Sign in to follow this  
CM4Sci

[CUUSOO] The Road of Oz hits 10k!

thumb640x360.jpg

EDIT: Accidentally uploaded this too early. :blush:

I'm excited about this one. Lots of good projects this quarter. I wish they'd all become sets!

-Sci

Edited by CM4S

as consolation, you're one vote closer now ;)

I supported it to help it along. Although, it might be best to not have it hit 10k since this review period is getting a tad full as we speak.

Either way, it will hit the number sooner or later.

Very awesome little piece here. All of the characters and scenes are instantly recognizable, there's a minimal use of new molds (I think the Tin Man's hat is new), and I like how the Yellow Brick Road is built. They even threw in the trees that sound a bit like Popeye.

If this does make it to 10,000, then TLG has a rather tough choice between this or Ghostbusters. I know it's a very tough decision for me, not even considering what else TLG has to choose from here.

If this is chosen, it will be very, very interesting to see how it will get made,and it might even be my first CUUSOO set, depending on how future ones look, unless I get my hands on a Delorean eventually. Does anybody else wonder if they'll use the Series 11 Pretzel Girl's hair in brown for Dorothy!

Though there shouldn't be too much problem to pass, I wonder if it'll be doing with Disney license (if they have plans for sequels) or CMF series (suppose that they can use characters from any free literatures).

Though there shouldn't be too much problem to pass, I wonder if it'll be doing with Disney license (if they have plans for sequels) or CMF series (suppose that they can use characters from any free literatures).

This project is specifically for the MGM film. :wink:

It's a great little set, but I have to feel that the GB supporters would howl if the Wiz got picked over it...so I am hoping it doesn't hit 10K til after the period closes so it can be on the next session

Ghostbusters would be cool - but I think Oz would be awesome.

Would they only have to get the rights from the movie studio if this worked? Or would they have to somehow get permission from the author/publishers of the original books?

I would much rather see Ghostbusters that this Oz thing :)

vote for both then,. :) ...they will both eventually get made more then likely.

Ghostbusters would be cool - but I think Oz would be awesome.

Would they only have to get the rights from the movie studio if this worked? Or would they have to somehow get permission from the author/publishers of the original books?

I believe Baum's books are in the public domain? So no license needed there. Heck it might be debatable if they even need a specific movie license if they deviate a bit from the movie look. But I suspect it would be more politic to get the license from Disney, given Lego's good working relationship there. Just selling the sets at the Hollywood Studios gift shops and Downtown Disney would probably make the movie license worthwhile.

I know, so the problem is the possible current licenses. Though we had multiple versions of Marvel heros, literature license could be different.

Edited by Dorayaki

Isn't MGM a Disney property these days? That's why the recent Oz prequel was released under the Disney banner, and why Disney owns and operates the MGM theme parks?

Isn't MGM a Disney property these days? That's why the recent Oz prequel was released under the Disney banner, and why Disney owns and operates the MGM theme parks?

Good point about the theme park stuff. I believe the new Oz movie is unrelated to the MGM one, and is just based off the books as they're in public domain. I know they had to pay for loyalties to include the Ruby Slippers (from the MGM movie and not the books) in Return to Oz, and that's why they didn't want to include it in Oz: The Great and Powerful. So, yeah, they're unrelated.

It would appear as though Warner Bros owns the rights to the MGM film along with nearly all the MGM productions pre-1986 (Turner Broadcasting acquired the rights when they bought the MGM library in the late 1980s and then Warner bought Turner in the late 1990s)

Edited by jonwil