Sign in to follow this  
Horatio-Caine

Ice Planet 2002 Hologram

Yes I know this might seem a little odd, although I suppose it fits in with the Sci Fi part of the forum and it is hopefully interesting information to do with the Ice Planet line from way back when.

Its probably nothing huge but I couldn't really find anything else about it so here goes. A few days ago I purchased a NIB 6973 Deep Freeze Defender from eBay to add to the small collection of new unused old sets that I was most fond of which came today. When I purchased it I noticed it had a label on it saying 'Free Hologram Inside,' and since once of the seals had come off that gave me an excuse to at least have a peak inside before I carefully put everything back and store/admire it. Along with the usual 1993 catalog, service leaflet and even a poster I found the hologram mentioned. It is only palm of your hand sized, but it's cool nonetheless. I have attached some pictures, sorry it is hard to show it off well.

9631695084_dcd5c610e0_z.jpg

It is basically a picture of Commander Cold with the cool icy background and the stars/sky design Lego did back then.

This is definitely new to me, most of the sets I owned for display including this one from when I was mostly into Lego before were from the 90s era and before and I've not seen this in them before, perhaps they were a special freebie that were on a certain few. Makes me wonder if there are any other similar things like this from sets at the time now. I do know that some 6990 boxes came with a free space background sheet.

Edited by Horatio-Caine

Wow you got a steal of a deal there. Your lucky the seller didnt take the hologram piece out because im sure that can fetch a heft price on ebay alone probably into the thousands. What do you plan on doing with the set?

Thanks, I was pretty happy with the price yet alone having it come with the hologram. I personally doubt it is worth that much, although it is a nice and seemingly rather uncommon extra. Having gotten back into Lego to make Space MOC's when it comes to building, I am also a collector so I'll be keeping this new to admire along with the other older NIB sets I own. The Deep Freeze Defender is a personal favourite spaceship and also I feel the best Ice Planet set so it is nice to have it in my own little Lego Vault, of course it's got nothing on Lego's own one haha! :laugh:

Edited by Horatio-Caine

The poster is just this. Basically the picture from the catalog blown up bigger minus the set number boxes. The picture in the link shown is from the 1994 catalog, mine is a bit different as it is the 1993 catalog picture with the Blacktron 2 ship flying over. I think a lot of sets came with posters, I still have the 1993 Pirates poster that I kept from a used example of 6286 I think (sold that many years ago now) and also a 1994 Town poster.

Edited by Horatio-Caine

Wow that picture makes me want to get all those sets. Back in the 1990`s my lego collection comprised mostly of space stuff since it was the most popular theme at the time. I miss those posters that lego use to include. Do you have the space monorail?

Yeah I agree there, those posters were superb! I was also wrong about the poster in the link being from 1994, it is 1993 as it turns out, however again that one doesn't include the Blacktron 2 spaceship flying over. Sadly I don't own the space monorails now (used to when I built the sets to play with and display years ago), I do have a new example of the Town monorail 6399, although at some point when opportunity and money allows I would also like to get 6990 or 6991. I loved all the monorails, it's a pity it was rather short lived, that Seatron monorail concept that I only found out about a bit ago also looked pretty cool as well.

You are right those older monorails were soo great looking. Will be looking forward to your next acquisition.

Well in terms of my next acquisition that might be a while as my recent run of being able to obtain some of my other older favourite new sets has exhausted my money supply, it'll probably be after Christmas until I get anything new added but who knows.

However for now I have decided to upload pictures of the current ones I have over the next while to my Flickr page for those interested in what some older sets look like new/boxed. And to start off I thought that I might as well start with the set talked about in this thread, 6973. I took another picture of the hologram, and also the poster which might bring back some more memories!

9628463107_5d097c51d9_z.jpg

9628460501_153dc797dc_z.jpg

And the rest of them you can see by clicking this link.

Thanks for sharing. I don't recall seeing any of those posters as a kid. I loved Ice Planet and Blacktron II, and castle/pirates amongst other themes. But I don't recall seeing posters.

That hologram is cool too!

Hey what would be the average price would someone like me pay if I wanted to get a set like that from ebay or any old space sets?

This brings back memories. The 6973 was one of my favorite childhood sets (no hologram in mine though as far as I can remember :)

My childhood copy is long gone though but since getting back into LEGO I have obtained all the parts needed to build every Ice Planet 2002 set at once (including the very awesome 6983 Ice Station Odyssey)

Hey what would be the average price would someone like me pay if I wanted to get a set like that from ebay or any old space sets?

That varies as some models are more popular than others, also depends on condition and what country you are buying from. Looking at eBay.com seems that as of late if you buy at the right moment complete boxed examples of 6973 go for around $50. Although because there were so many space sets and themes the prices vary set by set, to get a good idea of value the best thing to do is to check the recent sold listings option on eBay for the sets you would be after.

Continuing with older Lego Space, I've just finished uploading images of the latest two personal favourite older Space sets I have recently obtained thus far to my collection, which are 6954 and 6987, classic Blacktron sets to take you back even further. Anyway I think I've gone on long enough now so I'll stop! :wink:

Edited by Horatio-Caine

http://www.flickr.com/photos/james_r90/9628464901/sizes/o/in/set-72157635304917098/

Wow.

Am I the only one who thinks that these alternate builds (except for the mech, never cared for those) look a lot cooler than the actual set?

I got the Deep Freeze Defender with a huge lot I scored on Ebay earlier this year, and decided to MOC it: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=79637&hl=

That's an awesome find! I had no idea it even existed. Only other hologram I can think of is on the stickers in Exploriens sets.

I love the posters, I used to love looking at the pictures in the catalogues. Only poster I have is from Spyrius. Looking at stuff from that era makes me want to break out the vintage space sets, mine are all packed away in a huge box (that I can't lift!) but there's no room where I currently live to have them built.

http://www.flickr.co...57635304917098/

Wow.

Am I the only one who thinks that these alternate builds (except for the mech, never cared for those) look a lot cooler than the actual set?

I got the Deep Freeze Defender with a huge lot I scored on Ebay earlier this year, and decided to MOC it: http://www.eurobrick...topic=79637&hl=

I don't really have in interest in the mech model either and mech's in general (the smaller spacecraft that goes with it was very cool though), the other alternate models I thought were just as good as the main one. The bottom left one is my favourite, I like it more than the main set itself, shame there is only one picture and no instructions for it or any of the other alternates. Someone out there has probably managed to build it though, I've seen some people make the alternate models on older sets like this and do an accurate job on them.

Nice MOC by the way, the front window panels/cockpit part looks especially nice.

That's an awesome find! I had no idea it even existed. Only other hologram I can think of is on the stickers in Exploriens sets.

I love the posters, I used to love looking at the pictures in the catalogues. Only poster I have is from Spyrius. Looking at stuff from that era makes me want to break out the vintage space sets, mine are all packed away in a huge box (that I can't lift!) but there's no room where I currently live to have them built.

Thanks, I thought those Explorien hologram pieces were cool, probably because they remind me of Star Trek and those famous words 'on screen,' mind you, a lot of the Explorien line itself kinda did, especially the big ship.

Wow that picture makes me want to get all those sets. Back in the 1990`s my lego collection comprised mostly of space stuff since it was the most popular theme at the time. I miss those posters that lego use to include. Do you have the space monorail?

I used to.

None of the links above work anymore. I would love to see all the pictures linked to. Would really like to get one of these holograms!

@Celloguy Regretfully, this thread is nearly a decade old. Over time, Flickr and other hosting accounts tend to fade away. In this case, that has happened. Additionally, the original poster of this topic hasn't been seen online since 2015. I doubt you will get the pictures from them. Good luck on your search.