Mikisajlo

Is Lego only for kids?

Guys,I have a problem.I want to start my Lego hobby,but everyone says that Lego is only for kids and that Im too old for that. Im little embarrassed. Should I keep buildng? Can somebody say me something about it. please :classic:

Every one who posts on this website 'plays' with Lego and none of them are kids.

Don't let anyone put you off. Most of the MOCs on here show that it's not just a plaything for kids, but also a great artistic medium.

Keep Building.

You're asking that here? A site specifically for adult fans of LEGO??

:wink:

No, LEGO is for all ages - well, mainly for kids, sure, but not exclusively. If you enjoy it, build away, and don't pay any attention to what others say. :classic:

If lego were only for kids then lego would not have made any ucs sets like the star was line. Or even the very expensive sets like the modular buildings.

Yes, lego is for kids to play with it and for adults to create with it. :classic:

If you like it, take it up and enjoy it. You shouldn't particularly care about what 'everyone' says as long as it doesn't harm anyone.

I get a lot of stick from people at shops like "Your (insert age) and your buying Lego?!", and from some of my friends, and I used to care, but now I just think Smeg it, and say to those people "Yes, I am. Have you got a problem with that? Its for all ages, weather your 8 or 80. Google Lego modular buildings or Lego Imperial Flagship and You will see what I mean". By then, I've either got Security men wrestling me out of the shop or I've got one very embarrassed shop worker. But on a serious note, just ignore those who mock you over your hobby. Every night I build with my Girlfriend, and we then almost always end up playing with my Pirates or Knights or Superhero’s. Its just another hobby. And my Mom, after my Grandmother said that I was to old for Lego when I was younger said something that has stuck with me for years,

Your never too old for Lego, no matter what somebody says.

The prices indicate that they're probably not just for kids!

I mean that as a joke, but then you get to sets like the Opera House and the Ewok village and the time and display space they take up and the shine of the humor wears off just a bit.

If anyone says that your too old for lego, send them to ebay to seach for cafe corner or market street, or the taj mahal, Id love to see any kid save that much pocket money. Lego is now a collectors item so definetly not just for kids.

non lego fan would say that frequently. just ignore them. you do what you want to do. as long as it doesn't disrupt your life, why not?

Just show them pictures of adult sets and adult mocs and they are quiet in seconds.

Lego is for everyone. The only difference between the ages may be how much money is spent on the addiction.

I am 10 years older than you and I am not embarrassed... :)

Don't mind what non Lego fans talk... use your bricks and start building! :sweet:

If Lego were just for kids, this entire site would be rendered completely redundant. There's no laws banning adults from playing with toys or building blocks, so don't feel embarrassed at all. From my own experiences, most of my friends initially thought it was a little weird but now basically tolerate whenever I randomly tell them about new sets coming out.

If lego were only for kids then lego would not have made any ucs sets like the star was line. Or even the very expensive sets like the modular buildings.

Debatable.

Why should you feel compelled to abide by what others think 'is for kids'? Society is extremely ignorant in many respects. If anyone laughs at you for collecting LEGO - I guarantee that you could find something that would embarrass them equally in their life.

Play with whatever you want, collect with whatever you want... everyone here does and we're happy people. :classic:

The question could also be asked about model railways, model cars, model boats.....even stamp collecting.....simply Lego is like those other hobbies I just wrote about there......age is no limit, only one's imagination and/or interest are the limits.

I returned from the dark ages a month ago... There was always the itch, but i always thought legos are not for adults to enjoy... Well i finally gave in and started collecting the monster fighters series. On my last birthday my parents came over and my dad saw the vampire castle and haunted house. He told my mom: Hey look here, he has " Het Spookslot" here! (There's a amusement park called the Efteling in the netherlands, and it has a horror castle named like that)

I was afraid they would comment like: are you not too old to play with legos? But none of that, they just loved it! Now i think it's somewhat the same as collecting model trains, my uncle does that, so why can't i collect some lego? Oh and if you ever get asked why you still play with lego: I don't play with it, i collect it. And if that's not enough have them google some of the sets geared for AFOL's.

If LEGO is only for kids, then there are a lot of "old" kids in his world. Recently we had a 60th birthday party for my sister-in-law. It was mainly family and friends. Her age should give you an idea of my age and the age of most of the attendees. My wife wanted to show them what we did with my "studio" (LEGO room). We showed them the new built-in cabints and desk and shelves (a pretty extensive remodel), but all the wanted to look at was the LEGO. The were amazed, they kept saying "wow, this is LEGO?" and "you nailed that chapel, I've been there."

LEGO may be a toy, but I consider it the "Ultimate reuseable art medium". So no matter wheither you use LEGO to express you artistic side, or just play, LEGO has something for all ages, 3 to 103 (or more). I plan to make LEGO my main hobby/artistic exercise well into my retirement (comming soon, very soon).

People who say LEGO is just for kids may just be uncertain about their own maturity.

Keep on building (and playing with if you want).

Andy D

You've gotta be joking, what kind of question is that lol. Stuff what other people think, as long as you like it thats all that matters and I think Im actually getting a few of my friends hooked after they have seen my collection :laugh::classic:

Lego is for anyone who enjoys it. The only age limitation to Lego I can see is 3 years-old and under.

To those who would tell me that "you're too old to play with Lego", I simply reply, "your maturity is overrated." And then continue on my merry little way with purchasing whatever Lego I was intending to buy! :tongue:

As said above don't let other people put you off, if they think it's childish then let them. lego is a fantastic construction toy it is good with maths archeture and a whole lot of other things.