Sign in to follow this  
LukefromNJ

Review: 60019 Stunt Plane

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

This is my first review, so feel free to offer advice and/or (constructive) criticism.

Growing up, I had a "brick bucket" but few actual Lego sets. One of the only sets i remember having was the "Eagle Stunt Flyer", which at some point was "borrowed" by my younger brother, and half the pieces were never to be seen again...

This set feels like something of a spiritual successor to that set, with the addition of the ground support vehicle thrown in:

9644391497_0be5c31e97_c.jpg

Back view of packaging:

9647625798_6d4669088e_c.jpg

Bags and manuals: bag 1 is the ground cart and mechanic figure, bag 2 is the plane itself.

9644388659_251a8e5377_c.jpg

Bag 1 assembled:

9644387207_961e284553_c.jpg

With driver and toolchest together. I find it somewhat odd that it has the driver driving in a standing position; I think it would have been better to include a seat or something:

9644385673_b351c806f6_c.jpg

I didn't like the single offset beacon, so I added a second orange cone from my spare parts bin for symmetry:

9644384129_b78fab5bac_c.jpg

The plane itself. I must say, this really captures the look of a modern stunt plane, with the large engine "scoop", the bubble canopy, and the use of bright colors and eye-catching patterns. The pilot minifig is excellent as well, with his mirrored sunglasses and pilot's uniform.

9647618324_fc5187b044_c.jpg

With the pilot at the controls:

9644380839_910cf37f81_c.jpg

Overall, I'd give the set a 9/10: it may be a bit bare-bones, but overall it does what it has to do, and at only $20, it's quite a bargain by Lego price standards. Other than a few niggles with the cart, I can see the set providing hours of fun, as the plane is an inherently whooshable design and so far it holds together well through sharp maneuvers (I had to test fly it after all :wink: ). I know some people don't like stickers, but here the stickers aren't excessive and they're easy to place.

Nice try at a review 'LukefromNJ', a plain background and table top would have been better to photograph on plus some build progress shots too.

Still, it's a great little set...I found the plane a joy to build and glad to add it to my collection.

Brick On Review On 'LukefromNJ' ! :grin:

Good review. And I'm now tempted to buy the set. Were there any unusual parts or interesting build techniques?

Congratulations for your review.

A plain background would be better for the photos, and the box photos could be taken in a better perspective, avoinding the trapezoid shape and cut box margins.

And maybe a shot of the DSS (dreaded sticker sheet...) One question: Is the tail printed our stickered?

A good set but in my opinion the canopy is too big (buble). Didn´t realized that the ground crew was standing and not seated in the vehicle, if you change the plates and put one 2 x 2 can the guy be seated our does it look odd (with the seering wheel on is face?)

It was a pretty straightforward build, nothing too unusual in the construction. I do like many of the parts included, especially the engine scoop (I could see that going onto the hood of an MOC hot rod quite easily). The fact that the wings were swept forward rather than backward seemed unusual at first, but now that it's assembled it looks right.

The canopy doesn't look quite as oversized in real life as it does in the pictures. Compared to many modern stuntplanes, it's big but not overly so.

Nothing is printed on the plane, everything uses stickers. All in all there aren't that many, 1 set of chevrons on the cart's bumper, on the plane a sticker is on either side of the tail, one behind the cockpit, one just behind the engine and one on either side of the engine.

Replacing the plates on the vehicle, the driver doesn't look like he's too low but it still looks kind of weird, like he's sitting on the floor. In my opinon, they should have included a chair (which all of the other airport ground vehicles/forklifts/other small vehicles I've built have).

Overall, I'd give the set a 9/10: it may be a bit bare-bones, but overall it does what it has to do, and at only $20, it's quite a bargain by Lego price standards.

Hi LukefromNJ. Thank you for your review! I had been eying this set in stores as it looks fun. However, it doesn't seem a great bargain to me - most of the other $20 US City sets have far more bricks. 140 elements for the Stunt Plane, around 200 or more for the 'Great Vehicles'. I still like the look of this set though.

As far as the landing gear goes, I think the look they were going for was fixed landing gear with "wheel pants" or "wheel spats", such as:

Cessna182t_skylane_n2231f_cotswoldairshow_2010_arp.jpg

Keep in mind, also, that this is not a model of a light plane like a Cessna or a Piper Cub, but of a modern high-performance stunt plane, so some parts of the plane that might look oversized compared to those planes look fine on a stunt plane:

800px-Extra_200_01.jpg

As far as price is concerned, I generally look at what you get from the assembled model (or models in this case) rather than on a piece-by-piece basis. That said, while there are less pieces in this than in a similarly-priced truck kit, there are also quite a few unique or rare pieces and also 2 minifigs, one of which is (to my knowledge at least) only found in this set.

I have a weak spot for small lego planes and this one is no exception.

So I had to buy it. From the pictures I was afraid the canopy would be to big,

but I agree with Luke, it isn't.

Just one strange detail, on one of the bottom pieces I noted not all 'Lego' prints

were oriented the same way. Two are rotated 90 degrees. Never seen this before.

Has someone been sleeping when the mold was put together?

logorotated.jpg