Sign in to follow this  
Lego Junkie

Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel. (MOC)

I've got many fond memories of children's books I read when I was younger, and none so much as Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel.

While it's a pretty depressing book, it's still one of my favorites.

So I figured I'd take a stab at building Mary Anne the steam shovel from the book!

9623027509_3bfc9633a9_z.jpg

Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel. by Lego Junkie., on Flickr

9626264038_da70577dd6_z.jpg

And finally, for fun, a shot of the model on my Mike Mulligan T- shirt. ;)

9622751921_0eb9e2bbef_z.jpg

I wasn't familiar with the book/story/original source, and so I had to google it. Your MOC looks really good - and certainly beefy enough to dig a cellar in a day!

Top job, Lego Junkie.

I liked this book as a kid too. The model is spot on and a great steam shovel in it's own right.

Well done.

:classic: :classic:

Delightful. I have fond memories of that book. Your build perfectly captures it.

Awesome! I read this book to my sons so much when they were younger I could almost recite it by rote. Still brings a tear to my eye thinking about those abandoned steam shovels and electric shovels at the bottom of the junk pile.

Edited by pogie

Absolutely beautiful! That was one of my favourite books as a child. Beautiful job on model. I'd love to see something like this on CUUSOO, as things with nostalgic value are often what I support on the site.

I wasn't familiar with the book/story/original source, and so I had to google it. Your MOC looks really good - and certainly beefy enough to dig a cellar in a day!

me too I also found another LEGO MOC of the same vehicle thats pretty cool

I remember reading the book in 1st grade, and I daresay you did an excellent job of recreating Mary Ann. Keep up the good work!

Awesome! I still have my copy of that book, and will read it every now and again. I may have to build a Katy from Katy and the Big Snow now!

Never heard of this before; is it an American thing?

The build looks great; I like the studless red wheels inside the tracks as well as the use of different curves to achieve the ridged look on the roof. Great job!

That is so great! What a great coincidence, I've never read this book until my son and I checked it out from the library this week and we absolutely loved it! I'll have to show him your beautiful recreation! Great work!!

Like many, I loved this book as a kid, read it over and over again, a few years ago my Mom gave me a hardback copy of this book and Katy as well for Christmas. Needless to say they are both in a special place and I love this MOC, pretty much all of Virginia Burton's books are great and that would be a fun line to see built. The Little House, Maybelle and I think she did a Choo Choo book as well. Sure it was back in 1939 when it was written, but there are likely a million or more folks that would pick up a Mary Anne who have fond memories of this...thanks for building and posting. Now you have to complement and do Mary Anne the furnace.

One great thing for me is that there is an old steam shovel on display at a construction HQ here in St Louis and every once in a while I pass it and smile.

Oh this is great! I LOVED that book as a kid. The bucket looks fantastic. Now it must have been my imagination but I could have sworn the boiler was on the side of the cab for some reason. Thank you Google images.

Can't say I've ever heard of the book but the model is great!! I love the look of the eyes... Simple yet so effective.

Excellent work... (Might have a hunt for the book too!)

I'm not familiar with this children's book, but the steam shovel looks awesome! There's some really great details, like the eyes and the effect created by the curved slopes on the cabin roof.

Stunning moc you got there! My sons' think this is the greatest book ever written. Maybe I'll have to make a Katy,coincidently my fiancee's name, with all this inspiration.