Sign in to follow this  
burlogh

Troll Dreadbringer

My favorite thing about this piece is how the siege tower, or mobile fortress rather, is pulled by two triceratops. Using one dinosaur alone as a beast of burden really communicates a sense of heaviness and weight to its load and using two of them only adds to sense of epic scale and the indomitable might of this rolling death machine.

I like it! Did you get your inspiration for the weels from the weel set? and for the tower from the smaller tower set?

Epic siege weapon indeed, impressive scale and well built! The landscape is also excellent :classic:

However, I can't help but wondering why they put the drawbridge so low...?

Spectacular. Now you just need to build an appropriately sized castle for them to attack. :tongue:

That would be mind meltingly amazing, but probably somewhere in between 'far too expensive to be practical' and 'physically impossible'. :laugh:

Edited by Kadabra

I don't want to jump on the bandwagon here (yes I just said that) but this is incredible. The sheer size is something to marvel, the wheels must be my favorite part, and oh I can't express how much I wish this was an actual set. I would totally buy this, not only does it look good, but it terrorizes the world while doing so. Good luck in the contest. However I don't see why you'd need it. :classic:

Thanks for the comments!

I like it! Did you get your inspiration for the weels from the weel set? and for the tower from the smaller tower set?

I was inpired by 7041 Troll Battle Wheel. I really love that set but every time my little son started to play it ended in parts because the "handle" is too fragile and suspension of the wheels is weak too. And poor trolls always wanted to fall down from the small board :)

However, I can't help but wondering why they put the drawbridge so low...?

It is on approx. 20 bricks above the ground. The next possible height would be 29 and it was too high.

Btw I forgot to take a photo about the drawbridge while it is closed :(

thats is epic, how long did it take to you build it?

I've started immediately as Mark launched his competition. I only had enough bricks for one side so I made a first version to check the possible design. First WIP photo was taken 29th July. Put some (5 or 6) BL orders to resupply (60 * brackets, 20 * 1*4 bricks stud on sides, 30 * black hinges, 50 * log bricks, 50 * specked blackwing ended bricks, 100 * 1*6 support pillars) then started to rebuild. I noticed the original height was unproportional so rebuilt it again (third time). Meanhwhile started to built the landscape, but ran out of green bricks too. It was the point when I asked some duplo from my little son :) A great guy from a hungarian LEGO community went to the PAB wall and filled a cup with green plates then sent it to me. On 11st August the base was 60% complete and when the bricks arrived I finished it. The last WIP photo was taken on 23rd August but it was very different, the weeping willow wasn't there, there was only one triceratops and some foliage was on other place too. I've finished it on 26th August then I faced with my largets fear: how to take a photo... After 1,5-2 hours of hopeless trying I got the solution. My awesome wife didn't even have complained when I told her the only one background big enough for this MOC is the back of the carpet in our living room, she helped me to move the couch and turn the carpet at the middle of the night:

9613176455_f83aaa9a23_n.jpg

Man, so many comments I agree with! Absolutely love the mix of dinosaurs, orcs, trolls and wargs. They all make for a very fearsome foe!

Thanks for your experience sharing.

Not many people like to talk about their difficulties during MOC, but you don't mind sharing (even the photo taking portion)

Though I usually disassemble my MOCs after a few days or weeks, the Dreadbringer is still alive. Last month I went to an exhibition with it and built a small diorama.

13920568679_e6d5bc97ba_c.jpg

13920613220_fa76fb7178_c.jpg

13920576997_902e73690f_c.jpg

13920581817_7d2abfc18e_c.jpg

14107655594_00b323c17d_c.jpg

13920605747_071c3c53e3_c.jpg

Even only the wheels are enough for a standing applause!

Also thanks for sharing the "making of..." photos. They are a great source for learning more about photographing the scenes.

Great work!

:classic: