It has been a while since I have been on this forum. To be honest forums are not really my thing, I loose track...

Never the less do I like to share my latest creation. It is an older model completely revised. Because I really felt doing so, but also to create instructions. So I did, please have fun reading this. Share you thoughts on it and when you feel like doing so please build it yourself some day!!!

Cheers, Ingmar Spijkhoven

pict01.jpg

To start with a little history on how this model was designed and developed in the first place and how US Truck T2 evolved into US Truck T2 MkII.

Back in 2008 I started building US Truck T2 after I had finally managed to build a very sufficient and realistic suspension system. From the very beginning of building MOCs I always tried to implement as many realistic features as possible. For example both version I and II of US Truck T2 features full solid axle suspension, Ackerman steering, realistic and working fifth wheel, openable hood, PF drive, PF steering and PF lights.

pict02.jpg

With the chassis still evolving, but good enough to start building the model itself a couple of decisions had to be made:

A) First of all I choose not to build a specific brand or type of truck. What I knew is that it had to be a typical US style truck. Because of my love for work trucks brochures available at Kenworth.com became my main inspiration source.

B) What scale to build in is another obvious quest when building models in general and also for building LEGO® models. Since most work trucks have a little bigger and heavier wheels my favorite scale for building models became scale of 1:17,5 because this suites me best.

C) I had to figure out what color scheme would work best for model US Truck T2. Why exactly I can't recall but the chassis ended up Red and I still love it. With the color of the chassis pointed to Red I could move on to the colors of the body work.

D) Searching the Internet for inspiration on this build I noticed that Red and White is a nice color combination. Trying a couple of colors to combine with this evolving color scheme I ended up with Blue. Since not all parts I needed were available in Blue back then I came up with the use of Dark Blue.

pict03.jpg

Because of so many improvements I thought it would be so nice to rebuild this creation. Rebuilding this MOC made me decide to name this updated version US Truck T2 MkII (it is based on US Truck T2, but revised in so many ways). Thinking about the rebuild, not yet started, made me realize that it would also be amazing to make building instructions available for it as well!

The process of creating instructions basically forced me to completely revise and rebuild it. So in the looks it is not even changed that much but to get the build going with the instructions as guideline I had to change so many things. Because of this process this new version is way much better and therefore very nice to build.

pict04.jpg

The finished build of US Truck T2 back in March 2009 was basically a result of all the effort I had put in this realistic suspension system. For this suspension to work I did a lot of research, trial and error and engineering. One major problem I noticed was the quite large size of Technic® Shock Absorber 6.5L. There was no way I could jam six of these into a chassis that is only four studs wide together everything else that should be in there. Quite rapidly I came up with the idea of using Rubber Belts instead. So I came up with a lever constructions. Normally a spring is pushed in and comes back, but a rubber belt is stretched and comes back.

pict05.jpg

In the build of US Truck T2 MkII I replaced the hard to get Sand Blue colored parts by Dark Blue ones. Back in 2009 part 30357 Plate Round Corner 3 x 3 wasn't available in either Blue or Dark Blue. These colors I did prefer back then with the build of US Truck T2. This forced me to use this part in the less common color Sand Blue. Even though this was a switch that worked out very well I prefer not to use this color. Mainly because parts in this color are hard to get. So now that these parts are available I had the chance to give US Truck T2 MkII the initial color scheme I came up with for the first build.

pict06.jpg

A part that I have been looking out to for so many many years is finally available. The LEGO® Power Functions® Servo enables the opportunity to create a much more realistic steering system for US Truck T2 MkII. Aligned with the trucks chassis the Servo is sitting inside of the cabin right behind the modeled engine.

Since the movement of the Servo needs to be converted 90 degrees a challenge occurred. Luckily we still have this older LEGO® part 4143 Technic Gear 14 Tooth Bevel.

pict07.jpg

Because the Servo requires less space US Truck T2 MkII is equipped with a modeled engine. Because of some parts I needed to build this engine that are only available in Light Bluish Gray this became the engines color.

Searching the web for inspiration I noticed Detroit Diesel has some very nice power sources available. Doing some research made me choose to build the DD15. Modeling this engine was very satisfying. A small object to build but to give a realistic look still a lot of parts are used to build it.

pict08.jpg

What is the use of a modeled engine if it is invisible. Like with the early version this revised model has an openable hood. For inspiration I used the Kenworth C500 PDF brochure. One picture shows a truck with a opened hood and shows really nice how a part of the fenders is attached to the cabin. So this part of the fenders stays in place when the bonnet is opened, I really love this concept.

pict09.jpg

One other major improvement is the battery box accessibility as well as the location of the on/off switch. To make this achievable for as many builders as possible I sticked to the battery box with 6x AA batteries. With the original US Truck T2 to replace the batteries the entire roof had to be removed together with the sleepers back side. For the on/off switch I installed a complex mechanism that needed small doors to operate the switch. As complex as it sounds it really was and I was never happy with this solution. The roof of US Truck T2 MkII now has a hatch to access the battery box and the on/off switch.

pict10.jpg

Besides decorative purposes these bars are supposed to support the roof, which they didn't! Thanks to digitalizing my model with BrickSmith I noticed/discovered a much better solution. Besides that it looks less fragile this new window frame really became supportive.

When TLC released LEGO® Power Functions® IR Speed Remote Control Unit item number 64227 I was really excited about it. First build also used a XL Motor to drive but with the use of Power Functions Remote Control Unit item #58122c01 one has to be very careful. US Truck T2 MkII has less gear reduction and is therefore quite a bid faster then its predecessor.

pict11.jpg

To give you an idea how the instructions look like here is a preview. Creating these instructions both quick progress on your build as well as each step being easy to understand the same time were very important. Early in the building process you will see what is happening, what it is that you are building. You will be very excited from the moment you start this build till you finish the build of US Truck T2 MkII with a total number of parts of about 1800 pieces.

To achieve this a lot of floating items are used, with added arrows to show where these items are suppose to be. Together with a lot of so called call outs (the smaller windows within a step that shows the assembling of a smaller sub part of the build) together with multi part steps the build will be in a flow.

Check mocplans for the instructions and rebrickable for the parts list!

Hey, a real nice truck you've made here. Looks really realistic. BUT I saw your user name... and how can that even be a question?

Thanks for the kind words!!!

Your question, yeah that is a good one... :wink: It is more of a expression rather then a question... :laugh:

Edited by 2LegoOrNot2Lego...

Gorgeous truck indeed! Very cool that you made instructions for it, must've taken a lot of time!

Too bad I hardly have any studded Lego though, maybe I will make a studless version :D

Awesome truck dude! I really like the suspension. :blush:

I am really proud of the suspension. Like I wrote with the pictures this was very important to me! Thanks for the kind words!!!

Gorgeous truck indeed! Very cool that you made instructions for it, must've taken a lot of time!

Too bad I hardly have any studded Lego though, maybe I will make a studless version :D

You might use the instructions to build a studless version, that would be awesome...!!! :sweet:

And a warm thanks for liking this MOC I build...

nice truck! And a very nice engine

Thanks, nice that you notice the engine. It is small, but I tried to put in as many details as possible. With this I gave it a realistic look and that is nice...

Very nice truck. Beefed up model team.

Do you have any pictures of the suspension?

Great to refer to Model Team. This model is really a combination of Model Team and Technic, both studed and studless. I use what ever part I need to get the job done...

About the suspension, that is what the instructions are for... :wink:

Outstanding truck!!! I like detailing & suspension! Great job!

Well, thanks and there will be much and much more models in the future to come...

The video and music are great to.

I hope that you sell a lot of instructions from it.

Your model is worth it to stand in a lot of living rooms. :thumbup:

I love this model and built a replica of the MK-I edition several years ago. Here is a revolving animation and a render I made at the time.

At the time there were no building instructions and I worked with a CAD file reverse engineered by Richard Brown. I am sure there were some mistakes in the file, but it still an incredible model which has been sitting in a place of honor with my other trucks ever since:

dsc_4553small.jpg

I can see that you've put an incredible amount of work into the instructions as well as the upgrade of the model. This means I have no choice but to rebuild mine into a MK-II! The addition of the servo is very welcome since the old model was very difficult to steer. I already have the sand blue parts from the last build, so I will probably use them again. If I recall, you also used a non-existent blue grille behind the cabin that you found in some unique way. I used a black grille on mine.

The video and music are great to.

I hope that you sell a lot of instructions from it.

Your model is worth it to stand in a lot of living rooms. :thumbup:

Thanks again buddy, this is really nice of you! By selling a lot of instructions I am able to build more models. Together with creating instructions of course, I will keep this alive. Next thing is create instructions for a trailer to go with this truck...

@legomuppet9: Thanks!

@Rishab N: To you too!!!

I love this model and built a replica of the MK-I edition several years ago. Here is a revolving animation and a render I made at the time.

At the time there were no building instructions and I worked with a CAD file reverse engineered by Richard Brown. I am sure there were some mistakes in the file, but it still an incredible model which has been sitting in a place of honor with my other trucks ever since:

dsc_4553small.jpg

I can see that you've put an incredible amount of work into the instructions as well as the upgrade of the model. This means I have no choice but to rebuild mine into a MK-II! The addition of the servo is very welcome since the old model was very difficult to steer. I already have the sand blue parts from the last build, so I will probably use them again. If I recall, you also used a non-existent blue grille behind the cabin that you found in some unique way. I used a black grille on mine.

I noticed you did build a replica and the renders as well. To be honest I really am impressed by guys who are able to rebuild a model like this!!!

Nice to see this replica sitting on shelf with official LEGO sets and some other very fine MOCs by amazing builders. I am honored by this... :blush:

About that grill you are absolutely right. At the time I was building this model I was not that much into parts and what colors available. At a certain point I was looking for this grill and in what colors available. There was this German BL store that sells these in Blue and just bought it. Even though it was never in a set and not sold ever again, I am very happy to have this one. You could also use a chrome version, that is very nice too!

And yes you have to rebuild it! This model is improved in so many ways. Even the driveline and suspension are no longer the same. This model really is completely revised!!! :wink:

Yes it was not easy to steer Mk-I because it has no return to centre. This Servo is really great and makes this model complete...

Wow that is simply stunning. :drool: I'm really loving this model team approach. I've seen several mocs now and they all look nice. Official model team sets looks good as well but combining that building style with technic parts makes it so much better. :wub:

Thanks to start with!

Official model team sets looks good as well but combining that building style with technic parts makes it so much better. :wub:

Well that is spot on!!! That is really what I am up to. To be honest I never have been a Model Team guy simply because those sets appeared in my dark ages. Never the less do I understand what you are talking about. For me realistic models build with both System and Technic is really fun together with all the Power Functions to make them really work...

just go to the mocplan but it seems crashed.

Thanks to start with! About mocplans.com it seems perfectly fine, I checked before I respond to your comment...

Did you use the link I provided with the story of this MOC? Please use this link to go there again... Please keep me informed!

And yes you have to rebuild it! This model is improved in so many ways. Even the driveline and suspension are no longer the same. This model really is completely revised!!! :wink:

I did a comparative parts list between MK-I and MK-II to see how many parts I would have to get to do the conversion. I need 668 new parts which is almost a third of the total number of parts in the model! This helps show just how many changes you made.

Fantastic truck! Great job, congratulation!

Very nice work on this beautiful truck :excited:

Thanks for the kind words, it is very much appreciated that you like this model!!! :classic:

Its just beautyfull! Like a non-lego model!

Thanks buddy to start with!!! :blush:

I hear that a lot. Especially when people only see the thumbnails they don't think it is LEGO at all. It seems to be a regular model, but it isn't, it's LEGO all the way without any modifications or what so ever...

I did a comparative parts list between MK-I and MK-II to see how many parts I would have to get to do the conversion. I need 668 new parts which is almost a third of the total number of parts in the model! This helps show just how many changes you made.

Wow, I didn't realize this at all! Thanks for sharing it and I hope people will even more appreciate what I did on this build... It is not just a rebuild, it really is changed in so many ways...

Again thanks for this and the renders!!! :thumbup: