SkaForHire

Book II - Kaliphlin: Guild sign-up and Discussion

Hey, you're part of the Mitgardian action pal!

Yes, and great action at that! But surely it's not wrong for me to look on the other side of the fence every now and then?

Yes, and great action at that! But surely it's not wrong for me to look on the other side of the fence every now and then?

If you were Kaliphlin, this would be acceptable behaviour. But we Northerners are actually rather stubborn, ignorant and prefer to stick to ourselves! :wink:

It's dangerous though. The grass is always greener on the other side...

Or the sand is always sandier. And sometimes the snow is whiter. Or the mountains are... rockier... :tongue:

...But we Northerners are actually rather stubborn, ignorant and prefer to stick to ourselves! :wink:

So true!

You have missed your calling. Don't worry, so have 3/4ths of the Mitgardians.

If you were Kaliphlin, this would be acceptable behaviour. But we Northerners are actually rather stubborn, ignorant and prefer to stick to ourselves! :wink:

Well, then I will stubbornly NOT stick to myself. How does that fit?

You have missed your calling. Don't worry, so have 3/4ths of the Mitgardians.

Watch out! I said I'd be looking, not moving! :devil:

Hey now! Them's fightin' words!

Oh. You'd rather be stubborn, ignorant and stick to yourself?

Then bravo. You made it into the 1/4 ideal Mitgardians! :tongue:

:laugh:

...Watch out! I said I'd be looking, not moving! :devil:

Poor you... :grin:

Wasn't it tantalizing?

Poor you... :grin:

Wasn't it tantalizing?

Nah, I'd rather have a mouth full of snow over a mouth full of sand any day.

Lets get the discussion rolling, and Sultan's Gate opened :excited:

Sounds like a great idea! :classic:

I've just dug deep on the threads to find the images for inspiration, so they are easier to access for everyone, with the Aragón post here, and Gideon's later post here. I'd also like to add this image of the Loarre castle I found while looking for more Aragón pictures,

I'd also like to add this image of the Loarre castle I found while looking for more Aragón pictures.

Thanks for the picture! (and for making me Google Loarre castle and finding more inspiration :classic:). I am inclined to think that an ancient citadel (maybe still partly ruined?) could be a great addition to Sultan's Gate, I still think however that the actual gate fort should be the most important defensive structure. But maybe they are the same building?

Anyway, should we make a list of claims for what we intend to build (like the Albion CB), or should we just start building and let there for example be different renditions of the main gatehouse?

When we get going, I think we should make a separate topic for Sultan's Gate with all information an index of the builds (I could create the topic and maintain the index) similar to the Albion index.

Thanks for all your kind words guys. Don't worry, I will still have a Lego budget for this year!

Lord Butters, I forgot to mention the Pharaoh's Quest theme which was excellent for tan parts and (dare I say it?) stickers.

Yay for Sultan's Gate.! Do we have any volunteers to map out the plots, or shall we just throw it all together? I have no strong views, I'll just build whatever amuses me as usual.

:classic:

Anyway, should we make a list of claims for what we intend to build (like the Albion CB), or should we just start building and let there for example be different renditions of the main gatehouse?

I guess it's best to let Erynlasgalen decide, as she's willing to run it.

But suggestions can't hurt! :P I don't think we need something as complex and structured as the community castle build, but we could make a non-comprehensive list of suggestions for builds. And definitely agree with having an index.

Thanks for all your kind words guys. Don't worry, I will still have a Lego budget for this year!

Lord Butters, I forgot to mention the Pharaoh's Quest theme which was excellent for tan parts and (dare I say it?) stickers.

Yay for Sultan's Gate.! Do we have any volunteers to map out the plots, or shall we just throw it all together? I have no strong views, I'll just build whatever amuses me as usual.

:classic:

It's funny you mention stickers. I was really impressed with the woid effect stickers that came with Laketown. I intend to acquire some more. I also forgot that Pharoahs ever existed! I will have a look.

If you have enough free time to get things rolling on this I think you should probably be the one to set it all up (thread and stuff) especially as you're willing to donate prizes (really generous of you there). Looks good right now, I do think though that given the random parts pack giveaway you should reserve the right to DQ any entries that really don't show much time put into them. Is there going to be a size limit? I wouldn't think a map is needed especially since Kali towns don't strike me (for the most part) as highly organized... especially a settlement like this which I would think would sort of have expanded over the years - and given your description,

As a member of the council (I am right?) I would say judging would probably be preferable for the set. Or voting. (Yeah, what else is there.) I'd be willing to judge, as long as the deadline was from June-July (or late May) I would have the internet access & time.

For size limits I was thinking 8X8 to unlimited to include everyone, and there would be two ways to get an entry. 8X8 - 32X32 would require two MOCS to get one entry, anything larger would count as one entry. MOCs can be DQ and asked to be improved in order to qualify for the entry, since the GoH goal is to improve your building skills after all. A MOC of a minifigure holding a brick with the caption "Bob is making a house" is not going to cut it for Kaliphlin standards, lol.

I think popular vote would be a good choice for the set, since that is the usual standard around here. Maybe everyone can pick their one favorite MOC from the project and we open voting up to pick the winner.

Thanks for the picture! (and for making me Google Loarre castle and finding more inspiration :classic:). I am inclined to think that an ancient citadel (maybe still partly ruined?) could be a great addition to Sultan's Gate, I still think however that the actual gate fort should be the most important defensive structure. But maybe they are the same building?

When we get going, I think we should make a separate topic for Sultan's Gate with all information an index of the builds (I could create the topic and maintain the index) similar to the Albion index.

Building the main gate would be a great first challenge for everyone and then from there build whatever suits your fancy. Who says that the town doesn't have some gates inside the town too?

The index sounds like a great idea for the MOCs, how about I let you know when I make the main community topic for it and you can go in and reserve one of the top replies to keep the index in? That way everything would be contained in the one thread for everyone to find easily and you would have access to edit it as you have time.

Maybe in true Kaliphlin fashion we should build what we please without plotting out a Map and then at the end someone can volunteer to put one together with all the MOCs on it? That way the city really could just evolve organically, and no one is pressured to sign up for something and just build what inspires them. If we end up with ten blacksmiths, well we will just have blacksmith alley in the city :)

If you know what you want to make, I see no problem in giving everyone the heads-up on what you are planning.

I've sent off to see what I need to do it get permission for the prizes, so once i have that I can get the main thread put up. When do we want to officially start? Would February 1st be a good date?

Assuming I get approval for the prizes, how long do you think we should run that for? I was thinking Sultan's gate would be an ongoing project, but the prizes should have an end date, I was thinking the end of Summer around August? It sounds like a long time away, but with doing the main challenges I know the months fly by, lol. With everyone really busy right now too, that would give everyone plenty of time to build multiple MOCs if they want to join in.

I agree that we should not make a map first, we should just get started building and see how this town evolves in a true Kaliphlin manner :classic:

The community build should probably be open-ended, and having 6-8 months for the first challenge sounds like a good idea to fill out empty time between challenge 1 and 2 and potentially between challenge 2 and 3.

I like the idea that building the main gate should be the first challenge to get the whole community build started. Then popular vote would decide which entry is the true one i assume?

The drawback of this approach is that only one of the MOCs would actually be "canon", and other the other MOCing hasn't fleshed out the town. But as the gate fort really is the centerpiece of this town, I don't see any other fair approach to decide who gets to build it.

Putting the index in a second post or something like that sounds good to me, or if you feel up to keeping it up to date (with the contributions posted in the thread) just reserve a section in the first topic. I only volunteered to this because I feel some responsibility to put some time in running the community build when I have been lobbying for the CB in the first place :wink:

I have some ideas for how the town wall should look, I might be able to build a suggestion or three of how it could look and post it here. For the sake of making the different sections of the wall looking like they should fit together I think we could have a "connector solution" with a couple of technic bricks to give the impression to viewers that the wall sections fit together (and if by any chance some Kaliphlinites end up going to the same convention we could join pieces together).

Kai, quit throwing stuff I said back in my face! :classic: I still have to put up the voting thread for the last contest. We had so few entries, I think almost everyone will win one of the prizes though.

Eryn, you can definitely run point if you have the time. I think what you have come up with is perfect. In Kaliphlin fashion, we should probably not claim something, as I am sure there would be multiple rivals in the town building the same kind of building. (So we have 14 camel day care centers, we also have the best Camel Day Care prices in all the land!) I don't know what happened to DM, but I am willing to bet it has to do with the new GF, since that was one of the last post he made. hahaha. I don't think he would mind you running point on this.

...I think popular vote would be a good choice for the set, since that is the usual standard around here. Maybe everyone can pick their one favorite MOC from the project and we open voting up to pick the winner...

That sounds good. By everyone I'm assuming you mean the Kali Council members?

Building the main gate would be a great first challenge for everyone and then from there build whatever suits your fancy. Who says that the town doesn't have some gates inside the town too?

So everyone has to build one main gate (then I guess we'd vote on that to see which one is official), and after that they can build what they like?

I've sent off to see what I need to do it get permission for the prizes, so once i have that I can get the main thread put up. When do we want to officially start? Would February 1st be a good date?

...the prizes should have an end date, I was thinking the end of Summer around August? It sounds like a long time away, but with doing the main challenges I know the months fly by, lol. With everyone really busy right now too, that would give everyone plenty of time to build multiple MOCs if they want to join in.

Those dates sound great!

Kai, quit throwing stuff I said back in my face! :classic: I still have to put up the voting thread for the last contest. We had so few entries, I think almost everyone will win one of the prizes though...

:laugh: I had actually forgotten all about it, but I was just browsing over the first few pages and came across it.

Introducing Drake Kantor, legitimate business man, explorer, and acquirer of rare items. Born in Varlyrio, to a Blacksmith and the Avalonian daughter of an Alchemist, Drake was raised in the business of trade. Seeking greater fortunes than what his family business could supply, he left his family in the search of wealth. hearing of the stories of great riches in Kaliphlin he headed to the region.

12073918555_db1c0d4e98.jpg

Kantor is a ruthless trader, often willing to bend or break the laws for profit. Distrusting of others, he has a policy of shoot first, and run quickly at the first sign of trouble/or suspicion. However, if the situation calls for it (such as a drunken card game gone wrong) he is happy to start swinging his fists or sword. While seemingly a greedy, sneaky character, he does have some more humane traits. A speaker of several languages, and a seasoned traveler, he holds no grudges or prejudices against others. Also, if you can manage to gain his trust, you will have a loyal friend for eternity. He also follows the family motto "Always stay true to your promises". As a result, he is the go to guy for many merchants and traders in Kaliphlin, as he can be relied upon to return with the goods.

12074236843_0e2b7b2bd2.jpg

I hope to acquire a few more tan tiles and bricks to start building some MOC's to show his story. He is based on and heavily influenced by lovable rogues such as Han Solo, Jack Burton and Indiana Jones.

Welcome to Kaliphlin Drake Kantor!

Very good introduction with an interesting backstory :classic:

Welcome Drake Kantor. This is a great time to be Kaliphlin. A grand community build, hopefully with prizes, has many a Kaliphlin citizen stricken with home-guild fervor.

On the issue of the main gate, since this town is on a major trade route, it could have many gates. What we need to determine is which one is the primary trade route gate. This should include trade goods going to and coming from Nocturnus.

My take on Sultan's Gate is that the town has been built over centuries, and expanded beyond a couple different walls. The original fort should be overlooking the cliff, and has been rebuilt several times. It is close enough to the Rakath Mountains that some of the material for the buildings could have come from there. Close enough for some wood, but also various stones. This could free us up from the sandstone look.

Remember, also there is an orc tribe living in the lands below Sultan's Gate.

Edited by gedren_y

On a different note, is Sultans Gate a large rich city? I know to look at Aragon for inspiration.

I would think that vast riches passes through the city, but not necessarily that those riches stay there (as in ending up in luxurious palaces of merchant princes).