ZCerberus

Mini-challenge Nocturnus: The Tribes

The most fascinating part of Nocturnus is all the non-human species in our great land!

We need to develop the backgrounds of these creatures.

For The Tribes minichallenge I need any one who signs up for Nocturnus as their home guild to identify, photograph and describe the strange species living in Nocturnus.

To participate in ROUND 1 of this mini-challenge you should:

-Join Nocturnus. This will make Nocturnus your home guild for all of Book II.

-Create a new thread with the words "Nocturnus Tribes" in the title

-Submit at least one (maximum of three) photos of a non-human Nocturnus Tribe in their natural environment.

-Describe where in Nocturnus they live (see map below for ideas).

-Describe the history, culture or anything else that makes this tribe unique.

-Aftermarket parts are allowed, but this is a LEGO site, so please, no clone brands.

-There is no size limit to this challenge, but see below, the time frame is tight!

-Submit your entry before October 1st (anywhere in the world)

To participate in ROUND 2 of this mini-challenge you should:

-Join Nocturnus. This will make Nocturnus your home guild for all of Book II.

-Create a new thread with the words "Nocturnus Tribes" in the title

-Submit at least one (maximum of three) photos of a non-human Nocturnus Tribe in their natural environment.

-Describe where in Nocturnus they live (see map below for ideas).

-Describe the history, culture or anything else that makes this tribe unique.

-Aftermarket parts are allowed, but this is a LEGO site, so please, no clone brands.

-There is no size limit to this challenge, but see below, the time frame is tight!

-Submit your entry before October 16th (anywhere in the world). This means the entry must be submitted by the end of day October 15th.

The winner of ROUND 1 of the mini-challenge will win the left over, unclaimed parts pack donated by soccerkid from his architecture challenge and a custom brick built trophy and a the Mirkwood Spider set!

The winner of ROUND 2 of the mini-challenge will win a Mirkwood Spider set!

Map of Nocturnus:

9505958266_3af791fb23_c.jpg

Everything that doesn't say LEGO is an aftermarket part. What is the difference between a clone brand and aftermarket part? Everything that doesn't say LEGO is a clone brand. I don't get that part of the rules. Is there some hidden catch?

I'm looking forward to this challenge. I now have to decide whether to do my zombie village idea, or something else.

@CBB, I think Z means stuff like Megabloks etc. Not the companies that provide extra bits for Lego like Brickarms etc. At least, that's how I'm interpreting it.

Everything that doesn't say LEGO is an aftermarket part. What is the difference between a clone brand and aftermarket part? Everything that doesn't say LEGO is a clone brand. I don't get that part of the rules. Is there some hidden catch?

I mean brickarms, brickforge, etc is okay since companies like that supplement your LEGO accessories while clone brands are trying to competing with LEGO. Seeing how this is a LEGO site we should avoid Megabloks and Kreo type parts etc in official challenges.

I mean brickarms, brickforge, etc is okay since companies like that supplement your LEGO accessories while clone brands are trying to competing with LEGO. Seeing how this is a LEGO site we should avoid Megabloks and Kreo type parts etc in official challenges.

I have to say I agree with CBB on this even though my opinion doesn't matter as I'm not eligable to enter this mini-challenge anyway. I have a hard time understanding the point of distinguishing between clone brand and aftermarket parts. For example would Alt Bricks (I think they are the ones that make the colored leaves and stuff) be ok to use? I think they are in competition with LEGO although not on the same scale as say Megabloks. Also while I totally despise any clone brands for their lack of quality when it comes to bricks, I do have to admit that clone brands often times do a better job than LEGO when they make accessories for their minifig substitutes (note: this is something that I think LEGO has begun to improve on). So to sum up my thoughts, if you are going to be LEGO purest, be a total LEGO purist but if you are going to allow some non-LEGO parts what is the difference whether they come from large scale or minor competitors of LEGO? Wouldn't it be better to just specify the parts that are ok to be non-LEGO such as minifig accessories? Just my two cents on the subject as it seems that the LEGO community at times is a bit hypocritical on this...

Just my two cents on the subject as it seems that the LEGO community at times is a bit hypocritical on this...

Interesting points. I wonder how LEGO would feel about Altbricks, would they dislike the competition or encourage supplying of fans?

It's pretty simple to me, if the company makes sets they are a clone brand. LEGO site, LEGO parts. Minifig accessory sites and things like the alt bricks leaves are okay.

Good rule of thumb- if you think it would violate the rule, don't use it.

Masa has said it perfectly. Purest or no purest. If you chose the non purest route why limit yourself? It just seems silly to say you can use this but you can't use this. I don't see a difference between Megabloks and Brickwarriors. It's the same thing. Both are not real LEGO. What's the difference? Megablocks has the best sword that fits in a minifigure hand? I can't use it because it's better than anything that currently exists? All after market companies steal profit from TLG. It doesn't bother me that they do, but rules are rules I guess. They don't have to make sense.

Masa has said it perfectly. Purest or no purest. If you chose the non purest route why limit yourself? It just seems silly to say you can use this but you can't use this. I don't see a difference between Megabloks and Brickwarriors. It's the same thing. Both are not real LEGO. What's the difference? Megablocks has the best sword that fits in a minifigure hand? I can't use it because it's better than anything that currently exists? All after market companies steal profit from TLG. It doesn't bother me that they do, but rules are rules I guess. They don't have to make sense.

Brick warriors and other third party vendors like it are designed to fill a niche market that lego does not provide. They do not "Steal profits" because lego does not provide parts similar to that which is third party. :sweet: Megablocks on the other hand does, by making sets. :look:

EDIT: Never mind, this isn't the place to discuss things like this.

Edited by Buurli_Burri

Brick warriors and other third party vendors like it are designed to fill a niche market that lego does not provide. They do not "Steal profits" because lego does not provide parts similar to that which is third party. :sweet: Megablocks on the other hand does, by making sets. :look:

This could be debatable. If I buy from 3rd party vendors, that is money that I could have but won't spend on LEGO, while I can find plenty of Megablok accessories at yard sales, etc. for a lot cheaper than 3rd party vendors, etc. And those who buy Megablok sets tend to only buy Megablok sets while those who buy LEGO tend to only buy LEGO sets. How is Megabloks competition to LEGO in my case when I will not buy any of their sets yet I will pick up their accessories if I see decent ones at yard sales, etc?

Let's get off that issue and get to the challenge. Let's identify those tribes!

Yep! The challenge is surely more interessant :wink:.

Well I want lots of entries, so even though only Nocturnus members will be eligible for the parts pack and trophy, would non Nocty members like to create a tribe as well?

I have one that I can enter for the tribes....Kaliphlin has always been tight with Nocturnus, so we have the inside connection on the different races :wink:

well, we could of course always depict how they are getting their butts kicked!

Well I want lots of entries, so even though only Nocturnus members will be eligible for the parts pack and trophy, would non Nocty members like to create a tribe as well?

Sounds good to me!

This could be debatable. If I buy from 3rd party vendors, that is money that I could have but won't spend on LEGO, while I can find plenty of Megablok accessories at yard sales, etc. for a lot cheaper than 3rd party vendors, etc. And those who buy Megablok sets tend to only buy Megablok sets while those who buy LEGO tend to only buy LEGO sets. How is Megabloks competition to LEGO in my case when I will not buy any of their sets yet I will pick up their accessories if I see decent ones at yard sales, etc?

Slightly off topic, but is there really people who only buy megabloks? are these the people that look at us in the Lego isle and sneer? Is this how Nocturnus got so many icky looking creatures? they were once megabloks collectors that became so green with envy they went to live in the swamps??? haha. See I brought it back on topic.

I used to be a purist, but the altbricks and brickarms pieces really do lend something to customization. I think the trick is not to overdo it.

And to the topic at hand, anyone making up a race to put in Nocturnus? I hope we see some new races out of the competition.

Well, I was looking at a new race, but it's quite hard to find cool ideas, and there be enough variation in heads for it to be justifiable. Although, I reckon the Chima Crocs (I know Z wants to do Ravens) and the Galaxy Squad aliens might be a cool starting point. I already have a plan, but it's using an existing, if under-represented race.

I most certainly would.