SkaForHire

Book II - Kaliphlin: Guild sign-up and Discussion

Looking great John, you're making me curious...

@Kai NRG I just noticed that knife-holder: really cool, great part usage!

@LittleJohn - can't wait to see the whole thing!

1 hour ago, TitusV said:

@Kai NRG I just noticed that knife-holder: really cool, great part usage!

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, legoman19892 said:

Is the Kaliphlin Guild Flickr group still running?

There's not really any discussion going on in it (hasn't been for years, that I know of), but Kaliphlin members still add their creations sometimes.  Here's a link to it, for ease of reference.

Hello Kaliphlins!

It's been a long time!  I think it's been over two years since I was active on EB.  My son went through an all-enveloping Minecraft phase for the past two years, so we haven't been building with LEGO much at all. However his interest has been recently re-kindled, and we're starting to clamp down more on screen time, so I think we'll be spending more time with LEGO going forward. Plus I've switched jobs -- the new one is much more relaxed. At the old job, my desk was right out in the open, which made it hard to check EB on the job.  I don't think I'll have much time for epic builds, but hope to get in some small ones on a more regular basis.

What's going on in Kaliphlin and GoH?  I suppose I have to read the challenges and catch up.  Anyone want to give me the 30-second overview of what has happened since spring 2015? Or point me at relevant threads?  Good to see that a lot of the old crew is still around, and looking forward to getting to know the new members.

It seems like this thread is not as active as it used to be, or at least since April (I've only read back that far).  Is GoH still going strong?

-- Gex / NiceMarmot

Hey NiceMarmot, so glad to see you around again! :excited: Kaliphlin has been fairly quiet lately (unfortunately), but GoH as a whole has been quite busy.

The final challenge of book 2 ended recently, and the voting for category C of it is still currently open.

There is currently a challenge going on celebrating 5 years of the Guilds, with 3 categories. The deadline is November 9th, so still a bit of time to get an entry (or more than one) in!

I'm sure there is lots I'm forgetting that has happened since spring of 2015, but those are a few of the more recent events. Again, glad to see you back! :classic:

Welcome back NM!  As LJ says, things have been rather quiet in Kaliphlin particularly.  I think he hit the main points of what's going on right now - we've just seen the wrap-up of the Book 2 Story arc, so this is a great time to get back involved!

The biggest thing for Kaliphlin since 2015 was the Kaliphlin Challenge, where we were split into three groups between the High Council (status quo), Ulandus (a new island to the south, which totally lost the war, so is pretty much consigned to oblivion I think - though, actually, we did about as well as the High Council in the challenge, but we aren't interested in Ulandus per se, we're just against the Desert King, so Ulandus and the High Council have basically merged as the High Council), and the Desert King (who pretty much won, but does not have grassroots support from actual Kaliphlin guild members - i.e., I'm totally against the DK! :laugh: ).  After the challenge a few Kaliphlin member got together and did a collab showing continued resistance to the Desert King, and the union of Ulandus and the High Council.  So right now Kaliphlin is sort of in a post-war state with the Desert King trying to keep the hold he won and the High Council still resisting him to a degree.  But both sides got a little derailed with Challenge V (the final challenge) which took place in Nocturnus.  I didn't quite get it straight as to which side the Desert King was supporting.  I support the opposite one, anyhow. :tongue:  The Desert King, by the way, is a resuscitated mummy.  Very Nocturnian-esque.  Not my idea of Kaliphlin.

If you want to see some of the best builds (not just since 2015, but since the beginning) I compiled a few posters a while ago.

Great to see you here again NM! As you can read above there is a fairly urgent need for the maps to be updated with the canon post Book II :wink:

(I'm fairly inactive these days due to a general lack of time in general and particularly my collection being packed in boxes in preparation for moving soon...)

Gideon, good to hear from you.  Judging by the inactivity in this thread, you're not the only one running short of time.

I can update the maps over the next few weeks. I'm still reading through the various book II challenges, trying to catch up.  If you (or anyone else) think of anything obvious that needs to be updated on the maps, let me know. I (somewhere) have maps of Ulandus that I did for Ska back when the Kali challenge was being launched...

There's a lot to read, and it's hard to find it all. It would be a lot better if someone had edited all the challenge, results, and prelude posts so they contained links to the previous post in the storyline and the next post in the storyline. That would have made it a lot easier to read. If someone wants to grant me editing power for a few days, I'd be happy to do it, if the mods don't have time.

I'm still trying to hunt down some missing pieces in my understanding of what happened. Like where does al-Esterbroke figure into it all?  Who are the Algus?

@NiceMarmot

I forget what al-Esterbrooke did, personally, but the Algus were invaders from the Far North that Spread across Mitgardia and into the other guilds. It took them a while to spread throughout Mitgardia (I believe Ecc told that story) and then we had a contest where they moved beyond Mitgardia. The Algus ended up losing (Everyone was fighting them, so of course they did :laugh:) and I believe they've been driven pretty far North in Mitgardia if not completely out of the Guild. 

Al Easterbroke?  Oh, I remember that name... but not much else. :laugh:  I believe it just kind of fizzled out.  We definitely have been sadly disorganized with regards to making things easy to catch up on...

I'm still around, but haven't built for GOH for a while. BOBS has much of my focus, but I hope to finally finish Quest for the Egg. It won't be the grand build I had planned originally. Once that is done, I may try to pick up other story threads down the road.

Welcome back, NiceMarmot! It's been quite some time!

I have to admit, the story hasn't gotten any easier, but Kai and LJ did a good wrap-up! :thumbup:

On 8/14/2017 at 9:34 AM, Kai NRG said:

I didn't quite get it straight as to which side the Desert King was supporting.

He was against the Spire, as he promised his supporters.

On 8/16/2017 at 4:07 PM, NiceMarmot said:

al-Esterbroke

There was the establishment of Gearsport there, but I don't think anything else happened. The DK never followed through and gave the land away either. Whoever plays that guy is really slacking.

Good to see you back NM!

@NiceMarmot

Nice to see you resurrecting! Since the Kali Civil War, I have vanished from GoH as well, but now I discovered the 5 years celebration challenge, I might do some stuff for GoH again. My main focus is mostly in BoBs lately, the pirate-version of GoH.

Not sure what else I'll do beside that challenge, as Stedor is a finished chapter for me (I tore the whole city down to start Trador in the BoBs universe)

5 hours ago, Maxim I said:

@NiceMarmot

Nice to see you resurrecting! Since the Kali Civil War, I have vanished from GoH as well, but now I discovered the 5 years celebration challenge, I might do some stuff for GoH again. My main focus is mostly in BoBs lately, the pirate-version of GoH.

Not sure what else I'll do beside that challenge, as Stedor is a finished chapter for me (I tore the whole city down to start Trador in the BoBs universe)

Funny that I must be the one to welcome you back, Maxim! 

Welcome back, Maxim!

There, now an Avalonian, a Mitgardian and a Nocty have welcomed you back before a Kaliphlinite came to do so! :laugh:

Welcome back, Maxim, glad to see you around again! Looking forward to your builds for the five year anniversary challenge :classic:

@Exetrius And a Kaliphlinite now completes the welcome :laugh: Things have been rather busy for me lately, or else I would have gladly welcomed him sooner :wink:

Sigfig presentation

Amalthea Dhamm Guilds of Historica

Amalthea Dahmm

As a child in a Mitgardian warrior clan Amalthea was taught from her early years to handle both spear and sword. Although she decided to leave the clan and their ancient traditions at an age of twelve, she stayed with her family another ten years. Most because here mother that lay crippled in bed awaiting a slow death, but also for her joy of practicing her fighting skills.
But she got more and more eager to travel south.

When she finally managed to leave her family she began a long journey trough the barren wilderness, mountains and forests to Avalonia. Her goal was simple; put together a clan of her own to work as mercenaries with no one to rule her again.

After a year seeking allies in the grasslands around Albion she finally found a crew of retired soldiers, in exile from Kaliphlin since the civil wars. After some hours of convincing, and more than a couple bottles of wine, they all agreed to follow Amalthea back to Kaliphlin, with their muscles for hire.

Been hanging around in GoH for over a year now, and finally got time for some building.

Feels great to be here!

Edited by skitkid