datune

Useful sets for parting out - Shop for me please!

On Wednesday I plan to go to legoland and do some (rather serious) shopping. Since there is not much time left, and I have only ever looked at the modular sets for parts, I wonder if there are any other non modular sets you would recommend that have useful parts for MOCs, specifically modulars.

If I were to put € 2500 in your hands, which sets would you buy, knowing that you own one of each of the modulars, except for the first three, and...

"No no, my preciousssss, we will never pay so much money for them old modulars! Thief, thief, thiefs! We hates it, we hates it forever! Gollum! Gollum!"

Uhm, wtf? Ok, moving on...

Keep in mind most sets are ment to be parted out, and hopefully contain lots of useful elements, ie. windows in 1x2x2 and 1x2x3 in many colors, doors, bricks, plates and tiles, in colors perhaps not present in the current modular line, and so forth.

"We told it what we wants, we wants it, we needs it, yesssss...my love.... Bless us and splash us, my precious!"

Thanks a lot you guys, don't think I am too lazy to do my homework, but lego has a big portfolio, too big for me to peruse through ;-)

PS: You may even suggest older sets, but only if the markup of the set is not much more than 25% of the retail price, that is about the maximum I can stomach to pay for older sets

If I understand correctly, you are no planning to sell the parts, not even minifigures. Because, if you do, strategy might be different.

My choice:

10228 Haunted house - lots of sand green, roof parts and other usefull stuff

10937 Arkham asylum - many decorative details

10223 Kingdom youst - mostly grey, but roof parts are great and windows are useful

10214 Towe Bridge - lots of small parts, but price per piece is still atractive

10229 Winter willage cottage - windows, decorative elements, lots of tiles

+one of each current modular and if there is still money, additional haunted house.

Be aware that the store at Legoland Billund is big, but also has the rather high (for European standards) Denmark prices for lego. I was there last week and went away empty-handed, knowing that I could buy all sets for (sometimes considerably) less in my homecountry. The big advantage is that they caryy almost all of the current sets (the BTTF and special edition Technic crawler sets being the exemptions).

Edited by jfbat

If you are spending that much I would get the Merlin annual pass and get the 10% discount on shop purchases - in fact I already did earlier in the year and we even got a booklet that had a one time use 20% off coupon. Not sure if they are still given out with the passes but the pass will pay for itself especially if visiting the park more than one day.

I agree with dfenz (I think tha we even got merlin at the same time, during Eurobricks event), but unfortunately I think that autmn coupon is not valid yet. I will check that and let you know.

Correction: It is valid. Preiod is from sept. 2nd to november 3rd. Just check if you still get it with Merlin pass. And even withou coupon, you still get 10% off in all Legoland shops. Only problem is that they might not have all sets on stock (they were out of some exclusive sets when I was there last time, but that could also be due to 20+ eurobrickers doing heavy shopping) :)

€ 2500 in LL Germany ... wooooooow !!

I would buy loose bricks by the number !! Not forgetting the discount tent in the corner !!

Just like Jfbat, I found Billund too expensive ! and the last time I was in LL germany I could buy for 90€ the kilo, taking the best of the best, you can take a lot of LEGO home with you.

Sadly , I'm not in a position to take € 2500 towards Germany, but if I could, I just would buy loose lego, no sets, those are cheaper right here in Breda.

grtz Saint

In addition to Cwetqo's suggestions , I'd go with the Family house as well - it has white bricks and tan window frames in 2 sizes, in addition to some dark red slopes. However, multiple copies would be better to have more whites. In Factory store it might be worth to get some special parts (brick bricks, etc). Regarding price per brick, the modular line and Tower bridge are probably the best option. Enjoy your shopping! :classic:

In addition to the sets suggested by Cwetqo and Redhead1982 I sugget the...

9474 Battle of Helms Deep. Lots of light and dark grey.

I know some will think it strange, but...

10234 Sydney Opera House... Lost of different dark tan and several baseplates.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Not to mention your strategy with selling minifigs. :) I sent him something about that.

I also depends a lot on which bricks you need. Creator house has white, Haunted house has wonderful sand green, Arkham Asylum has grey, Tower bridge has tan and so on.

I would like to also add the 10221 Super Star Destroyer, its a fairly good source of grey parts. (although its not as good value as some of the other mentioned sets due to the Star Wars license)

Other large Star Wars ships (depending on price) can also be good parts packs.

And all the large creator houses make good parts packs (e.g. the seaside house from 2012 is a good source of medium blue)

Edited by jonwil

10214 Tower Bridge is definitely a must if you're looking for tan parts, and considering its ppp it might also be worth getting two of them as it probably won't be around for very long. 10234 Sydney Opera House is also great as a source of dark tan parts, even if a bit pricey in terms of ppp. However, you can't fail anything with buying the modulars.

Thanks a lot you guys, don't think I am too lazy to do my homework, but lego has a big portfolio, too big for me to peruse through ;-)

No problem with that. :classic: Anyway, I recommend that you check beforehand the inventories of all the sets you intend to buy, it will give you a better overview of what you will get.

^ Because he wants town parts specifically.

Considering you missed the first three modulars (Cafe Corner, Market Street, Green Grocer), the Haunted House should definitely go on your list. Sand green is unfortunately absent in your lineup and this set has some great part variety, all of which are great for buildings. Grab two at least.

I'd go with what most people have said here. TBH it all depends on what he's planning on MOCing - Star Wars grey isn't very useful if he's making medieval scenes!

Am I the only person wanting him to post photos of what he buys?

Thanks everybody, please keep it coming, it is always good to to get input from others!

Btw. I already have an annual pass, and of course I am aware of the 20% discount, it is the sole reason I am driving there to begin with. I also intend to go into the factory shop and buy useful parts, but I don't think they will have that many useful parts. When I am back home, I will update this post and share my loot...

Regarding the Haunted House, I have 2 of those, one build and one in my closet, it is by far, and I mean literally, by far, my absolute favorite lego set ever, and I am not into monsters, at all! I intend to open another one and build a modular out of the parts...

I also already own 10229, and as far as I know, it is currently not available, I think starting September 16th it can be bought again...

So far I have put the following on the buy list:

1x Arkham Asylum (thanks Cwetqo!)

2x Haunted House

2x Fire Brigade

3x Pet Shop (Seriously would like to buy more of these, but legoland does not allow you to buy more than 3 sets per day...)

1x Tower Bridge

1x Grand Emporium (green windows are nice!)

1x Palace Cinema (this seems to be a great parts pack, it is going to be around for a long time, but for 20% off I might as well snatch one...)

1x Town Hall

2x Helms Deep (thanks alot Andy D, that is an excellent suggestion, I would have totally overlooked that set, it has incredible parts!)

Still looking for suggestions from other sets, thanks everybody, it is very much appreciated. It's not like I can do this kind of shopping every day, it is special for me too ;-)

No interest in the Sydney Opera House? (which from where I sit looks like an awesome parts pack)

Tbh, I have studied the inventory list of the Opera House quite a bit, but I am not sure whether it makes for a good parts pack, I don't see much in useful amounts, and the 1 x X bricks in dark tan can be found in palace cinema, which I can buy two of for the price of one opera house.

Would you care to elaborate a bit on why you label it as an "awesome" parts pack, I'd appreciate that a lot! I may have missed the obvious, I have been browsing so many inventory lists, perhaps I failed to see the forest whilst looking at the trees, if you know what I mean ;-)

I'd go with what most people have said here. TBH it all depends on what he's planning on MOCing - Star Wars grey isn't very useful if he's making medieval scenes!

Am I the only person wanting him to post photos of what he buys?

Hi!

Mostly town houses, as in the current modular lines, no medieval scenes.

When I come back home, I will snap a few pictures and share them in this thread, so you can see my "loot" ;-)

I would recommend getting more than one Tower Bridge, it has an incredible parts-to-price ratio, even when you discount all the tan cheese slopes. But you'll have to bricklink some extra doors.

I'm anxious to see your complete loot, and after that all the beautiful MOCs you're going to build :classic:

hmmm, didn't think of the Opera House having so many of the not-so-good parts like the white curved slope things.

Well, this is the current state of affairs, with the only thing still optional being the Sydney Opera House. I'm not sure if it really makes for a good parts pack... (the fire brigade is not available anymore...so I ordered two more online at 120 each ;-)

As you can see, I was briefly considering the ewok village, because of the dark brown parts and the fauna, but I am not really sure. Too bad there is no inventory list to peruse...

Capture2.PNG

Edited by datune

I plan to get the Opera House as a parts pack not for the uniqueness of parts as they are mostly comon, but for the quantity.

There are several baseplates

A quantity of black slopes of various types

A quantity of tiles in various sizes and colors

The quantity of various types of dark tan from bricks to plates.

There are not a lot of unique parts, but for me it is the volume vs. price if you subtract the Bricklink price for the baseplates (about $32) the price per part is pretty good, about $0.075 US$ per part.

Just MHO, YMMV

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Thank you Andy D, very useful information to take into consideration indeed. I have just learned that the Grand Emporium is also currently not available anymore, oh well. I'll just take that money back home again, no need to bruteforce the money spending ;-)

In addition to Cwetqo's suggestions , I'd go with the Family house as well - it has white bricks and tan window frames in 2 sizes, in addition to some dark red slopes. However, multiple copies would be better to have more whites. In Factory store it might be worth to get some special parts (brick bricks, etc). Regarding price per brick, the modular line and Tower bridge are probably the best option. Enjoy your shopping! :classic:

Hi Redhead!

Sorry I forgot to reply to your post! This is actually a super recommendation, I have two of those, but I have never gotten around to actually look at the inventory. Looks like it has plenty of useful things, so thank you very much for bringing this set to my attention. I might just snatch some more of these!