Artifex

What set should/will replace the MMV?

Now that the MMV is retired, what set do you think should replace it? A mix of civilizan houses and shops? An inn and a blacksmith? What's your guess? What's your bet?

I'm really out of ideas right now... But a big set with at least two buildings and lots of minifigures (especially civilians!) should be the way to go. in a way, the winter village seems to be going in the right direction with "civilian buildings" for the City theme. Well, who knows... I hope it will be something at least as espectacular as the MMV.

What's your guess?

While writing my post, I thought about that. But I'm not sure. It doesn't scream CIVILIAN the same way the MMV did.

MMV and Kingodm's joust were their respective theme's tombstones. While I hope such another great set will come, I wish it won't be anytime soon. On the civilian side, Kingdoms had 7189: Mill Village Raid, so there's still hope Lego willl come up with something similar.

As far as I'm aware, each D2C set essentially replaces the previous one, even though they are available longer.

I'd love to see more medieval civilian sets though.

For me, tihis was kind of succesor. Ok, its not d2c, but it follows the same principle as MMV:

7189-1.jpg

Kingdoms Joust, Mill Village Raid... Some strong competitors to the place of the MMV.

I think we are yet to see the "official" MMV successor. It was D2C, yes, but I don't think it was as linked to a theme as the Kingdoms Joust, for example. The Joust just screams "LKingdos Lion Knights!". I know there were soldiers in the MMV, but no "faction buildings".

I don't know... Maybe it's just wishful thinking of my part. Oh, wel... *sigh*

I thought the Kingdom's Joust set replaced it.

I don't think so. I see Kingdom's Joust as a part of the kingdom series, but I see MMV as a separate set, even though it's classified as a part of the Castle series...

What I would like to see are like 4 to 7 ''small'' sets, with just 1 house and some minifigs each. That way you could combine the houses you like to make your own village and I would rather buy 4 sets costing $30 each than 1 big set costing $100

We need a LOTR Village of Bree/Prancing Pony set as the successor to the 10193!

LOTR%20Bree.JPG?width=600

Edited by SheepEater

I know there were soldiers in the MMV, but no "faction buildings".

Well, the tavern had a crown logo – hard to make civilian buildings much more faction-y. On the other hand of course the whole set was quite far removed from the fantastic nature of the Castle 2007-2009 and practically it was, stylistically speaking, a Kingdoms set in all but release schedule.

But as long as there's no officially designated "Medieval Village" line or "Castle D2C" line or what ever there's no definite answer either. Kingdoms Joust is obviously MMV's successor in the sense that it was the next medieval D2C set of the next Castle theme. But if the rumours that Joust is not going to be on the shelves much longer are true then Joust has mostly been sold concurrently with MMV and in that sense it wouldn't really be a successor. Just a sadly short-lived sibling.

As much as I like MMV and the theme of civilian medieval scenery (MVR was awesome set too!), I hope Lego designers won't let themselves be restricted to that formula. I want another pair of MMV-compatible houses, but I also want a high elven marble palace and a proper enclosed tower house and a dozen other things.

Really broadly speaking even The Tower of Orthanc, licenced product though it is, could be seen as part of the same chain of sets as MMV and KJ.

I would like to see a Medieval siege set with a proper attempt at a siege tower, catapult, ballista, mantlet, battering ram and maybe even a mine. It can come with a section of castle wall ala Helm's Deep to smash/pound/collapse. That would be a nice alternative to all the <insert that tiresome argument> examples of this stuff that seem to make their way into system sets.

Otherwise I guess another civilian set would be ok - maybe a travelling troupe of performers with jugglers, acrobats, dwarf, musicians, dancing bear etc in a village square?

Of course, a dream set would be a gladitorial arena or Roman legionarre camp but it seems unlikely we'll see this sort of thing unless we get a theme from the classical era.

I would not be surprised if the next detailed D2C set to fill that slot is a Pirate theme one. They snuck out that little Pirate fig set this week. And we have long known that there was a nice but unknown ship shown way in the back of that Lego design office picture from last year.

Although I would not rule out a civilian'ish Castle type set. MMV did well. The Hobbit's Bag End set remains one of the strongest sellers of that line. Maybe some sort of Medieval fair?

If I had my say, the next big medieval set would be something like a CC house, perhaps with its back against a detailed city wall.

Considering the age target group of the present castle line, that is sadly not very likely :wink:

Considering the age target group of the present castle line, that is sadly not very likely :wink:

Well both the MMV and Kingdoms Joust are quite complicated builds despite the lines they came from being generally for the core younger audiences, so I don't think that will be an issue (even if the current Castle line seems even more simplified than those lines).

If I had my say, the next big medieval set would be something like a CC house, perhaps with its back against a detailed city wall.

That would be really neat! I'd love to see a village/fortress cross over set. It'd be a great addition to the previous ones.

I would love anything that has good parts, haha. I actually love the new Lion knights, they have a great design, apart from the slightly simple lion, so if it featured some of those I wouldn't mind. I would otherwise hope for a civilian set with neither blacksmith nor inn/tavern, because we already have that... Since I never managed to get the Village Raid set, I would love a similar themed set, with goats and chickens etc. Or perhaps a docks set? Wouldn't it be cool with some medieval ship and a harbour with a wharf?

Edited by Sigolf Brimabane

How about giving the Medieval textile industry its due? We could have a woad works with a big ox-driven grinding wheel, carts filled with woad, weld and madder, a dye house with vats and drying racks and a small stable of sheep waiting to be shorn. Then bundle that with the village weaver with a spinning wheel and a loom or two. It's a good excuse for lots of figures and animals (oxen, horses, sheep, sheep dog) and adds an essential civilian aspect of any medieval town (even if the woad works was usually relegated to the most remote part of town because, I'm told, boiling woad smelled awful).