Everytime I see a build with the buggy motors I get sad that they are ~$50/ea in the USA :( I would love to build a 2 speed rock buggy with 4 of them.

There are several for around $30 USD/ea. listed in the USA.

Brickshelf must have been down temporarily. Here's the link :classic:

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=533448

And If you want extreme performance then Hobby RC is for you but the hobby requires quite a lot of money. If you're looking for the building experience and ability to make whatever you want then Lego is for you. With this build I am creating something in between :sweet:As for buggy motors, in the past I spotted, on two different occasions, a buggy motor for less than $30 on BL, so I got them. The 3rd and recently 4th were more expensive, up to $45, but I needed them so I got them anyway. As for an update on the car, parts have yet to arrive from Germany but I've been experimenting so the build will be smooth and simple when I finally get the parts. Wheelbase will definitely be shorter, but I'm not sure by how much.

Edited by z3_2drive

None of these pictures are loading, and neither is brickshelf.

It'd be great to actually be able see this WIP.

I see them fine and link works for me :sceptic:

Parts arrived a couple days ago :sweet: now experimenting with ideas. 8880 suspension is awesome except for one thing: the white ring hub is easily bendable so it's hard to make a sturdy connection to the chassis (part where steering links connect to)

6540a.gif?0<this part of the ring hub

Edited by z3_2drive

Yes it is very soft, I never use em because of that reason. I think a great hub is the small yellow and black one, it's great not sure how you put drive through it though...

Ok, so after many attempts of making a rally style/long travel suspension with 8880 parts I came to a conclusion that the ring hubs were too soft. Then I tried it with the 42000 type hubs and then the CV joint became the weak-point so after many tries I just scrapped the idea :grin: I decided to make a V2 of my original wide, low, and short travel suspension and upgraded it in every aspect :devil: Listing the improvements:

• stronger suspension with more bracing and well-thought out design
  • stronger driveshafts using the old style red u-joints (honestly don't understand why they dropped this part)
  • wider as a result of longer u-joints
  • no parts that can slide out under high stress/vibration at top speed
  • now with sway-bars/anti-roll bars. They don't add too much stiffness in corners but it definitely helps and is a nice touch :wink:
  • No more solid axle=better cornering control, less stress on the whole system, driveshafts in particular.

Here are the photos (I am using the Losi Rock Claw tires)

dscn2118.jpg

dscn2117.jpg

dscn2116.jpg

dscn2121.jpg

dscn2122.jpg

demonstrating the swaybar:

dscn2123.jpg

dscn2124.jpg

dscn2119.jpg

dscn2120.jpg

Underside shot (oddly less interesting than the top :tongue:):

dscn2125.jpg

Hope you guys like it! feel free to comment/critique and wish me luck with the front!

Edited by z3_2drive

Those tyres look like the real deal :wub: I like the sway bar, just like the real thing! I want some of those red u joints now... But my partner has forbidden me getting anymore Lego and ya I agree with her. Anyway what is the weight of those tyres compared with Lego 94.8x44R's?

Those tyres look like the real deal :wub: I like the sway bar, just like the real thing! I want some of those red u joints now... But my partner has forbidden me getting anymore Lego and ya I agree with her. Anyway what is the weight of those tyres compared with Lego 94.8x44R's?

Just measured, I got: Wheel+Lego 94.8x44r=57 grams and Wheel+Losi Rock Claws=63 grams :classic:

Ok, it is finished, and I believe this is the most capable vehicle I have ever built...sadly I can't take good pics till tomorrow, but I'm so happy I had to blurt it out :wub: No caster, but has slight negative camber and ackerman geometry :thumbup: about a video...we'll have to wait and see :tongue: