datune

Useful sets for parting out - Shop for me please!

@datune, you can see the inventory of ewok village on brickset here: http://www.brickset....il/?set=10236-1 just click the 'inventory' tab.

EDIT: not sure how accurate it is though. According to that, there's 31 Chewbacca heads in the set...

Thank you Andy D, very useful information to take into consideration indeed. I have just learned that the Grand Emporium is also currently not available anymore, oh well. I'll just take that money back home again, no need to bruteforce the money spending ;-)

I just checked the UK S@H, and both GE and FB are still available. I have them already, so no panic there, but I thought others might be interested to know.

Edited by Paperballpark

@datune, you can see the inventory of ewok village on brickset here: http://www.brickset....il/?set=10236-1 just click the 'inventory' tab.

I just checked the UK S@H, and both GE and FB are still available. I have them already, so no panic there, but I thought others might be interested to know.

Thanks for the link! What I ment to say was: "Not currently available at legoland", not in general.

It was available at Billund last week though, so maybe you're lucky. ;)

I got my GE today btw. One-third into the build by now.

Edited by jfbat

In addition to Cwetqo's suggestions , I'd go with the Family house as well - it has white bricks and tan window frames in 2 sizes, in addition to some dark red slopes. However, multiple copies would be better to have more whites.

Redhead1982, I thank you also. I had not considered the Family house as a parts pack (I will be buying a few sets in October during double points). The Family house looks really good. I was also reminded that I should get another copy of he Pet Shop (I only have 1, and I have been trying to get 2 copies of the modulars, one to build, one for parts).

This thread has turned out to be quite helpful, so during October I plan to get...

1. Opera House

1. Pet Shop

2. Family house

Maybe that's enough for this year. (I don't have 2500€, or about $3300 US to spend)

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

You're welcome. I'm eagerly waiting to get my hands on my second Family House. As a Creator's set, it has less parts than the exclusives, but it has goodies as well.

Redhead1982, I thank you also. I had not considered the Family house as a parts pack (I will be buying a few sets in October during double points). The Family house looks really good. I was also reminded that I should get another copy of he Pet Shop (I only have 1, and I have been trying to get 2 copies of the modulars, one to build, one for parts).

Enjoy your shopping (and building). :wink:

Note: Obviously my lastname is not "Brickfan", but for the sake of telling this story, my last name is "Mr. Brickfan"

640x480.jpg

The day before driving to legoland I had called ahead to see which sets were available, the store manager (or teamleader to be more precise) had taken note of all the things I wanted, mentioned a couple of times that I was most certainly not allowed to take more then 3 sets of any type, and even that was not a given, for the sets they had low stock it could be that I would only be allowed to take one box! Mkay...

I got there at around 11:30, and since the city store would not open until 13:00, I went straight to the legoland factory, you know, where you can buy bricks per 100gr for € 9. Much to my suprise, I found a few of the sets I was going to buy from the city shop at the factory, so I figured, while I am here, I might as well grab those as well. What I am telling you now is not a joke or made up, I kid you not! I took the 10214 (Tower Bridge) and went to the counter, and asked if they could set it behind the counter because I wanted to grab another set (haunted house), and all of a sudden an employee said to me "But you know Mr. Brickfan (how the hell did he know who I was?!?), you can't buy more sets later on in the city shop, you are only allowed to buy the quantities agreed upon yesterday!".

For a couple of seconds I was completely baffled, I mean, how did he know who I was, how could he be sure, and why do they keep reminding me that I can't buy more sets!". I have to admit, I did not enjoy being spoken to in this manner, and I expressed my feelings and said that I felt like I was being treated like someone who is trying to con legoland germany for their lego sets! Anyway, I continued to grab the sets I wanted to buy, along with ~4kg of loose lego parts and a bunch of baseplates, paid the whole bunch and asked if I could leave the wares behind their counter, which was no problem.

So, I left the factory and went straight to the city shop, which had opened early. I asked for the person who would handle the rest of my business, was greeted by a friendly lady who instantly knew who I was (I have no freaking idea how they knew who I was!), and get this, she pulled a note out of her pocket and said:" So Mr. Brickfan, I see you have already paid for the following sets over at the factory...". She already knew exactly which sets I had bought!!! I was really freaking out now! I had just left the factory! Next she told me, that all the sets I wanted had already been set aside for me in their warehouse on a europalette, why did I buy the sets at the factory...Well, I told her that I had repeatedly been informed that it is not possible to have sets set aside, so it is not my fault that they made an exception without informing me about it. Anyway, long story short, I went on a trip with Andrea (teamleader, really cool girl!) to the factory, were we canceled my complete purchase I had made before, excluding of course the loose parts, then we went back to the city shop, where all my sets in pristine condition (unlike the ones from the factory) had been set aside.

(Andrea to the right)

640x480.jpg

Meanwhile I grabbed a bite, went back there where everything had been put in lego bags, and now comes the best part! Andrea said:" In order to make up for the stalking and making me feel like I was some sort of con, she would lend me 2 employees who would help me carry everything I bought and go with me to the parking lot, which I can tell you, is not around the corner, we walked for almost 10 minutes!". That was a really nice gesture, so a buddy of mine, two employees and me "schlepped" everything from the city store to my car. Great feeling, I can tell you ;-)

640x480.jpg

By the way, they told me that the reason why they were so suspicious in the beginning is because apparently they have problems with lots of dealers who try to take advantage of promotions and buy everything available, which is obviously a lousy thing to do, so it's thanks to those measures that I was even able to buy sets to begin with. All in all, I have to say, great experience, great people, will be going again ;-)

1200 kilometers later and not enough sleep, I got back home. Only to realize that there was a huge flaw in my plan. Storage space! Nuff said? My car was full with lego boxes, but I had not thought about were I was going to put all those boxes. Unloading the car was delayed, brainstorming began, and a couple of hours later, it seemed the only solution was to buy another closet (there went my safings from the 20% discount...pfffft!) Ikea it is! Luckily, it's open until 21:00, so I unloaded the car, filled the kitchen and every other available space with bags of lego and I was on my way. Good thing I have the best wife in the world...Not really how I had thought I would spent the rest of the day after I got home from a 1200 km drive, oh well... everything is stacked away by now, phew!

Here's a list of what I got in the end:

2x Tower Bridge

2x Haunted House

2x Pet Shop

1x Grand Emporium

1x Town Hall

1x Cinema Palace

1x Arkham Asylum

2x Helms Deep

2x Mines of Moria

1x Orc Forge

2x Family House

Anyway, thanks everybody who contributed to this thread, it has been really helpful, now I need to think about how on earth I am going to sort a few of the sets if I part them out :-P

Edited by datune

Great little story 'Mr Brickfan" and that shopping list is just amazing and i'm so very very jealous. I guess you came in close to your budget?

I dare say you'll be back at Ikea soon enough looking/buying some sort of storage solution for all those bricks.

Personally, I wouldn't have ranked the Orc Forge as a good parts pack.

And I am glad I bought the Opera House, its got a lot of nice parts in it (e.g. all that nice trans-black that will be perfect for various projects I am working on, still wish I could get another 100 or so 1x2 plates in that color though)

Great little story 'Mr Brickfan" and that shopping list is just amazing and i'm so very very jealous. I guess you came in close to your budget?

I dare say you'll be back at Ikea soon enough looking/buying some sort of storage solution for all those bricks.

Aaaw, don't be jealous, you can do the same thing, just safe your money for a year or so, like I did, then go on a big spending tour ;-) I did come pretty close to my budget, almost over it since I bought a few sets at a supermarket that had them really cheap (like the orc forge)

Personally, I wouldn't have ranked the Orc Forge as a good parts pack.

And I am glad I bought the Opera House, its got a lot of nice parts in it (e.g. all that nice trans-black that will be perfect for various projects I am working on, still wish I could get another 100 or so 1x2 plates in that color though)

I only bought the orc forge cause I managed to grab for very cheap at a supermarket, not really for parts. The Sydney Opera House should be around for quite a while, whereas the Tower Bridge will be gone, which is why I opted to buy that one twice as opposed to the Opera House. Not saying it isn't a good parts pack, just not for me right now...

Did you build your opera house or went straight to parting out?

Great story. I hope you understand that TLG tries to stop resellers so that people like you and me can enjoy their hobby. :classic: I hope you enjoyed your trip to Germany a bit.

I did build my Opera House and its an amazing set and worth it (at the price I paid anyway) as a set alone, let alone as a parts pack.

I just hope the Opera House (both the big one and the smaller Architecture one) sell well enough that we see more LEGO sets that have Australian themes or replicated things that are Australian.

@datune... That's quite a story! Must have been quite an interesting day having the LEGOland employees "stakling" you. You made quite a haul, I guess that's something we never think about when making large purchases... Where are we going to store them? and how much time and organization is it going to take to part out 30k to 40k or so parts?

Based on the photo in your thread on storage and scale, you are going to have to increase you sorted/storage area quite a bit.

Anyway, congratulations! Happy building! Happy MOCing! And Happy sorting!

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

@datune... That's quite a story! Must have been quite an interesting day having the LEGOland employees "stakling" you. You made quite a haul, I guess that's something we never think about when making large purchases... Where are we going to store them? and how much time and organization is it going to take to part out 30k to 40k or so parts?

Based on the photo in your thread on storage and scale, you are going to have to increase you sorted/storage area quite a bit.

Anyway, congratulations! Happy building! Happy MOCing! And Happy sorting!

Andy D

Hey Andy,

Yes, it was quite the day, believe you me ;-) You are of course correct about my sorting / storage area, however, there is no way I will be able to properly part out all sets at once. TBH, I am considering simply keeping everything in it's original box, and taking out what I need for starters...but that will take time...I still have not found a proper solution for scalability; ie. the ability to have my sorting / storage system grow along with the amount of bricks. Complicated issue, best left for another thread / day ;-)

Thanks Andy D, much appreciated!

And I thought that sorting the Grand Emporium and the Tower Brigde took a long time.. There was a thread about sorting pieces somewhere on Eurobricks. I'll be posting a comment in your other topic (found it when searching for the original one). It's good to hear how Lego helps and supports their costumers. Enjoy your purchases!