Tariq j

Your LEGO regrets

Pretty much missing out on the following 10182, 10196, 10185. I've since built a carousel and i'm working on the other two as we speak. I think everyone regrets selling their childhood collection. Having kids now it would be awesome to see them getting the same enjoyment out of them that i did.

Besides not discovering the joy of Technic years ago my biggest Lego regret without doubt is selling my 8258 & 8275.

My only excuse is I was offered very, very good prices for each (over £200 for 'bully'). I've regretted it ever since especially as the 8258 was the first ever Technic set I built.

I've just swapped a couple of sets that were 'surplus to requirement' for an 8275 and am looking for an 8258 but man, they're expensive!

Giving away my huge tub of Star wars, City, Dino attack, Bionicle, Exoforce, Kingdoms, Artic and some others (from 1999-2007) for free to a lil boy, who was one of my mums long forgotten friends son. Back in middle school I just thought LEGO wasn't worth much used since it was a toy. But now coming back to it I regret it all. Ugh, I had the Cloud City set. It pains me everyday :cry_sad:

But looking at the glass half full, I introduced more than enough LEGO to a child who will probably love LEGO forever :laugh:

My biggest regret has to be holding the UCS Millenium Falcon 10179 in my hands and putting it back on the shelf, and not getting it in the end! Aaaarrrrrgggghhhhh!!!

In the early 80's I had EVERY Fabuland set from 1979 (when this line started), 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984......and about 50% of the 1985 sets.

Do I still have them?

Actually......

No.

Somewhere in the early 90's I sold the lot.

At that time it was collecting dust. I never played with it and who knew that someday it would become collectible?

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Missing out on the Santa Fe when it was available when I was a kid. If I recall, I had enough money for the locomotive, a passenger carriage and a freight carriage, I can't exactly remember what happened, but I never got it. I think it may have been down to something else in my order form went out of stock so they cancelled the order, or I waited too long, can't remember which. Though I have figured, when I get back in to Lego proper after I finish university and enter the career world, I shall design my own streamliner style train.

I regret not buying all the Fantasy Castle and Pirates (2009) lines right as I got out of my Dark Ages, as they were both on clearance and would be gone from shops soon after. At the time, I still wasn't sure I wanted to invest so much money on this newly re-discovered hobby and, at the time, didn't feel like committing to more than one theme... Over the years that followed, I managed to get most of the Pirates line and some (not nearly enough thoug!) of Fantasy Castle - but it's been an uphill struggle. Especially since I insist on getting them new in box.

Skeleton Ship Attack and Shipwreck Island, you shall be mine some day!

I regreted giving every lego I had when i was a kid to my cousin because I thought I outgrown Lego at that time (i was 15 i think) ( 4 castles, hundreds of castle minifigs, bunch of lego star wars sets, harry potter sets, bionicles, ...)

Now he's outgrown it and decided to throw it away (WTF?)

Now I have to rebuild my lego from scratch :cry_sad:

Edited by NandoStar

My biggest regret is easily getting the 2nd edition LEGO Collector's Guide. Once I looked through it I realised all the cool sets and stuff I missed during my woefully long dark ages. (another regret)

Not buying more BIONICLE sets. Giving away rare bricks to people who lost it and I really need them now. Not buying huge amount of series 10 packs to get mr.Gold. :tongue:

I regret resisting the urge to get out of my Dark Age. I am a big Modular Building fan and I missed out on the Green Grocer, Corner Cafe, Town Hall and Fire Brigade.

dismantling my Exo Toa and Taka Nuvas speeder thing, and shunning Lego as I grew up

A couple of months ago I missed the Green Grocer on Craigslist for $100 apparently complete. I hadn't really looked into modulars much so didn't know what I was looking at so didn't act faster. Someone got an enjoyable deal that day.

Edited by prairie

Regret not buying more rare Technic wheels at a great price.

Edited by Sayori

My biggest regret has to be holding the UCS Millenium Falcon 10179 in my hands and putting it back on the shelf, and not getting it in the end! Aaaarrrrrgggghhhhh!!!

And here I thought I was the only one kicking myself in the megablocks for doing this. What are the odds that Lego makes an updated UCS Falcon for the new trilogy? Probably slim. But, (A New) hope springs eternal!

Edited by Colossus

My updated regrets, since this topic seems to have gained some steam. A.K.A. confessions of a LEGO addict.

My biggest regret right now is all the sets sitting on shelves in my home "office,"... and in my office closet, my bedroom closet, and stashed all around the place because I have no room to display the things that I desperately would love to build. I have no room for a train layout aside from my yearly train layout at Christmas. Sometimes I box up a set that is sitting on display so that I can build a new set. I got into far too many themes. I was 7 years old when Star Wars first came out, leaving an indelible mark in my soul... but in retrospect, I probably shouldn't have added Star Wars to the list of themes I collected. Architecture was fun when it was three or four small $20 sets, but I shouldn't have kept at it as long as I did. Fantasy Castle was great because I was a LOTR fan, but for some reason I kept buying after Fantasy ended. I also swooped up all the last round Harry Potter and most of the Pirates of the Caribbean sets just for fear of missing them.

I'm a lot better at picking and choosing now. I didn't even buy all the LOTR/Hobbit sets because, frankly, they just weren't that great. I've cut WAY back, from several thousand dollars a year on LEGO to well under $1000 now, and dropping... but there are still sets that I can't "miss," because I still like the theme (like modulars).

Thinking about it, I do regret not getting the UCS Imperial Shuttle or the Millennium Falcon.

I feel like I should get Orthanc and the Slave I before I regret not getting those as well, even though that would eventually exceed my budget...