Tariq j

Your LEGO regrets

Buying some of my minifigures in a rush and getting so many extras because I convinced myself I didn't need to double check

I have to say I regret buying a lot of smaller sets instead of saving that money for a few bigger display-worthy sets. I'm not much of a MOCer, so when I dismantle a set it goes into "the tubs" and just takes up space. I have some nice big display sets like MMM, the Burrow and the Constitution, and I'm always conscious of how many more of those I could have had by now if I didn't fritter away the money on $20 sets that I eventually dismantled and will most likely never rebuild.

This is on my mind right now because I've discovered I really, really want the T1 Camper and the other large-scale cars, and while I technically have the money for the camper, I really should have skipped some smaller sets to buy the one big one.

Yes, yes yes yes! I have so many small sets I bought thinking I would use them to populate my city, but the money I spent buying a bunch of small cars, I could've used to buy an actual building for my sad excuse of a city! I also regret missing out on the 2013 city square because it was a thousand times better than the one released this year, does anyone else feel that the 2013 version is far superior? Maybe that's just me but I really regret it!

We visited Legoland California in 2003 when I was 9 years old. My parents wanted to get me copy of Fort Legoredo (6792-1); but I told them I wanted to get the two early release Rahkshi instead. I still have those two Rahkshi, but I want to step on a brick every time I recall I could have had Fort Legoredo instead...

I regret having zero photographs exist of the lego builds I made as a kid... it being before the time of digital camera's and analog photo's being too expensive. In my memories, they were elaborate and awesome builds! At one time, I covered the entire coffee table (which was technically my Lego table) with blue paper and had the enitre thing filled with pirate ships, treasure islands, and fortresses.

But then, looking back, aside from beard growth not much has changed....

Selling my Death Star 10188. I didnt have much space for it and wanted to buy new sets so i sold it :cry_sad:. Hopefully the new one will be more of a playset display like 10188 as opposed to something like 10143. I'm not letting it slip past me this time

I had a sort of false start coming out of my dark age. Around early 2011 i started buying Technic sets. While I enjoyed those sets and don't regret buying them, at the time I felt like anything minifig related was sort of kids stuff. I held back from really getting into the hobby and didn't really MOC at all. After about a year I stopped again. Then in late summer 2014 I saw The LEGO Movie. That Christmas I got all my LEGO from my parents house and sorted it into stack-on drawers. From there I was fully into the hobby and realized my passion was for Castle and historical fantasy building. So what I regret is that I was somewhat back into LEGO around 2011 but was totally blind to all the the great Kingdoms and Lord of the Rings sets. Luckily I was at least able to buy all the Castle 2013 sets on clearance that I wanted, several Hobbit sets, and Kingdoms Joust. I also regret missing out on the Haunted House which was still for sale when I got into LEGO in earnest, but I just didn't realize its greatness in time.

I guess I can't change the way my brain works, but I regret not having been exposed early on to more intricate building beyond basic bricks, such as Lego Technic or K'nex. I'm envious of the Technic MOCs people here come up with, particularly thing like kinetic sculptures (vehicles are just not my thing).

giving away my castle, robin hood and technic sets from 86-88 when I moved house 6 years ago and just got back into Lego a few months ago :pir_bawling:

Buying the 2011 Anakin and Sebulbas pod racers. I've never done anything with them or their pieces aside from build them and take them apart, and they went on sale the next day for $30 less!

Regret not buying the 2007 MTT. I love that set.

Second this.

I regret handing on the lego set of my older children to other kids. I should have kept hold of them for my own selfish use.

I regret taking apart my old 90's Lego, lost several mini figures and vital pieces that way...

And not getting the Hogwarts castle set back in 2002 when I had the chance, instead I wanted the Soccer champions set 3420...

I regret having zero photographs exist of the lego builds I made as a kid... it being before the time of digital camera's and analog photo's being too expensive. In my memories, they were elaborate and awesome builds! At one time, I covered the entire coffee table (which was technically my Lego table) with blue paper and had the enitre thing filled with pirate ships, treasure islands, and fortresses.

But then, looking back, aside from beard growth not much has changed....

I second this! I have this image in my head of the most amazing house and car my brother built when we were kids. Wish I had pics of those.

Most of them are connected with my childhood.

- damaging some parts, painting them with sharpies (yeah, I was dumb)

- not having ability to memorize (pics or LDD file) many of my childhood MOCs, especially those Star Wars ones

- losing some rare parts

But some are more thorough:

- not buying many ridiculously discounted sets I saw (main reason I spent all my month's saved money on 42000 when I saw it at a discount last year) and visiting Lego wholesale stores

- living in a place where nearly nobody organizes garage sales and sellers who try to earn 120% of the MSRP on stuff that is still on official sale.

That's all I can think of now.

I gave up my only opprtunity to get comic-con super hero exclusive figures at a non bankrupcy-inducing price. It was 2011, and there were lots of Batmans and Green Lanterns on eBay. I could've gotten them for $50 each, but I decided to wait for a price drop that never came. Sadly they are now worth 7 times that...

Hello,

I'm looking forward to building the Grove GMK6400 MOC some day. I have one 42009 mobile crane and I'm hunting for a bargain to get a second one. Then one day, there was two of them, brand new, at an online retailer close to me for 179 Eur a piece. It wasn't a killer deal, so I hesitated too long. Decided to buy it the next day, and of course they were gone. The more time passes, the more annoyed I am at myself for not buying. I can get a used one cheaper of course, but new is new. Could have even bought both.

Do you have a story of a bargain you missed, a deal you never took?

I bought an 42042 for $218 (NZD), they went on sale a couple days later for $180. I then wanted a second set, but being paid monthly meant I missed getting the second one on sale as well by a few days.

An outdoor challenger with working motors and receiver and all that jazz for $35. I asked the seller to send me videos and pictures to prove it all worked which he did then I went back the next day and it was sold :cry_sad:

I have two of them ... they're ok until you get bored of them.

8675-1.jpg

As for the sets I missed, the fiorano was on sale at the lego site for $100. At that time I was thinking who would need another yellow red car ... well :(

8145-1.jpg

Edited by DrJB

I missed the Unimog and 4x4 limited edition. Heard great things about those sets...

Although I did pick up a VERY lightly used mindstorms kit for cheap. Usual selling price for Canada is $400 I picked it up for $250... I seem to be lucky yet unlucky...

Edited by Buddy010702