Sign in to follow this  
Jimosaurus

[LDD] Small Scale Tantive IV

So I recently finished my first LDD model for this site. It's the Rebel Blockade runner Tantive IV. There were some challenging parts such as getting the engines to align with the rest of the ship as well as the front section. I must give credit where it's due. I based some of the appearance on Dapper-D2 and Hollander's Tantive IV such as the side panels and engines.

x6Y1xZU.png

Overall you can see there are some major differences. I made sure to include all canons like the actual ship including the two duo canons near the front.

6BGZ3eI.png

What's neat about the top turret and radio dish is that they both rotate. I used the 2x2 spinning plate so that they both have rotation along the vertical axis. The bottom ones do not rotate sadly. Also, the turrets on the side of the body are on friction-less pegs which allow them to spin around as well.

oKo11Nl.png

The outer appearance of the engines is very similar to the original by Hollander and Dapper, but the internal structure was a pain and it took me days to invent my own.

Lo8mTEs.png

You can see from the bottom that i also included the escape pods. Although there are 4 per side in the actual movie ship, I couldn't find a way to make that look nice. This is why I settled for 3 instead.

So let me know what you all think! Any tips or suggestions are welcome as I am just starting out here.

Great work on the cannons a nice improvement. I think the front looks a little blocky and could use some smoothing out and I would suggest using this piece for the four corners of the engines.

.Picture_zps89baca98.jpg

Nice work with the reverse-engineering. :thumbup: I think the cannon are a big large; the round hubs are definitely supposed to be smaller, set inside the cylinders that protrude from the hull.

Great work on the cannons a nice improvement. I think the front looks a little blocky and could use some smoothing out and I would suggest using this piece for the four corners of the engines.

.[snip]

They're supposed to be straight. :wink:

Thanks everyone for the compliments and advice!

I plan on going back and looking through some different front designs I had. I was alittle upset with how blocky that part turned out. Also, my turrets need some work. I'm thinking of getting rid of the dishes on the sides of them and shrinking their overall appearence.

Anyway! Thanks again, I'm glad you guys like it. On to the next project.

I just registered and cannot send PMs. I am not sure if it is ok to ask this, but I would love to modify and build one of these myself. Has the author shared the LDD file or is he willing to share? I want to try my hand at making a small Farstar (pictured below) and this would be a great place for me to start. Thanks!

farstarship.jpg

I just registered and cannot send PMs. I am not sure if it is ok to ask this, but I would love to modify and build one of these myself. Has the author shared the LDD file or is he willing to share? I want to try my hand at making a small Farstar (pictured below) and this would be a great place for me to start. Thanks!

farstarship.jpg

I have an LDD file of a similar one. I found it on a reddit thread a while ago, but it seems to have been deleted.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r6j5dtclqfk8gyc/Tantive%20v5.lxf?dl=0 Let me know if that works!