Sign in to follow this  
Lakop

Which Battery Pack ?

Hi people,

I'm a bit confused as to which battery pack is best in weight terms for technic models. I have two 8881's and they are quite a weight when full of batteries. Would 8878 or 88000 be the one to choose? These two packs look very neat and compact. Also, why have lego not made a smaller battery pack to take a 9V battery.

Advice please

H

In fact, there is a 9V battery pack 4760c01. It has however the old 2x2 tile connector. You can still use it on PF components with an adapter cable 60656. The reason the 9V is not used anymore is simply 'battery capacity'. The larger (volume) the battery, the longer it'll last. The 9V battery is in fact 6x small 1.5V batteries all packaged together. If you use a 9V battery, be mindful that you'll be changing batteries more often than you did with 6xAA.

Edited by DrJB

The 9v battery cannot supply enough amps, it's overall wattage is low even though you may think it the same as 6 AAs. The costs start to add up when you use those older battery boxes because you will need a few pf extension cables.

the rechargeable pf box should be avoided because of the extorted prices should not be supported.

The lipo is way too expensive, I agree with you there.

The AA/AAA sanyo eneloop batteries are very good, very little discharge when idle so they last quite a long time.

I got 3 different setups.

1. Standard PF pack with AA Eneloops,
  2. Standard PF pack modded for use of 3.3v AA LiPo batteries giving 10 volts,
  3. Lego Lipo. Small, and light but very expensive.

if Lego Lipo were 9 or 10 volts it would be the best pack ever. At 7.2 and given the price an AA/AAA pack with eneloops looks like a better option unless weight is very important to you.

And this increases the Eneloops value, Up to 12 cells can be charged at once. can add remove cells at any time. Every cell charged on its own and state for each cell shown on display.

41aYB6NqRML._SX385_.jpg

Anyone had problems with the 88000 not working? Had a new set box not turn on with correct battery install and fresh aaa's. Then bought a second box on amazon to have the led light not come on for both! Seems unlikely unless I am missing something?

thanks in advance on any insight

Edited by Precab

Anyone had problems with the 88000 not working? Had a new set box not turn on with correct battery install and fresh aaa's. Then bought a second box on amazon to have the led light not come on for both! Seems unlikely unless I am missing something?

thanks in advance on any insight

If you have a battery tester check each battery, I think with the 88000 if just one battery is dead it wont work.

I've just started a new project, a remote controlled spider with 8 legs, with battery box on the back. Soon I noticed, that the box ist too heavy and the legs bend. So I've modified the battery box that I can place one 9V battery in it, that makes the box much lighter. Photos are soon following, when I'll present the instructions.

Greetings

Alex