Sign in to follow this  
DarkKnight7

Back to the Future Decals - Real and Custom

As the Back to the Future minifigs turned out so well (but are selling out like mad), I thought I'd try my hand at recreating them to share, as well as make a few custom alterations for other parts of the BTTF movies. (aka: Future Doc and Marty, Wild West Marty and Doc, Biff, etc.).

I'll start with Doc first, and post the others as I go. Hope you like!

Doctor Emmet Brown - Back to the Future I

9726149523_8c02128d7c_z.jpg

Clear Paper Version:

9729379586_ebd770d67b_z.jpg

9729379606_009559014b_z.jpg

9729379660_f7fd90e348_z.jpg

Edited by DarkKnight7

Very nice, I'd like to see them printed and on a fig too. Why did you leave the light flesh coloring on the torso print of the firt one, for the clear sticker?

Why did you leave the light flesh coloring on the torso print of the firt one, for the clear sticker?

Hm? It's for a white torso. He didn't put a flesh patch at the back because for some reason that's how it is on the actual fig.

Hm? It's for a white torso. He didn't put a flesh patch at the back because for some reason that's how it is on the actual fig.

Normally a "for clear sticker" version sticker is for any color but generally used on a yellow head or torso. Which is why I asked about the flesh. :)

Very nice, I'd like to see them printed and on a fig too. Why did you leave the light flesh coloring on the torso print of the firt one, for the clear sticker?

Well, luckily Lego already prints these in their Back to the Future set, which you can get online anywhere..fig is always on eBay if you were looking for one.

Normally a "for clear sticker" version sticker is for any color but generally used on a yellow head or torso. Which is why I asked about the flesh. :)

Usually when I make a "clear" design, it is intended for clear paper decals, which are usually the best for decaling. Clear paper decal designs are not "usually" used on yellow heads, there intended use is for any light color brick and for this particular design, Lego (and I) intended for them to be used with light flesh colored heads. But, I did forget there are a lot of people that use yellow heads as they are more plentiful (and cheap, too), so when I upload some of my later BTTF designs (I'm hoping to finish the BTTF 2 Future designs soon, when I get time), I'll upload some without the flesh color on there, so it doesn't clash with yellow heads and hands. Hope that helps!

Thanks everyone for the great comments, it was fun to recreate one of Lego's designs, haven't done that since my Lord of the Rings designs from the video game a while back.

Edited by DarkKnight7

Well, luckily Lego already prints these in their Back to the Future set, which you can get online anywhere..fig is always on eBay if you were looking for one.

Haha. Yeah I know the figs exist and I have them, I meant your actual decals. I just like to see them on a fig rather than just the image, no big deal.

Usually when I make a "clear" design, it is intended for clear paper decals, which are usually the best for decaling. Clear paper decal designs are not "usually" used on yellow heads, there intended use is for any light color brick and for this particular design, Lego (and I) intended for them to be used with light flesh colored heads. But, I did forget there are a lot of people that use yellow heads as they are more plentiful (and cheap, too), so when I upload some of my later BTTF designs (I'm hoping to finish the BTTF 2 Future designs soon, when I get time), I'll upload some without the flesh color on there, so it doesn't clash with yellow heads and hands. Hope that helps!

Believe it or not, I do understand customizing figs. Maybe "usually" was the wrong term but in my experiance it's been common that a 'fleshy' fig "custom" is created so that it can be used on a yellow head with clear decals. Nobody is right or wrong, I was only asking about that as I was curious if it was intentional or a mistake when you left it in.

Keep up the good work.

Haha. Yeah I know the figs exist and I have them, I meant your actual decals. I just like to see them on a fig rather than just the image, no big deal.

Believe it or not, I do understand customizing figs. Maybe "usually" was the wrong term but in my experiance it's been common that a 'fleshy' fig "custom" is created so that it can be used on a yellow head with clear decals. Nobody is right or wrong, I was only asking about that as I was curious if it was intentional or a mistake when you left it in.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks, Darkdragon!

No worrry at all, I wasn't offended at all! I just was clarifying why I had left the flesh part on there and my original intentions. I'm glad you brought up the yellow head's with decals and because of that, I will be adding a yellow version when I update this page. So, I just want to let you know, I wasn't threatened or anything by your comment, just thought I should state why I left it the way I did. By the way, I'll have ot check out your Brick Flicks & Comics Academy link when I get the chance!