Sign in to follow this  
jimmynick

[MOC] Mission San Luis de Las Casas

Hello everybody! I've always wanted to make a Spanish Mission and recently some inspiration came to me and I finally made one!

I call it the Mission San Luis de Las Casas after Bartolome (who lived in Mexico, but I don't really care). My main concern is that the roof of the central chapel is too high; if anyone can opine and tell me what they think about it, I'd really appreciate it.

9608947907_1a57b0367d_z.jpg

9612182594_d6a12c4989_z.jpg

As always, see more on Flickr.

Thanks for reading!

It's going to be a largish structure, so I don't think the chapel roof is too high, but if you're concerned you may wish to consider raising the roof line of the two side-wings - they're five high at the lowest and seven high at their tallest. They could easily come up a row or two and still give you the differentiation you want.

Have you thought about using the roof technique of the Modular Palace Theatre with the 1x1 Round (part 3062)? That could look spectacular against the white walls - and give you the colour variations you going to need - and the other thing maybe to grunge it up a bit with decaying plaster and cracks and missing bits dotted around.

Good luck with it and keep us posted with your progress.

Thanks for your suggestion, eurotrash! I've included it in an updated version, with a picture below. Raising the roof allowed me to include proper windows on the sides of the Mission.

When I was designing the Mission, I thought about doing the roof like the Palace Cinema, but that's rather parts-intensive, and I wanted this build to be fairly simple with a sort of classic "Western" or "Classic Town" feel, even though this is, of course, fairly large in comparison to those sets. The roof here is tilted using hinges, so it's very simple, and I've since got rid of the pebbles and things I put on top - those took away from the clean style I wanted.

Other features of the update include:

• Proper roofs on the towers;
  • Doors into the towers from the cloister;
  • Complete modularity! The towers are independent of the hallway are independent of the church. An extra layout is shown at the bottom.

9619127372_0a1294f0f1_z.jpg

And rearranged:

9619176162_7e500dcde1_z.jpg

Thanks again for reading!

I would like to see this in Lego from.

Ditto!

I like the cloisters of that alternate arrangement and you definitely need to make it with hinges so it can become a Transformer Mission!

Wow, I really hope you're going to build this with real Lego :) This would look great in a western setting with bandits using the mission as their headquarters! Not a follower of the Cross myself, but some churches are beautiful :)