a2_b_d.jpg

I've been there on 2 pilgrimages, the last in 1989. The day I went was a dreary summer rainy day, and I was the only person in the cathedral at the time... a remarkable moment. If you ever visit the neary 1000 year old Speyer Cathedral... the enormity of the place is inescapable, even in the crypt (final resting place of 8 Holy Roman Emperors)... the largest crypt in Europe.

https://secure.flickr.com/search/?q=Speyer%20cathedral

Brilliant model choice!! :wink:

Gary Istok

Edited by LEGO Historian

Lovely work of art! The colors and design are perfect. And the smooth surfaces are so easy on the eyes....that means a ton of tile!

Thanks for referring to photos of existing cathedrals.

I like it without the cross because it seems to welcome more of the world, which mostly is not Christian. Folks can enter and imagine whatever thoughts they want, which makes it open to all. And leaving out the figs also opens it up more to the imagination.

Congratulations!

Just amazing! The floor is stunning, and the approach you took with the open space adds to a feeling of reverence. Love it!

Stunning :wub: You've done a great job on the color scheme and the patterns inside! (It's in need of some minifigs though!)