Review: 21018 United Nations Headquarters  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

Fresh out of the murky depths of LEGO's Architecture set design studio, this new entry turns our attention for a fourth time to the Big Apple, The City That Never Sleeps, the real-world Gotham, that Famous Place in the Unite States… *ahem* ok, it's in New York and it's the…

9591986781_85100e481c_z.jpg

Set Name: United Nations Headquarters

Set #: 21018

Theme: Architecture

Pieces: 596 + Brick Seperator

Year of Release: 2013

Price at Release: USD 50

INTRODUCTION

Part of reviewing, naturally, is bias. This isn't journalism; it's a hobby, so everything I write in a review is a particular opinion I've formed for some reason.

Why start with this disclaimer of sorts? Well, LEGO has been nice enough to provide sets to EB (and other sites) for exclusive reviews, and this is the second I've gotten to do. Just like last time, with Arkham Asylum, I'm a little bit out of my element. I'd never bought any of the big exclusives, and I've never bought any Architecture sets. I'll do my best to look at the set with an open mind, but regardless, this will be a review that's very different than one from somebody who's hooked on the Architecture line.

But you can just look at the pics anyway if you want.

BOX

Boy these Architecture boxes are stylish. It screams 'adult!' 'collectible!' 'display piece!' To the AFOL, this one screams 'blue yums!' I'm not sure how iconic the UN HQ is worldwide, but at least to me I could look at this picture without any words and immediately know what it is.

9650578298_5a3a31ae16_z.jpg

The back looks like it's packed with info, but it's actually only a Rosetta Stone that says three things in a host of different languages (this being the European version). They've chosen a slightly odd picture, since it doesn't show the real-life version of the view of the model on the front, but rather shows the buildings that overlook the river. Given that the flags are probably the most iconic element of the UN, I find that curious.

9650586890_90fbd3a26b_z.jpg

One side shows another shot of the model that gives you a better view of all you're going to build (you can't really tell the back buildings are there from the front of the box). It also tells you that this set was designed by Rok Kobe, who you can read about on the LEGO website here. Kobe also designed the Imperial Hotel and Big Ben.

9647318371_1789c95bd3_z.jpg

The other side takes you onto the wings and into the brain of a whooping crane flying high over the city. Aka birds' eye view. So many tiles :moar: This emoticon will return before the review ends, I promise. It's rather suited to this set.

9647324231_d664bee5ed_z.jpg

The top shows you the fun outlines-to-render graphic that tend to adorn the Architecture sets. Doesn't really serve any purpose, but looks shmancy, so who cares? They've chosen a 1x2 trans-light-blue tile for the 1x1 pic, perhaps it's easy to spot on the front of the box, but also because it's definitely a treat in this set for the parts fiends out there.

9650547056_5b58c37fbe_z.jpg

UNBOXING

Part of the treat of any LEGO set is opening it up and spilling out the contents. You start to see what's before you, what pieces you'll soon put together, and how those pieces are going to go together. I'm not sure I've felt it ever as keenly as with opening this set, though. The Architecture line is all about taking pieces and creatively evoking something real with them, so it's especially interesting to see what you get. Plus even LEGO encourages you to 'Enjoy your building experience.'

9650570150_a25a991e11_z.jpg

Inside you find a leaflet, the instructions/information booklet, five bags of parts, and three loose plates. It doesn't feel like a lot, honestly, but the box isn't very big and the model won't be either, so it makes sense.

9592026415_0269c9412c_z.jpg

Your eyes might've been drawn to a particular thing in the last pic. There is truly a bag filled only with 1x2 trans-light-blue plates, which, after a quick BL search, I believe are exclusive to this set. And there are 155 of them here! :moar: (Not literally here; for some reason there are also some in another of the bags.)

9592112729_10299a4b81_z.jpg

PAPERS

These are the two paper items inside: a leaflet asking you to fill out a survey with your opinions on this set, and the slick booklet. The leaflet might also double as a sneaky way to make you interested in buying the Farnsworth House if you don't have it. I personally can't imagine placing all of those 1x1 tiles in that set, though the finished result looks nice. For some reason, the booklet tells you that it's also available online in English. Though you're holding it in front of you. In English. Maybe I'm just missing the very obvious reason why people want it online too…

9594680964_02b812a56d_z.jpg

The booklet contains some lovely, tasteful pages of information about the UN and its architectural history. That's part of the treat of these booklets, so I won't spoil it for you by photographing all of the pages. It'll be available online anyhow.

As far as the instructions portion goes, it's easy to follow, and with 89 pages doesn't go any faster than your typical set these days (read: very slow). The generally slow steps make sense; even though this set might be for adults, it's not necessarily for LEGO-regulars, so an easy-to-follow process is key. To my eye, in person white looks like light grey and light grey looks like dark grey, but the dark grey looks darker still so I guess it evens out.

9594716678_4fba9657db_z.jpg

The back of the instructions have a nice spread showing all of the Architecture sets, split into the 'Architect' and 'Landmark' lines. Which begs the question: what is this one? I would say it's a Landmark, but I also would've said the Sydney Opera House is a Landmark and it's shown under Architect line. Hmm… We'll know once the UN pops up on the LEGO website I suppose. … Update: now that it's on the website, the UN is indeed in the Landmark Series.

BUILD

Though I already wrote that it's especially fun with Architecture sets to see how the bits come together to approximate something in the real world, I have to say that it's more fun to see it on the finished model than it is during the build process. This build involves way too many fiddly bits for my taste. I appreciate all of the clever techniques at work, but putting so many small pieces together really gets rather tedious for me. Good thing I have no interest in the Minecraft sets :laugh: I'd probably give up…

In any case, showing some build-process pictures is a good way to talk about the parts that end up more hidden later.

First, gotta build the base and lay some foundations/tile it up. Lots of grey here, peppered with dark green for some grass. The dark green 1x3 tiles are still fairly rare.

9592089883_2b02bdc1a0_z.jpg

The back buildings get underway first. The back one especially is SNOTty on all sides, and contains just a few regular bricks.

9592076847_e5b0bc567c_z.jpg

The General Assembly building (pic left) and Dag Hammarskjold Library (pick right) come next, leaving the striking (though most tediously built) Secretariat tower building for last.

9594860154_ca67236f36_z.jpg

And we're done! Though from this angle it just looks like a lot of tiles.

9592119327_21dbcc61ea_z.jpg

COMPLETED MODEL

Like most Architecture sets, there's no one 'correct' way to view this model. With this one especially, no side has been left unloved. Still, I suppose LEGO intends it to be displayed from the entrance side - the one with the levers… err… flags.

At an overall glance, she sure is a beauty. The tall Secretariat building looks simple but stunning, while everything else around makes it feel like a complete complex of buildings. Light blue and white are two wonderful colors, if I do say so myself, and they go together quite nicely.

9592202415_2bcdd477df_z.jpg

I could actually just as easily see displaying this model from the back, the side that faces the East River in real life. The Secretariat still looks lovely from this angle, and you get a nice view of the conference building, which is one of the better low-lying ones in my opinion.

9592212051_aa30cf3677_z.jpg

Part of the reason why I prefer the back view is because the front ground-work is just unsightly. I applaud the designer for attempting to reproduce the circle ring by the entrance, but the scale is too small and LEGO by definition is too angular to make it work. The rectangular shapes of the tiles, and the drab greys, make the ground look ugly, even though you know what it's supposed to be. I'm not sure what could have been done in their stead, but I'm almost inclined to think that having no ground detailing, or tiling over the whole thing in black, might have been preferable.

9595012062_2022e3dac8_z.jpg

Photography does wonders - from certain views it's all pretty and the unsightly tiles disappear. Still, you're more likely to look at the thing a bit from above, and not from a low side view like this:

9591781897_a98e4a7754_z.jpg

The other side looks quite alright from a low angle as well, though with less of that pretty blue.

9591975759_24374df820_z.jpg

ACCURACY

As I've already touched upon, this model certainly evokes the real UN Headquarters without a moment's pause. That being so, who really cares how close the buildings are to their real-world counterparts if they match the picture in your head? (You might want to get that examined, if you're seeing things. Never a good sign.)

The truth is, I don't really care, but what the heck, let's see how these buildings stack up.

The Secretariat building really is remarkably accurate. The real thing has blue windows, and the grey stripes on the model match the grey stripes on the real building as well! The only problem is that the top, thicker white bit should probably have been grey, given that that part of the real building is the same color as the stripes across the building that LEGO has done in grey. But that might've been ugly in LEGO, so what the hey.

9594616438_1607a54e41_z.jpg

640px-UN_HQ_157652121_5b5979da9e2.jpg

Over to one side we have the Dag Hammarskjold Library, which Rok Kobe (the designer) has also pretty much nailed. Obviously it doesn't have the curves of the top roof, but that'd be pretty much impossible to do. Second to the Secretariat, this is my next favorite building in the brick since it's got a lot of blue and looks cute.

9591909079_66d36b0694_z.jpg

640px-Dag_Hammarskj%C3%B6ld_Library_0856.JPG

Onto the General Assembly building. I know the pictures I've picked here don't exactly match, but it does the trick anyway. Kobe got down basic details - the blips and the dome on the roof, for example, though I don't know why the dome isn't grey as well (since it's definitely grey in all of the real-world photos I've been looking at). He's also attempted to capture the curves of sides, but they still turn out looking awkward. This building is certainly the lowest point in the set - it looks strange with those steps in the sides, though I know there's little else that could've been done.

9594755850_d29655be73_z.jpg

un369001.jpg

CONCLUSION

9592164115_cc29bf0e5e_z.jpg

One more pretty picture because why not.

Overall - I don't know what to think. This model is pretty for sure, especially from the back. Most of the buildings are pretty nice, and the white and light blue go together swimmingly. The ground in front is kind of ugly, though, as I touched upon earlier, but it doesn't 'ruin' the model.

For fans of the architecture line, this will be a nice addition. It's certainly quite recognizable, even if people only recognize the big building and flags (I've even been to the UN, but I couldn't have told you what those other buildings were or even that they necessarily existed).

For FOLs who aren't necessarily into the Architecture line, this could be a good learning experience, since some cool techniques are employed to shape the buildings even if they didn't all come out successfully. This is certainly a great parts pack, what with all that trans light blue (and did I mention trans light blue?).

Bottom line: if you don't care for parts or for Architecture sets, you probably could've already told yourself to skip this set. Otherwise, it might be one to look into picking up.

Nice review of the set Cloney :thumbup:! I´ve been to New York so many times, going the for the marathon this year also and will for surely pick up a copy or two!

It looks good but not sure it has the wow factor that other architecture sets have.

I really want to dip my toe into the architecture series but so far the sets have been way too expensive for me or an iconic tower but looking like a bit of a dull build.

I'm not so sure the levers approximate "flags" to me.

The reason I'd display it from the back is that all I think is "levers" when I see that part. Not flags :(

So many other buildings in NYC that would have been better. Starting with the Chrysler Building. I own all of the architecture series. Impressed by the review but not by the product.

A rather nice Lego rendering of what is in real life a truly garish and hideous example of architecture gone mad. (Do the roof and windows leak on the Lego version too?) I understand why Lego chose it. It's a well known and easily recognizable building. But still it sits in the annals of architectural don'ts just above that British building that lights people on fire and melts cars.

Considering UN Secretary-General Ban-Ki Moon just completed a larger Lego model of the UN building on the 20th, this set is a bit lackluster, though it appears the model that Ban-Ki Moon had the honor completing is just an upscaled version of this, but come on, it HAS THE U.N. FLAG!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-3p70bkcC-l0/UkJPJSkhK1I/AAAAAAAAVJM/v_dNyNQ4lKs/s1600/Lego+Architecture+United+Nations+Headquarters+giant+sized.jpg

I concur with a lot of thoughts here, first, the levers/supposed flags...horrible, why not use the straight up pole pieces?...I find the UN building a hugely poor choice for the architecture line although I really like the blue pieces. There are a ton of great buildings out there that could have been done instead. The grey circle is not really done well, but I do like the main tall building and the other little one. I am not really a fan of the actual UN organization, they seem worthless really and wonder why TLG chose this...TLG needs to do a building in Denmark, why not do a Frederiksborg Castle?

I want to commend Clone on a great and well written review though, excellent job.

The reason I'd display it from the back is that all I think is "levers" when I see that part. Not flags :(

I second that. It wasn't until I read the review that I understood that is what they were supposed to be (I've never been to NY nor taken an interest in the UN).

If they wanted to reproduce just the flagpole look, they could have used the screwdriver piece (in light bley or something), although then I suppose they would have needed to run hollow studs all along the baseplate. The screwdriver would have given the poles a leaner profile and taken away the bulky base. Not to mention that if I were to display this, I would have to meticulously align all of those levers not only upright, but with their bases all turned exactly the same, as well. Sheesh. On the other hand, I think the half-plate offset in the walls captures the curved look about as well as anything, and looks like it makes the actual building process more interesting.

I might consider picking this set up for the parts.

Good review, thanks!

I am of a different opinion; I love this set as it really looks stunning. Yes, the flagpoles are represented by levers but surely they do the trick of imitiating the real thing. And the small Buildings, and the general look of it - this is the first architecture set in a while that i really, REALLY, want to buy. Never mind what the UN does or doesnt; to me (and I´m Swedish and have never been to New York) it´s instantly recognisable for what it is and the UN Buildings are actually quite famous around the World. So I find a great addition to the range and will certainlybuy this set - or even better, have someone else buy it for me for Christmas! :laugh:

Of course, this might not be NY's most iconic building, but I still think this is a great set. There are some nice techniques (SNOT... SNOT everywhere !), and the set looks nice. I think I'm gonna buy it. Thanks for the review, Cloney !

I'm not sure what to think of this set - it does a fairly good job of representing the source material, but I don't like that the roof of the conference building overhangs the black border. On the other hand, I do like the half-plate offsets everywhere!

Thanks for the review, Clone O'Patra; I hadn't noticed all the details you pointed out.

Thanks for the wonderful review, very useful indeed.

As for the set itself, I'd put it firmly in the middle of the pack based on what I'm seeing at the moment (haven't pick one up yet).

As subject matter goes it's okay, not great, but okay. It certainly is recognizable, but there are more visually interesting and/or historically significant subjects that are still awaiting their turn on the Lego stage.

I give it high marks for the use of SNOT, clever building techniques and (generally positive) color management. From this review, I think it will be an enjoyable build that produces a nice display piece.

As for the designer, I liked the Imperial Hotel better, but at least this offering is light years ahead of his Big Ben clock tower (which is the only Architecture set I've ever felt compelled to MOD - out of the box the proportions are just wrong)

As pieces go, I think there'll be a lot of useful MOC'ing elements, but economically speaking we'll probably have to wait until this is 30% off on Amazon before it become cost-effective to scrap for parts.

I'll likely pick one up the next time I happen to be The Lego Store but I won't be rushing out to get one immediately. It's a good model that fits well with my collection and I want one, but it just doesn't make me want to rush out and get a copy on day one the way prior offerings like the Imperial Hotel, Robie House, Brandeburg Gate and the White House did.

Like the Leaning Tower of Pisa, Falling Water and Sungnyemun Gate, The UN set strikes me as worth having but not particularly compelling.

Nice review. UN is an interesting place. I got a tour of the small booths where the translators sit when the assembly is in session. They have a window view into the hall.

I hope those trans light blue eventually make the Pick A Brick wall.

I'm not so sure the levers approximate "flags" to me.

[ . . . ] the levers/supposed flags...horrible, why not use the straight up pole pieces?

If they wanted to reproduce just the flagpole look, they could have used the screwdriver piece (in light bley or something), although then I suppose they would have needed to run hollow studs all along the baseplate.

I am not sure which element would work better at this scale. I don't know what the 'straight up pole pieces' are; could someone link to them? If they went with screwdriver pieces (which would be at least as hard to line up and keep vertical) there would be 19 tool wheels in the box, since the screwdriver isn't molded by itself.

Thanks for the review; this looks like a very nice set without much repetition.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone! I'm glad the review was helpful or informative to some.

It's interesting to see the responses to this set, especially the levers in place of flag poles. Personally, I find it kind of cute and inventive, even if they aren't quite right. Plus, levers are always handy as far as parts go, especially all-white ones.

Thanks for the review; this looks like a very nice set without much repetition.

Well, the tower portion has a TON of repetition and is rather annoying to build, though with that one more than any other, the hard work pays off. I suppose what you mean is that there are a variety of differently built portions, but there are still a fair share of annoyingly repetitive parts.

Well, the tower portion has a TON of repetition and is rather annoying to build, though with that one more than any other, the hard work pays off. I suppose what you mean is that there are a variety of differently built portions, but there are still a fair share of annoyingly repetitive parts.

Well, yes, that is correct - and I also meant it relative to other Architecture sets, rather than LEGO sets in general.

If they went with screwdriver pieces...there would be 19 tool wheels in the box, since the screwdriver isn't molded by itself.

You got me there, I hadn't thought of that. I guess perhaps the lever was the best option :sceptic:

Nice review! This is certainly a set I want to get. I love the Architecture line, and this is certainly a good part of the series.

That was one of the most enjoyable reviews I've read. I like your writing style, thorough descriptions, and wonderful, clear photos. Your effort is greatly appreciated.

I feel the set is remarkable for its evoking the sight of the UN buildings. It is nicely done, and I like the scale size. The ground elements even look fine to me, the only thing bothering me about this set, is the use of the levers as flags. They just look like poles. Like city street lights, or telephone poles, or just empty flag poles. It takes more imagination to fit those in than I like a finished product to be (I only criticize here because I hold myself to the same standards). To provide a suggestion, perhaps minifig arms in various colors to grip the levers at the top at 90 degrees (parallel to the ground); Reds, purple, green, white, orange, black, etc...

Great review, thank you for posting. I am a big fan of the Architecture sets but have been on the fence about this one. If you're a fan of the Architecture series, you have a different definition of what constitutes expensive :laugh: since the average price point on all of the sets in this series is much higher than with other sets. That said, I still haven't found a way (yet) to justify this purchase. The building itself doesn't "wow" me like the Imperial Hotel or Robie House did-- I'm speaking mostly of the real-life building as I think the set does capture much of the appearance and features of the original.

Still thinking, still looking at it up on the shelf at the LEGO Store, still pondering October Double VIP Points......

--Rob

Thanks for the lovely review Cloney! :wub:

He's also attempted to capture the curves of sides, but they still turn out looking awkward. This building is certainly the lowest point in the set - it looks strange with those steps in the sides, though I know there's little else that could've been done.

I have to disagree here - it looks like the designer has achieved a half plate offset in the SNOT sides of that building, something I don't think I've ever seen before in an official LEGO set, and an imaginitive way to reproduce that unusual deign feature. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this to see how it's done!

Just finished the build. For display, it definitely looks better with the east river side of the building on display as opposed to the view from the street that has the gear shift levers, er, flag poles.

The trans lucent blue bricks are beautiful. I can see where they would sell a lot of this offering just for parts.