Sign in to follow this  
Lobot

[SoNE Ep. 1] Fixing the Hyperdrive

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

'Fixing' the hyperdrive

Hi, this is my entry for Episode I of SoNE. The main problem with this MOC was a lack of source material that I could use, just Google 'Hyperdrive' to see what I mean :wink: Anyway, I based it on a design that I found in my, ever useful, 'Millennium Falcon Modified YT-1300 Corellian Freighter' Haynes Manual. And, for non-UK folk, the wonderful people at Haynes usually write manuals on DIY car repairs.... so it's a bit of a change from their typical books!

In my MOC, Lobot (still in Stormtrooper armour), makes some delicate 'adjustments' to the Hyperdrive so that the rebels won't be able to escape the Imperial blockade. I originally intended to make this a lot larger, but from the cross-sections in the manual it's really cramped, so I decided to keep it small.

'Isn't that pretty, it's almost a shame to break it':

img_5212.jpg

As usual, I've illuminated this using Technic LEDs.

Side view:

img_5270.jpg

I'm quite pleased with this, especially the main 'cooling tower'; it took far longer that I'd hoped but I'm a very slow builder.

Another side view:

img_5277.jpg

This shows the entire MOC. I built it to be modular, so the sections can be split apart.

View from above:

img_5283.jpg

I used lots of dark bluish-grey grills this time, I thought it might help to break up the light-bluish grey :laugh:

Completing essential repairs on the Hyperdrive:

img_5287.jpg

I appreciate that in The Empire Strikes Back, Chewbacca spends most of his time trying to re-build C-3PO, but I just couldn't have a Falcon MOC without Chewie. In this scene Chewie is overseeing the repairs to the Hyperdrive, by a Cloud City technician, or is that vice-versa?

C & C welcome. Cheers, Robin :classic:

Wow! Another fantastic moc Lobot! Love it all, greebling, the scene, the grilles work great for the floor! And of course the photo is superb... :thumbup::wub:

I love how well this fits into the canonical story of Empire, and I do like that trans-blue tower. :wub: Reminds me of the shield generators in Battlefront II. And once again, your extensive use of grilles is perfect.

Question: Is this taking place outside the Falcon, in a facility in Cloud City? I ask because of how squarish the walls are.

Looking at the last pic it reminds me of a cross section of a train engine with Chewie in the cockpit :laugh:. And Haynes does a Falcon manual *oh2* I'll have to check it out. As usual fantastic job on the lighting. Doesn't the Falcon in ESB have tan coloured padding around the place?

Another great work, Lobot :thumbup: :thumbup: Very well detailed as usual :wink:

This is very nice! The lighting is superb in that first picture. I also like how you created so many nice details with a variety of pieces.

Very nice detailing on the scene. I particularly love the way you worked the light on your first picture.

The Hyperdrive and your character really take the attention in the MOC.

The scene is sufficient in size to tell the story and have little recommendations for improvement.

Some suggestions:

- maybe a little more color

- the studs next to the hyperdrive could be attached or connected to each other

- if you would make the MOC larger, I would do that only to create more depth, not widen the model

Good luck, but for the looks of it, you are doing fine.

Nice, I like that first picture, great atmosphere.

Edited by Sebeus I

Thanks for the comments everyone, really appreciated :classic:

Question: Is this taking place outside the Falcon, in a facility in Cloud City? I ask because of how squarish the walls are.

Good point Doc, I struggle with building straight walls, let alone curved ones!! :laugh: It's probably best to put the 'anomaly' down to differences in the different Falcons they used during the OT films; the one I copied had straight walls in the Hyperdrive room, honestly :innocent2:

That first picture is fantastic! My favorite picture in all the entries! I love all the details, and the way you incorporated a key element of the movie. This is one my favorite Imperial entries. Excellent work!

Great hyperdrive! I never saw one, but I would outright believe you that it looks like this. And nice way to tie up the film.

I really like your style of building! All the details look great and your picture taking is superb! Great Entry for the Dark Side!