Sweden

What's Ultimate Collector Series or not?

I think that the very first time I ever saw the Ultimate Collector Series being announced was at Sir Steve's Star Wars Guide some time before the Christmas of 1999 and I got really excited about the coming 1:28 scale model sets of the 7181 T.I.E. Interceptor and 7191 X-Wing Fighter that was released here in 2000.

From the way that the Ultimate Collector Series was announced with these two 1:28 scale model sets I got the impression that this was the begining of an entire line of 1:28 scale model sets of both the smaller one and two man Rebel and Imperial fighters that was seen throughout the entire Original Star Wars Trilogy.

Then in 2001 I saw the release of 10018 Darth Maul Bust and 10019 Rebel Blockade Runner and I got the impression that this was another Star Wars line created by The LEGO Group for the really huge starships and the way they were announced as Sculptures on Shop at Home I simply couldn't see it as anything else.

In 2002 7194 Yoda - Jedi Master was released as an "Ultimate Collector Series" model set and I got really confused but eventually I thought that it was an Ultimate Collector Series model set due to it's nature but then came along the 10026 Naboo Starfighter and 10030 Imperial Star Destroyer and messed it up further.

The 10026 Naboo Fighter wasn't 1:28 scale and I was disappointed with that even if it were more accurate then the System Set but what I wanted was something in scale with the T.I.E. Interceptor and the X-Wing Fighter and not a Special Edition version becuase that was something totally different then first announced.

However, I did accept the fact that the 10030 Imperial Star Destroyer was released as a Ultimate Collector Series model as it was an ultimate model set of the starship but I thought it was really odd that it wasn't released as a Sculpture like both the Dart Maul Bust & Rebel Blockade Runner initially were in the begining.

So I started to realize that The LEGO Group had messed up the whole Ultimate Collector Series idea as it was first announced and when the Ultimate Collector Series 10129 Snowspeeder model set was released in "1:15 scale" in 2003 I truly realized that The LEGO Group had abandoned the whole 1:28 scale concept.

To make things worse The LEGO Group placed the Shop at Home Exclusive of the 10123 Cloud City System Scale Playset under the Ultimate Collector Series cathegory on their website and all of a sudden basically everyone all over the place started to call Shop at Home Exclusive System Sets for Ultimate Collector Series.

So last year The LEGO Group released the 10131 T.I.E. Fighter Collection System Scale Set and basically everyone called it Ultimate Collector Series when it was just a Shop at Home Exclusive and later the 10134 Y-Wing Starfighter was released as an Ultimate Collector Series model set but not in the original 1:28 scale.

The way the Ultimate Collector Series originally was announced made me believe that it was a range of all these one and two man fighters done in 1:28 scale and the way the huge spaceships were announced as Sculptures made me believe it was another line and it's sad that The LEGO Group abandoned this concept.

Being originally a model kit builder and collector the whole issue of scale and accuracy has always been really important to me as I always wanted model kits that were in scale and accurate compared to all of the original filming miniatures from film and television that I've come to want as model kits but that's a hard thing to come by.

Yes I do know that LEGO was originally being made for and aimed at kids and younger teenagers but with The LEGO Group releasing sets for us AFOL ones could sure as hell ask for more as we do pay a whole lot for all of these so called Ultimate Collector Series model sets so why The LEGO Group kind of destroyed a good idea is strange.

For the love of God I simply can't understand why they did the 10129 Snowspeeder in 1:15 scale instead 1:28 because that way it would've been in scale with the T.I.E. Interceptor and X-Wing Fighter and smaller and therefore also much cheaper and then maybe the younger builders and collectors could afford it as well.

The same goes for both the 10026 Naboo Fighter and the 10134 Y-Wing Starfighter that are made in yet two other type of scales and that's just as bad as the old and crappy MPC, Airfix, MPC/ERTL, AMT/ERTL and Racing Champions Star Wars model kits from the 70's and 80's that were made in scales all over the charts.

And for the love of God why do most of you guys call all the Shop at Home Exclusive System Scale Sets for Ultimate Collector Series?

Kindest regards,

Lars "Sweden" Olsson in Sundsvall, Sweden.

Bloody Jay

Well, that's the impression I got too yet people scream "UCS" about the Cloud City Playset. Figure that one out as well?

Sweden - The One... And Only.

Long tread about nothing...

Translate UCS once more, and you will realize that no where

in "Ultimate Colector Series" says anything about 1:28 scale sets.

It

Ras 74

Long thread about nothing huh? Well, it's a far more interesting topic to talk about product development and licensing then the usual "What set(s) should I buy or not?, What set(s) do you own or not?, Aren't I the best?, Aren't you the best?, Aren't he the best?" and all other pointless topics that's talked to death.

*Laughs*

Well, both the Ultimate Collector Series 7181 T.I.E. Interceptor and 7191 X-Wing Fighter is made according to the box art work in 1:28 scale and even if I haven't made any calculations compared to the supposed so called "real life" size this seem about right so you're part wrong in what you say about this particular line.

If you read my so called "Long thread about nothing" a little bit closer you might see the point I'm trying to make about the Ultimate Collector Series concept how it could've been and how it could've been improved and then again it was to start an interesting discussion except for the usual boring done to death topics.

No, the Ultimate Collector Series ARE advertised and ARE made as scale model sets with model kit quality as far is possible with bricks and plates and so on for us AFOL and look at Shop at Home in the US of A where the 10143 Death Star II IS advertised as a "Ultimate Collector Series Model Set" and nothing else.

Yes, it would've been wonderful if the Naboo Fighter, Snowspeeder and Y-Wing Starfighter were made in 1:28 scale just as the T.I.E. Interceptor and X-Wing Fighter and it was a possibility for The LEGO Group to do and it would've been a much smarter marketing decision for the reasons mentioned in my previous post.

Sure, LEGO is a toy but still the Ultimate Collector Series Model Sets are being made for and aimed at the AFOL community of builders and collectors and who in their right bloody mind swooshes around with the 10030 Imperial Star Destroyer like the kids and God forbid you adult guys do with the smaller System Sets?

*Laughs again*

By the way dude... Vi

i think the UCS is a TLC attempt to attract adults who once grew up with the original films. it's not an attempt to attract model kit builders or adults in general. after all, TLC has always clearly indicated that Lego is a toy for young children, nothing more.

however, i do understand what you mean. those first two scale models were fantastic, not only for the traditional lego fan, but they were also attractive to model kit builders, like yourself, obviously. If the TLC had only continued in that direction, the company would now have a chance to sell lego not to children as a toy, but to adults as material for a hobby. I'm quite certain that a scale model, 3000 pieces of a spitfire, F-16, tank, whatever, could attract a lot of people who were once lego fans as a kid, but now feel that Lego is for kids. By building sculptures and minifig models in the UCS, the TLC has lost the credibility with this group of potential customers. it's seems to me that your message is evidence of that. TLC probably never even realised that there was a major opportunity here. Market analysis has never been TLC's strongest point, unfortunately. In fact, they made it worse by stating that lego is just a toy for kids. How stupid can get...

TLC obviously never saw that opening new markets was their ticket out of misery. The market of construction toys for children is saturated. They won't be able to retake the monopolist position they used to have. the only way for them to grow is to find new markets. They had the chance, they blew it...

snefroe1

It's way cool to see that you got my point about this whole topic where others fail even if I've seen most of them whine and complain about both Ultimate Collector Series and System Sets not being in scale or aren't really movie accurate and so on in endless and meaningless discussions.

However, you do contradict yourself just a little bit about the purpose of the Ultimate Collector Series. ;)

I believe that the Ultimate Collector Series "was" an attempt by The LEGO Group to attract not only adults who grew up with the original Star Wars trilogy but "also" adults and model kit builders and collectors like myself becuase the model sets are indeed advertised as model sets.

As I've said so many times before I know that LEGO "was" originally being made for and aimed at kids and younger teenagers but over the past two decades the AFOL community has grown real large and that's a thing that The LEGO Group is very well aware of these modern days.

According to a survey done in England that I saw a few years back 10% of the sales of the LEGO Star Wars line went to adults and/or AFOL and that's an very interesting figure that I know that The LEGO Group are well aware of and interested in as they do make money on us adults.

I do believe that the Ultimate Collector Series was indeed an attempt made by The LEGO Group to attract us AFOL but it's also very clear to me that The LEGO Group doesn't know at all how to handle this group of consumers judging from what they've done with this line of model sets.

I find what you're saying damn interesting you know so I'll comment on it further while at it. ;)

Yes, the first two 1:28 scale model sets of the T.I.E. Interceptor and X-Wing Fighter were indeed fantastic not only for the traditional LEGO fan but also to model kit builders and collectors as they truly showed what fine models that can be done with LEGO bricks and plates and so on.

Yes, if The LEGO Group had continued in that direction they would as you say had a chance not only to sell LEGO as a toy to children but also to adults as a material for a really cool hobby because after seeing what can be done with this building toy it'd been a huge success indeed.

Yes, how cool wouldn't it have been to see a Spitfire, F-16 Tank or whatever done in LEGO as supermodels because as you say how many adults that were fans of LEGO as a kid wouldn't get right back into building and collecting LEGO with really great model sets of that type?

Yes, by releasing Sculpture and Mini Figure Sets in the Ultimate Collector Series The LEGO Group has indeed lost the credibility with this group of potential consumers and you're right that this is my message with this thread and it's sad what The LEGO Group has done with this line.

Yes, The LEGO Group probably never ever even realised that they "had" an great opportunity here but as you say market analysis has unfortunately never ever been the strongest point of The LEGO Group and how stupid can they get stating that it's just a toy for children?

Yes, The LEGO Group never ever even saw that opening for new markets for the reasons you mention and yes they blew it big time with missing out on this opportinuty to expand the adult market for this so called toy but it's their loss and unfortunately ours too as well...

The Star Wars Ultimate Collector Series line and any other super model line for that matter as well had so much potential but with the really odd choices that The LEGO Group made with this line it's beyond all the possibilities it ever had and that's truly sad to know about.

Thank you for making a really interesting post buddy. ;)

Ras 74/Rickard

That's cool. I know him a little, but just a little, as I've bought LEGO stuff from him. A cool guy. ;)

Well, I kind of figured out that you were kidding around with me hence the "Laughs" in my previous post so don't worry that you offended me becuase as jipay and Bloody Jay says I'm very well known and famous for my "Swedish sarcasm" so you can chill out now buddy. ;)

Okay, there won't be any arguing at all but I "do" love a good and heated discussion everyonce in a while and okay you're happy for whatever The LEGO Group brings us before the licens expires but why settle for less when you could actually ask for more and better huh? ;)

I mean, after all we do pay for the bloody stuff they bring us. *Laughs* ;)

Yes, we're not that many Scandinavians on here and as you say it's really cool to see fellow country men on here as there are so few of us that come to websites like this so lets make the best out of it and have the good and heated discussions that I do love to have. ;)

Sweden - The One... (Who loves a good and heated discussion) And Only.

Here is my point : UCS mean sultimate collector serie.

It is just a serie of models that are collectors that are targeting collectors and not normal customer. It's definitly not a scale thing neither a detailed thing

Good to get that straighten out then ;)

I feel that all the ships should have been done in same scale

(X-wing, Y-wing, TIE Int and Snowspeeder).

But I still don

jipay

What's sultimate collector serie? *Laughs* Just kidding with you. I know exactly what you mean there. ;)

But... I don't agree with you at all.

You say that the Ultimate Collector Series is just a serie of models targeted at collectors and not the normal customer and that it's definitely not a scale thing neither a detailed thing...

But...

The Ultimate Collector Series ARE advertised as detailed scale models aimed at the AFOL (or at least people with a thicker wallet) builder and collector and ARE made as detailed scale models so how can they not be detailed scale models when they actually are all that in LEGO form?

All of the Ultimate Collector Series spaceships ARE made in a scale and ARE as detailed as possible using LEGO parts but it's only the T.I.E. Interceptor and X-Wing Fighter that has been officially announced being in 1:28 scale but the rest is also made in certain but different scales.

I'm not saying that ALL of the Ultimate Collector Series models should be one single scale becuase that's not possible or what "I" want but at least the one or two man smaller fighters becuase that's possible to do and would've been a very logic and smart business decision.

I do love large scale model kits of certain spaceships from film and television and I've always wanted to be able to build a Rebel and Imperial fleet but with the old MPC/AMT/ERTL/Racing Champions model kits that wasn't just possible as scales went all over the charts.

Sure, SMT - Scale Model Technologies in Canada made very fine 1:48 scale model kits but they were bloody expensive and they're gone now as they were unlicensed and got a "Cease and Desist" order from Lucas Film and on eBay they're even more expensive now a days.

Sure, Fine Molds in Japan makes very fine 1:72 scale model kits of the X-Wing Fighter, T.I.E. Fighter, T.I.E. Interceptor, Jedi Starfighter and Jango Fett's Slave 1 but that's it and if more model kits from them are on their way is anybody's guess as it's been quite for a while.

I think you get my point...

I've got both the 10019 Rebel Blockade Runner and the 10030 Imperial Star Destroyer and I'm completely satisfied with them both even if they aren't in scale with each other because that's simply not possible to do but the share size of them both is what satisfies me in the end.

If The LEGO Group would have stuck with the 1:28 scale for the one or two man smaller fighters the Rebel Snowspeeder for example would've been smaller and therefore also much cheaper and then maybe people with much smaller wallets could've afford this set as well.

The LEGO Group should've scrapped the whole bloody chrome plated thing and made the Naboo Fighter as a more attractive model in 1:28 scale instead of the System Set scale as a "Special Edition" model because it's not even chrome plated the whole way as seen in the movie.

The Y-Wing Starfighter is as long as it'd be in "Classic Ultimate Collector Series" 1:28 scale but of course the LEGO designers f****d it all up by making the proportions of for example the engines way off so it's actually more a cross between System and Special Edition scale.

As snefroe1 and I talked about The LEGO Group had something really good going in the Ultimate Collector Series concept that could've entered the market of model kit building and collecting and competed with it but no The LEGO Group had to make a dumb a***d decision.

What I'm trying to say is that The LEGO Group gave us AFOL something really cool that sure as hell could've been something quite big and expanded their market in new directions and then again why the hell should we settle for less when we actually pay for the bloody stuff?

Just look at this new Ultimate Collector Series Death Star II and I quote:

"This unique collectable IS SURE to rank as one of the GREATEST LEGO Star Wars MODELS ever produced!"

Yeah right... That will probably happen with all the good reviews it got so far. Greatest huh? Yeah right.

Ras 74

Yes indeed. We're all buddies on here (I hope *Laughs*). ;)

Yes, it would've been way cool if the Naboo Fighter, Snowspeeder and Y-Wing Starfighter were made in the same 1:28 scale as the T.I.E. Interceptor and X-Wing Fighter because that would've been great for a fine display of all of the one and two man smaller fighters.

To me and if I were in charge of the product development (I wish, I wish, I wish) at The LEGO Group the Ultimate Collector Series would mean 1:28 scale for all of the one and two man smaller fighters and then different scales for ships as large as the Millennium Falcon etc.

Busts and Figures like 10018 Darth Maul and 7194 Yoda - Jedi Master would be released as "Sculptures" as that's what they actually are and everything else would be released as either Technic or System scale sets because that would've been a logic and smart business decision.

But hey, there aren't really any Ultimate Collector Series System Scale Sets because the System Sets are just System Sets and this "great myth" came to be when the Cloud City Playset that just were a Shop at Home Exclusive got placed with the Ultimate Collector Series models.

I collect everything in the LEGO Star Wars line that's officially released for the official market and I'm just missing (a couple of key chains, most of the pens and) 10129 Snowspeeder, 7262 T.I.E. Fighter & Y-Wing, 10131 T.I.E. Fighter Collection and 10134 Y-Wing Starfighter.

I like all of the Ultimate Collector Series Model Sets and I'm just missing the two mentioned above but the only thing bugging me with some of them is that the one and two man smaller fighters are made in totally diffent scales but otherwise I'm quite happy with them all.

I would also like to see Jabba's Sail Barge as either a System Set or Ultimate Collector Series Model Set but both in one no as it's either the System or Ultimate Collector Series scale because that's actually two totally different entities separate from each other by far.

I would rather have seen a Death Star Playset done in the same manner as the Cloud City Playset then the God damn awful Death Star II that we're about to get because that Ultimate Collector Series Model Set is nothing else but a major disappointment to me at least.

Yes, it's your and mine opinions and we're bloody entitled to them buddy! ;)

Oh, I really wish I could but the way things are going right now it's most likely impossible for me... :(

Dudes, just one thing: This thread surely has the highest words per post count at our forums!!! Wow.... I'll read it tomorrow... :P

copmike

Hiya buddy! Long time no see. *Laughs* ;)

Well, lost my job last year and I'm only working part time now so all my plans are scrapped at the moment.

I'll get back to you about more of them 3219's though. ;)

Yes, you totally understood my point about the scale and details.

Yes, you totally understood my point about different scales for the large ships as well.

You've just won first prize. *Laughs* ;)

Well, to have "some" standard about a product line is never ever wrong at all but rather good indeed.

Yes, like I said I'd do it if I were in charge of product development at The LEGO Group. *Laughs* ;)

Like I said to Ras 74/Rickard I'm probably not able to come there. :(

ApophisV

On behalf of us all we're glad to please you. :^^

Sweden - The One... (Who simply can't shut up) And Only.

Sweden, man... Where the hell have you been? I know that you had your own differences with Tim Saupe in the past, but who hasn't? Were you posting on Lugnet?

BTW, I always enjoyed reading your long endless posts... Good to see you around again. :^D :)

Darkkazmo

Man, where the hell have I been? I dunno. *Laughs* ;)

Well, when I about five years ago stumbled on all these model kit and toy websites with communities that had discussion forums I thought it'd be cool to try them out not that I've got a real need to talk about all of my hobbies but as none of my friends share the same interests as me I thought I'd give all this a chance.

As you know and as some of you other guys might remember I got into a real fight with Mr. Tim Saup

Oh yeah, I remembered now... What a shame that silly things like that had their own dramatic dilemmas! I hope this hobby keeps growing on you more and more regardless of those incidents that might work as drifting agents. I had my own incidents as well with this "LEGO" community, but I cared less and didn't let it affect my obsession about building.

People in general are different and remarkably have different attitudes, such a stigma almost exists in every hobby and profession, and all we can do is work around it and find our fine tune to make it through all those obstacles that we might not be fond of.

Anyhow, glad to see you back at it again. ;)

Darkkazmo

Yeah, it's really hilarious to see how totally trivial subjects basically can start an bloody Internet war and how some people raise themselves above the rest like they were Gods and how people in a community are willing to bend over and kiss some serious a** just to be able to say "I'm a part of this glorious thing."

This phenomenon can unfortunately also be seen at the model kit communities that I visit from time to time and as you say it's common in every hobby or profession and to me it's a real sad fact because wether it's a job or a hobby we should all get along as good as possible and make the very best possible out of it all.

But that's called U T O P I A.

Anyhow, glad to be appriciated. ;)

If it is a Star Wars set and is $100 or more than it's UCS, pretty easy.

*I do not consider a Naboo Fighter that have less pieces than the first one to be a UCS set.

David85

I truly wish it were "that" easy as you say but then 4504 Millennium Falcon, 4483 AT-AT and 10123 Cloud City could be considered "Ultimate Collector Series" but they're "not" as they're nothing else but System or Mini Figure scale sets simply because they include mini figures and the sets are indeed scaled for them.

There's nothing "Ultimate Collector Series" about them at all. Just that they're real expensive System sets.

I agree, I don't consider 10026 Naboo Fighter either to be a "Ultimate Collector Series" model set but for the simple reasons that there's nothing ultimate about it even if it looks real good but in my opinnion it's just a System scale set the way the Naboo Fighter "should've" been done in System scale in the first place.

Cool that you joined us in this discussion with your thoughts about it all. Thank you.

Actually I think the AT AT could have made a good UCS set aswell as the new falcon. They are not ucs because they don't have the 5 digits numbers. i think you could maybe maybe separate the old ucs line from the new one in your reflection.

The first one was available in stores, the second isn't |:|

Darkkazmo

On request here comes another one of my endless posts. *Laughs* ;)

jipay

I actually think that the Ultimate Collector Series 7191 X-Wing Fighter could have made a great System set as it did include a System R2-D2 mini figure and if The LEGO Group only had included the Luke Skywalker mini figure because then this wonderful System set would have been the new and improved System line.

Just kidding with you... *Laughs* ;)

The two System sets of 4483 AT-AT and 4504 Millennium Falcon aren't Ulitmate Collector Series sets just because they don't have the five digit number but because they include mini figures and because the sets are scaled for the mini figures so these two sets aren't nothing else but System or mini figure scale sets.

As far as I know the only reason some of the sets on Shop at Home are given five digit numbers is simply because they're Shop at Home Exclusives that aren't available in retail stores and therefore they're given these five digit numbers as an sort of identification number for either themselves and/or the customers.

Guess what?

My all time favorite Ultimate Collector Series set is: 7115 Gungan Patrol.

Guess what again?

My all time favorite System set is: 10030 Imperial Star Destroyer.

Just kidding with you again... *Laughs*

What I'm trying to say is that the System scale and Ultimate Collector Series scale is two totally different concepts created by The LEGO Group and in order to be able to expand these two and brand new markets they should be treated like two totally different entities because that's real smart to do business wise.

I mean, look at for example McFarlane Toys that makes the 6 inch figure line Movie Maniacs but that also makes 12 and 18 inch figures and to them Movie Maniacs are just the 6 inch figure concept while the 12 and 18 inch figures are two totally diffent concepts so then why can't The LEGO Group do the same at all?

The LEGO Group had several totally different and great Star Wars LEGO concepts but they messed it all up.

By the way... When did The LEGO Group officially announce this "New" Ultimate Collector Series line? ;)