...but there are hazards as my cats often steal pieces!

And fish?! :tongue:

There are so many great workspaces here, I thought I would add mine. I published some photos back in 2013 in the General LEGO Discussion Area then, but I have never published anything here.

Here goes...

I got tired of the mish-mash of tables and such that I had in my LEGO studio and I convinced my wife to let me put some built-ins in the room for a building space as well as a storage and display space.

Here is my main building space, plenty of room to build and some on the table space for 2 Akro Mills drawer units for more common parts.

25276411899_929679c7b2_c.jpgWorkspace1 by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

Here is a view of my on cabinet display space and floating shelves. I don’t display much, I either rotate models from the closet or just disassemble and put parts in stock.

25551321231_913e16bc08_c.jpgWorkspace2 by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

Here is a view showing one of my storage spaces. I have 5 under cabinet storage spaces for parts and in the one under the desk I put unopened sets.

25013483874_d53f34635f_c.jpgWorkspace3 by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

This is a view of the other side of the room, more display and storage space and a space for a TV that I use occasionally. The drawers on this side of the room are temporary storage for instruction books on the way to permanent storage in a uinti n the garage where I store more sets and seasonal items. Also I got tired of having a computer on my build desk so I got a lap-top an I store it and some accessories in the drawers as well.

25525304882_ca73cd0389_c.jpgWorkspace4 by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

I just finished disassembling a couple of sets yesterday, so now It’s off to go sort and store.

Andy D

That's a very nice setup! I would be a happy camper building in your room :thumbup:

I wish I had such a room like yours!

Edited by Jockos

@Jim and Jockos...

Thanks, I really find it an enjoyable inspirational area to work in. Now if I could just figure out a way to put an easy to assemble/disassemble a photography area.

Any ideas for a compact easy to assemble/disassemble photography area?

Andy D

Any ideas for a compact easy to assemble/disassemble photography area?

One of the cabinets can be easily transformed into a photography area. All you need is some PVC or Paper backdrop which can be attached to the wall (or to the bottom of one of the shelves, with Velcro).

And you would need one or two (cheap) studio lamps (facing upwards on a stand will do the trick).

Both the backdrop and lamps can be removed so you keep the room tidy.

Another option would be to buy a soft box, which you can put on your desk. This does take up a cubic meter to store it somewhere (unless you fold it).

One of the cabinets can be easily transformed into a photography area. All you need is some PVC or Paper backdrop which can be attached to the wall (or to the bottom of one of the shelves, with Velcro).

And you would need one or two (cheap) studio lamps (facing upwards on a stand will do the trick).

Both the backdrop and lamps can be removed so you keep the room tidy.

Another option would be to buy a soft box, which you can put on your desk. This does take up a cubic meter to store it somewhere (unless you fold it).

Thanks Jim. I have a small soft box (which is only usable for small items)...

Can you recommend a good larger, foldable soft box?

Also, what do you recommend for lamps. I have tried the hardware store clamp lights, but they seem to fall apart quite easily.

I am now ready to spend a little more, maybe $100 to $200 for reasonable photography equipment.

You are right, I like to keep my room tidy between (even during) projects.

Thanks,

Andy D

There's a generic topic about Photo Studios:

http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=102106

Not sure whether I mention the types of lamps I use, but I can look it up for you. They are pretty cheap (or affordable).

Yup, there's a link somewhere in the topic:

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As you can see, I only use two and maybe a single lamp would suffice. But I don't use a softbox. edit: light tent

I recommend you read the topic. It's quite interesting (imho).

I see you were the last one to respond in that topic :laugh:

There's a generic topic about Photo Studios:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=102106

Not sure whether I mention the types of lamps I use, but I can look it up for you. They are pretty cheap (or affordable).

Yup, there's a link somewhere in the topic:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00507HC9K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As you can see, I only use two and maybe a single lamp would suffice. But I don't use a softbox.

I recommend you read the topic. It's quite interesting (imho).

I see you were the last one to respond in that topic :laugh:

Whoops, I confused soft box with light tent.

I forgot about that topic, maybe I need to review it again. Thanks for reminding me.

Andy D

Whoops, I confused soft box with light tent.

I was mistaken too. Soft box is used to diffuse the light from the lamp.

Andy D. That looks like a really great place to while away the hours building.

Edited by grum64

Andy D. That looks like a really great place to while away the hours building.

Thanks, it is great! How is your space coming along?

Andy D

This is my current WIP. I cleaned up my counter an hour before these photos were taken. I moved my Legos from the floor to my counter!! My next step is to organize this all...

https://gyazo.com/8717bb9d07e33c6c756f464efa64a0fd

https://gyazo.com/4b26a70b9061d94a7ef6ef0aa0269edd

https://gyazo.com/a7db5471c0a6250e04765a0cfbed603b

https://gyazo.com/664c119573a754e3e71b8f2b5e9653db

Thanks, it is great! How is your space coming along?

Andy D

It's fine, in fact you've just reminded me to get some pics taken.

I didn't bother getting it insulated as we've had such a mild Winter. It gets nice & warm with the heater on for an hour before I go in.

Everyone with their clean desks, I'm ashamed to show mine because right now I'm building something... Even if I have a lot of desk space, I picked up two service desks for free when Future Shop closed

Edited by Buddy010702

Everyone with their clean desks, I'm ashamed to show mine because right now I'm building something... Even if I have a lot of desk space, I picked up two service desks for free when Future Shop closed

hahaha Thats how I felt... So then I did something a bout it!!

Believe me, my space is not always neat. During a build, or a major sort project my desk an counter look like an earthquake hit. But I make it a habit to get it neat between projects so I have a clean, neat and organized area to work in. I find starting with a neat workspace makes it easier to see what I am doing. That is one of the advantages of a separate room, I can just close door the for when it is messy, but I (and especially my wife) like to keep the room neat between projects.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

It's fine, in fact you've just reminded me to get some pics taken.

I didn't bother getting it insulated as we've had such a mild Winter. It gets nice & warm with the heater on for an hour before I go in.

Waiting for photos, I remember it started off quite nice, looking to see the completed project.

Andy D

I spent few days to sort some of my pieces and improvised a double story shelf on which I can put the sorting boxes.

Who says old bionicle cylinders and plastic cubs aint useful :sweet:

P1210806.JPG

On the top shelf, there are mostly beams, pins and axles sorted by size and shape.

P1210807.JPG

Going lower, there are mostly bigger elements like panels, piston elements, suspension parts and gears.

P1210808.JPG

And lastly on the floor there is a sliding box with wheels containing all the parts I havent sorted yet and parts that are too big to fit in the sorting trays:

P1210810.JPG

And to keep the shelf from accidentally toppling there are some beams wedged between the upper plank and the wall:

P1210809.JPG

I know it may not be the prettiest solution, but hey if its stupid and it works, its not stupid! :grin:

Edited by Zblj

@Zblj ... That looks like a great solution for a major sort project. I find it handy, in fact necessary to have lots of organized space for a sort project.

Sometimes I have to sort in stages.

I first do a rough sort to get like items together, then do a fine sort for each category to prepare to put away.

Sometimes I think is spend more time sorting and organizing than I do building. Hence my feeling that the LEGO hobby is more about sorting and organizing and storing than building. Buy, hey, it's all part of the hobby!

Just MHO, YMMV

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Waiting for photos, I remember it started off quite nice, looking to see the completed project.

Andy D

I too would like to post some pictures but it'll be a little while yet. I've nothing built other than my 8674, 8461 and a couple of Racers 1/17's. Empty shelves isn't, I think, a good look so I'd like a few more builds on them.

With that in mind I have todday started my 9396 Helicopter. Get that done and a couple more and I'll get the pictures taken.

Empty shelves isn't, I think, a good look so I'd like a few more builds on them.

We know the story behind your lack of sets. I would very well like to see the interior of your new shed, even though it's mostly empty space :wink:

Makes a nice reference picture to compare with one taken in about a year or two.

I spent few days to sort some of my pieces and improvised a double story shelf on which I can put the sorting boxes.

Who says old bionicle cylinders and plastic cubs aint useful :sweet:

I know it may not be the prettiest solution, but hey if its stupid and it works, its not stupid! :grin:

Exactly :laugh:

Indeed a nice way to use those Bionicle cups :thumbup: