Sign in to follow this  
Leo604

Nintendo 2DS

It's actually a 3DS without the 3D. Its designed for kids who are too young for the 3D features of the 3DS and break hinges easily.

Although the 3D feature on the 3DS was the big selling feature, as far as I've seen (and read) barely anybody uses it. This is a good idea from that perspective, but that tablet design is a HUGE draw back. It's no longer pocket portable, and that is a major drawback for a handheld device. The clamshell design was perfect for transport. Being that this (supposedly) is to get the attention of adults with young kids, the thick design (and probably stronger shell) should be up for the challenge of being dropped by smaller hands, as well as the lack of 3D being hurtful for their eyes.

Here's hoping it comes with some sort of case, though. ($12 extra? Lame move.) I'd hate to get those screens scratched. Definitely will pass on this guy, unless it becomes the only one available in the future when the 3DS I have now lives it's full life.

Edited by Penkid11

Is it wrong that I'm genuinely interested in this? :tongue:

I'll be spending enough on the next-gen as it is, so getting a Wii U is pretty much out of the question. If it's comfortable enough to actually hold while you're playing it, I'd be happy with getting a discount just for the simplistic design and lack of 3D capabilities. I've missed Nintendo's exclusives, and the upcoming Super Smash Brothers game has me tempted.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHASERIOUSLY? A 2DS? really? Really Nintendo? It looks so ugly. If kids are too young too handle a 3DS with the 3D turned off then they're too young for video games.

This is horrendous.

May I ask what's so horrendous about it? It has a simple and streamlined design, and the loss of the 3D gimmick for a cheaper price is fine for me because I'm mainly interested in the games. Seems like a cool little device for me, I might have to pick one up. :wub:

I don't know how to feel about this. It is nice Nintendo has SOMETHING during this seemingly endless war between Sony and Microsoft, but it just doesn't look right.

As a 3DS owner, this is just not worth anything. I may not use the 3D much, no, but that's because it kills battery life. I would still take my folding 3DS over this any day. The hinge is quite strong, though. Rumour is the 2DS only actually has one screen, and that that is cheaper. Then, obviously, it can't fold.

Not foldable, so stupid.

PSP can't fold, (original) GameBoys couldn't fold. I don't see why a handset has to fold for it to be considered "decent".

Nintendo really needs to fire their department in charge of naming stuff. I mean seriously between this and WiiU? It's like the assigned the job to the accounting department?

Nintendo really needs to fire their department in charge of naming stuff. I mean seriously between this and WiiU? It's like the assigned the job to the accounting department?

I'm still waiting for the Wii 4DSi XL-U. :tongue:

I'm intrigued. This seems to be Nintendo's way of competing with the tablet market, hence the squared tablet look. Though they would have been better off making one big screen rather than two, that would have made it look better. Plus it's cheaper, so this has a moderate chance of making money despite the insanely stupid name.

It is one big screen. Piece of plastic splits it.

Really? That was a weird decision to say the least.

At least it's a cheap option to play 3ds games.

Remember, folks, this was intended for the younger audience - kids who are too young to be able to actually use the 3D functionality. As a result, trusting a three-four-five-six year old with a hinged device would probably not hold up... Thus the 2DS's clamshell design.

Honestly, I can see this selling very well come holiday season. You really can't say "no" to a $130 portable, especially with one with such an excellent library of games.

The whole 3d damaging kid eyeballs is an annoying myth that a lot of companies will put warnings for "just in case".

And you can't be too young to use the 3d functionality....

The whole 3d damaging kid eyeballs is an annoying myth that a lot of companies will put warnings for "just in case".

And you can't be too young to use the 3d functionality....

If that annoying myth is causing parents to forego buying their kids a 3DS, it doesn't matter if it's true or not. What matters is that there is a whole segment of potential 3DS gamers who are not buying a 3DS, and if the 2DS can help address that then that's a win for Nintendo.

Really? That was a weird decision to say the least.

At least it's a cheap option to play 3ds games.

"Guess what? Now you can play all your 3DS games that you spent $40 to play in 3D......in 2D! Ain't dat speeeeeeecial?"

"Guess what? Now you can play all your 3DS games that you spent $40 to play in 3D......in 2D! Ain't dat speeeeeeecial?"

That's a bit harsh. :laugh:

Anyway, as an owner of a 3DS, I have to agree that the design isn't that great.

However, I must state the fact that it's not only for children who can't use the 3D.

Here are two reasons why I think Nintendo made the choice to produce this:

1. The price is $40 less than a 3DS. And what could you do with that extra $40? I'm looking at you Tolkien. :wink:

2. What day is it being released? October 12th you say? I wonder why. How about Pokemon X and Y? (That was a great rhyme right? :tongue:) I believe that Nintendo probably got some negative feedback about the Pokemon = Nintendo DS theme ending (duh), so they made a less expensiv compensation to the 3DS.

(By the way, I like Pokemon :classic:)

Edited by Lego Spy