Kivi

MOC: Suburban passenger train

gallery_8966_235_3881.png

My recent build is this suburban passenger train. It is not a replica of any real rolling stock, though the design and livery are roughly based on UK train operator South West Trains.

dsc00539.jpg

The train is an electric multiple unit, consisting of three units. A driver's cab is located at both ends of the train. Unlike the model mentioned above which draws electricity from third rail this train picks it up from overhead line.

dsc00540.jpg

The train is 96 studs long. Counting also the bumpers and coupling magnets which protrude slightly beyond the construction, the entire length is 99 studs.

dsc00544.jpg

The driver's cab is virtually completely snoted. Actually this technique left a slight aesthetic flaw – cutouts at the end of the roof above the cabin.

dsc00547.jpg

Front end

dsc00549.jpg

The interior of the front car with segregated driver's cab. The same design is employed in the rear car, with the only difference being the fourth passenger seat which is missing here beacause of the placement of the battery box.

dsc00550.jpg

Though the train appears to be supplied with energy from external source it still needs some standard PF components for independent motion. The IR receiver and battery box are placed in two different cars which allows easier masking of the compoments and better utilization of the passenger compartments. The motor is placed under the middle car.

dsc00551.jpg

The interior of the middle car

dsc00554.jpg

The pantograph is not completely my invention but I used the design that has already appeared in some creations here on Eurobricks.

This is a nice train design with an interesting (lively) colour scheme. The idea to segregate the battery box and IR receiver is great, as it leads to more room for the minifigs to sit in both cars. Also, the snoted cabin is a nice touch to round up the front design, specially seeing that the original train is pretty ''box-y''. Nice work.

Edited by Redhead1982

AWESOME train 'Kivi', I :wub: it especially the over head power lines and the interior of the carriages......seating and passageway spaced perfectly. :grin:

Brick On 'Kivi' ! :grin:

No doubt, this is an excellent 6W passanger train, however, I add some suggestions to improve it.

For example, the pantograph design is well known and nice, but the lower part is missing (for me). Using a T-shaped bar and one more 4-5L hose per pantograph will improve a lot. The other part I don't like so much are the doors. As I see, all the doors are 2 studs wide, it can be replaced with five plates in SNOT. SNOT can easely made by blue brick 1×1 with one stud on side, a red plate - 1×2 trans clear brick - red tile combination could improve the look of the doors.

Of course, these are little things, but think about it. :)

Really great looking train `Kivi`. You did it again. Nice with the colors and curved roof ;)

It does indeed look a lot like the trains run by South West Trains, (They come to my home station.) but I should say that at least the ones that travel on the South West Trains route from my home to London and back do not have pantographs at all as they pick up the current from a third rail that runs along the ground next to the wheels, we don't have any overhead cables down here in the deepest south. Other than that it pretty much captures the essence of the trains.

I often bemoan that nearly all the modern LEGO trains based on European ones have pantographs as for me unless I travel a long way i do not see them at all.

Hey, I really like those a lot. I especially like the color stripes and the fact that you strung cantenary. Do you have any pics of the cantenary going around curves? Thanks for sharing.

I often bemoan that nearly all the modern LEGO trains based on European ones have pantographs as for me unless I travel a long way i do not see them at all.

I used to feel that way too, but the pantograph is easily removed and the trains still look great. The Horizon Express would look a little odd in this fashion however, IMO.

Joe

It, unfortunately, reminds me too much of my years commuting into London. ( :ugh: x 1,000,000)

But it does look good - the colour scheme is spot on and I like the SNOT front, although I think Ashi Valkoinen may have a good point about the doors

Thanks for sharing it with us!

@all: Thanks.

As I see, all the doors are 2 studs wide, it can be replaced with five plates in SNOT.

I already used this technique for the driver's cabin door, slightly discernible in fifth picture. Your suggestion is definitely in the place so I might use it for the train doors too.

Do you have any pics of the cantenary going around curves?

Unfortunately no, though I've been tempted to build them along one curve at least. As the curves are quite tight I would have to stack them relatively close together and that would consume lots of certain bricks.

It does indeed look a lot like the trains run by South West Trains, (They come to my home station.) but I should say that at least the ones that travel on the South West Trains route from my home to London and back do not have pantographs at all as they pick up the current from a third rail that runs along the ground next to the wheels, we don't have any overhead cables down here in the deepest south. Other than that it pretty much captures the essence of the trains.

As it is intended to be a part of a display (sometime in the future probably) I put the pantographs in as my addition to the basic design of an EMU, since very few displays of lego trains I saw actually had both pantographs and overhead lines. Though adding a third rail to the track to re-create a power source wouldn't be difficult on straight tracks, but would probably have to be done with some flex elements to make the way around the curves and points.

This looks great especially the front and catenary. All you need to do is fill it with 3000 minifigs and it will be a perfect replica of a rush-hour train to London.

this is a great build, love the power lines idea, also as mentioned the power segregation for more room for minifigs. great job :grin:

It looks nice and has a definitely commuter train feel to it. Although the colours are right I'm not sure that the layout of the colours matches any South West Trains livery that I've seen and you have missed the most important part of any model of a UK train - The yellow front and rear which is a requirement of UK trains.

Cheers

Rog

This looks great especially the front and catenary. All you need to do is fill it with 3000 minifigs and it will be a perfect replica of a rush-hour train to London.

True- reminds me of my train rides to London from Colchester 20 yours ago... fun days. :sceptic:

Kivi, I think this is great. :thumbup: