Darthluke824

Bricklinking More UCS Sets?

Anyone in Europe bricklinked 10212 for 400€ or lower? At this iprice I had the chance to buy it new so i'm considering if it is worth.

Sorry for reviving an old topic or actually I see now that I havn't but anyways anyone tried to bricklink the Death Star 10188 ? I'm guessing the minifigs are the main costs here but let's say minifigs are not needed.... ?

I would say get it retail... Unless you enjoy the challange of sourcing it out. As far as the mini figs go I feel like you have to have them for that set as that is the sets major attraction, peering into the operations of the DS.

Hi all,

after Bricklink-sourcing the 10179, the 10030, the 10178 and the 10129 my next project will be the 10175 Tie Advanced.

From checking the parts list on Bricklink, I see that the only real showstopper would be the octagonal canopy, since for the other rare parts there should somewhere be a good replacement solution available.

For the entry hatch (that´s listed at more than 15 Euro a piece) I´ll take this one: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=18675pb01

For these lbley large Boat Bow Plates (about 10 bucks a piece I´ll just take black ones (which cost around one euro), and I´ll bet with a bit more greebling here and there no one would notice.

Now for the cockpit canopy... the original one is 10x10 and octagonal: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2598pb01

I thought of using this 8x8 dish http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3961pb06 together with this one http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=6063 (in lbley) and a few slopes.

Does anyone have maybe a better idea or thoughts? Would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Seb

I'd consider looking at the new UCS tie instructions, or sparkart's moc, but it would mean deviating further and further from the original model.

Personally, I would use 75095 as a base and work on the wings from there, as 10175 looks fairly outdated now.

Alright guys and girls, Bricklink sourcing is finished, I'm proud to present the 10175 V2.0, I have tried to stick as close to the Original as possible, with a few minor deviations here and there. The cockpit has been heavily modified because I didnt want to pay ~80 € for one single piece. All in all the model cost me around 100 €, mostly used parts.

20850996118_0ccfa35712_z.jpg

Flickr link:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskjsEmNx

Hi Barahir1401, that looks really good and I actually prefer your version of the cockpit to the original one! I hope you don't mind but I've deep-linked one of the photos in your post so that everyone can see how good it looks :classic: You've done well to build it for €100.

Cheers, Robin

This Cockpit is so much better than the original and in addition it looks more realistic.

Alright guys and girls, Bricklink sourcing is finished, I'm proud to present the 10175 V2.0, I have tried to stick as close to the Original as possible, with a few minor deviations here and there. The cockpit has been heavily modified because I didnt want to pay ~80 € for one single piece. All in all the model cost me around 100 €, mostly used parts.

20850996118_0ccfa35712_z.jpg

Flickr link:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskjsEmNx

If you use 13548.jpginstead of 3045.gif in the corners, you can :

- have a more round shape

- can probably add an extra plate thickness to make a better join with parts around (plates 3 x 3 cut corner, wings 4x2).

Using 6063.jpg in light bluish gray would also look better.

Everything you need is in 75095. ;)

Hi Barahir1401, that looks really good and I actually prefer your version of the cockpit to the original one! I hope you don't mind but I've deep-linked one of the photos in your post so that everyone can see how good it looks :classic: You've done well to build it for €100.

Cheers, Robin

Thank you, that is a real honor :-)

If you use 13548.jpginstead of 3045.gif in the corners, you can :

- have a more round shape

- can probably add an extra plate thickness to make a better join with parts around (plates 3 x 3 cut corner, wings 4x2).

Using 6063.jpg in light bluish gray would also look better.

Everything you need is in 75095. ;)

Yep, I've tried to get the octagon in lbg, but my used lego shop had one in dbg (for 5 cent), and I was like "what the heck, I'll just take this one :-)"

I will fiddle around with the extra plate thickness and see if it works. The double cut corners are a brilliant idea! (shame on me, I actually didnt know they existed in grey)

Regarding the question about how I did it... actually I left the front side roughly as it is with the front side snots jutting out and just put some wedges there and afterwards the octagon. Since the canopy does not hold fast enough on its own, I used the drop-down HUD in the cockpit to hold the canopy dish in the middle. I'll replace my dbg brick with a clear one do it'll be a bit less dark in there.

Hi guys,

I thought I'd revive this old thread due to fitting title.

I'm looking at bricklinking either 10212 or 10221, but looking at average prices provided by BrickStock and comparing them to prices of sets on eBay (both new and used), I'm wondering is it worth the hassle of getting all the parts together? Tbh, I overshot the cost of 10179 by £180 back in November.

I can see how eBay prices of both 10212 and 10221 have increased since this time last year, but so have prices of bricks (or so it seems).

So, my question to you all is, what UCS set is worth bricklinking in March 2016? I'm looking for a challenge, but I'm not willing to make substitutions on rare parts only to save £100 compared to a BNIB set. Obviously, this doesn't justify the current prices of 10212 which is around £500-600 and 10221 which is around £700-800...

Any thoughts?

I wouldn't bother brick linking 10212 - you are better off waiting for a decent used set on eBay or BL (I know I am).

I just brick linked the 10221 a couple months ago and it came out to about $500 after shipping (15 orders or so). Still almost half the price of used sets so I think that one is worth doing.

I mainly substituted some of the internal parts that wouldn't be seen from the outside. I chose different colors based on price or what the store had in stock. I remember the hardest parts to get were all of the angle plates since you need around 30-60 of each side (left/right). There are no hard to find parts in the set, but some of the quantities needed makes it annoying to source (hence the 15 orders).

I am currently bricklinking 10221, I would recommend it as most of the parts are easily available. I will have about $500 in it by the end. I used lego replacement parts for a good amount of them as i found their prices comparable to used pieces on bricklink.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice.

I saw 10212 BNIB sell at £399 on eBay, and 10221 BNIB for about £480 (if I remember correctly), so I decided to leave those for the time being and til I have a budget to get them.

Instead, I decided to go for 10175 Vader's TIE Advanced :) The reasoning behind is that it's really rare on eBay and BL and will fit perfectly next to the X-Wing and the TIE Fighter (yet to be purchased).

Obviously I had to make some substitutions:

- 6L umbrella stands,

- I've borrowed the idea on the cockpit from Barahir1401, but used 13548 pieces for the corners.

- I've also had to substitute LBG stern plates with black, used ones and even these were difficult to get hold of. IMO, these plates are a major showstopper for anyone attempting to build this set, as they're really rare.

- Another piece I had to substitute was the "back end" of the cockpit, part 2618, LBG. I got hold of light grey and black used pieces and will see which one suits it better

- The last bit was the top hatch. I went with 6 x 6 dish with pattern from AT-TE, part 44375bpb01.

I've placed all the orders and am now just waiting for them to get delivered. The total was about £190, but that's due to large number of orders I had to make.

Will post pictures once per parts arrive.

P.S.

The main issue with ordering parts was that I had to make a lot of small orders, like few quid, and even pick some SW minifigs to let the sellers make some profit, because otherwise some orders would be like £1-£2.

The problem was that even larger shops had only few lots of required parts, which I think shows that 10175 is made up of random parts, as many sellers don't seem to have many lots of seemingly common parts in stock.

In total, 17 orders, 2 from outside UK and a big order from TLG.

For anyone attempting anything like that. I recommend getting rare parts from B&P ASAP, as they go like hot buns. In a course of like two days 6190's and 4085c's went out of stock on B&P and I really struggled to get hold of them on BL.

The way I order parts is: get prices of each piece from B&P, PAB and BL average (BrickStock is your friend) and if the price on TLG is the same or even slightly higher (especially for low quantity lots) than on BL, I get them from TLG and then get the rest from BL. I hope this helps anyone.

clip

Thanks for sharing. I just started this and a couple other Bricklink projects and I had a couple of questions.

Did you replace the 6L umbrella stands with 63965? Did you use substitutions for the 2x Light Bluish Gray Hose, Rigid 3mm D. 14L / 11.2cm and the 8x Light Bluish Gray Hose, Rigid 3mm D. 10L / 8.0cm? Those are hard to find on Bricklink and out of stock on B&P.

Hi jdm44,

Oh yes, I forgot about the hoses....

I replaced both 14L and 10L with 6 of 20L (part no. 75c20) and I'm just going to trim them to the right size (cut four of them in half to make 8x 10L, and trim two down to 11.2cm). I did the same on my 10179 UCS MF on some of the hoses and they looked fine.

In regard to 6.6L umbrella stands, yes I did replace them with 63965. Again, did the same on UCS Falcon and they look fine.

When looking for those hoses, I'd get any length you can find in the right colour, at a decent price that you can trim down to correct length. In my case those were 75c20, though they weren't that easy to get in right amount either, so I had to order from two separate sellers, paying about £1.30 for each. I wouldn't be too picky about the price, as there's only so many pieces that will cost you £1 each or more.

Did you manage to get the stern plates, 47405?

Edited by SpacePirate

anyone tried to bricklink the Death Star 10188 ? I'm guessing the minifigs are the main costs here but let's say minifigs are not needed.... ?

in process now. Actually joined this forum to share the progress soon.

Can't believe that DS 10188 has become so popular post retirement. Had I known, I would have stockpiled more of them beauties :)

On a serious note, judging from average prices of pieces and minifigs, wouldn't it be more economical to grab one off eBay? I understand this is not as satisfying as collecting all the parts bit by bit and see the set grow.

On a serious note, judging from average prices of pieces and minifigs, wouldn't it be more economical to grab one off eBay? I understand this is not as satisfying as collecting all the parts bit by bit and see the set grow.

Perhaps, but not including minifigs, my total cost to build the 10188 is looking to be considerably less than the 10 cent/piece ratio.

Edited by diaclonex