DrJB

Studless 8880 ... has anyone attempted this?

I've always been tempted to 'modernize' the 8880, by removing all the unnecessary (bulky) beams, and replcing them with liftarms and other styling components (panels, flex beams, ...). The goal here is to keep the same key components of the 8880, such as transmission and wheels/suspension/steering. I bet the result would be 'interesting' .... Questions is: has anyone tried this already?

if you type "studless 8880" in Google image search, you'll find some stuff there.

Anyway, I don't think that would be interesting, the 8880's style is so studded. Building it studless, either you'll end up with a car that doesn't resemble the original 8880, or would look totally boring "so you made it studless..... okay" in my opinion.

Edited by Lipko

I should have called it 8880 with smoother/leaner curves .... how's that?

I did not realise 8880 was such a good set. I was too busy working overtime when 8880 came out. I like the idea of modernising something. For example I would add retractable ski's, drop down headlights that reveal machine guns and a revolving licence plate. Maybe someone could James Bond it. I might rebuild my 8865 test car and James Bond it if I can find the instruction book.

H

I'm making a stud-less 8448 and 8880 as we speak but with a few improvements to the steering, suspension and transmission.

I scrapped the 8880, because it wasn't really true to the original models functions and chassis design.

Accuratley converting studded technic+system into studless technic is a nightmare

Edited by SNIPE