8 minutes ago, Jim said:

Well, at least you do have to space in your rooms. The current setup is suboptimal, I do understand your predicament. But there is room for improvement. Overall, the available space seems to be sufficient.

@Seasider What's in the two big closets? (actually one big closet with two doors)

This one ?

52202465575_21b3334d70_b.jpg

Lego on top … Lego on the shelf, and Lego on the bottom (SW helmet collection) … and clothes squeezed in between. The other side is my partners side for clothes

2 minutes ago, Seasider said:

… and clothes squeezed in between. The other side is my partners side for clothes

Clothes. You need to talk priorities man :grin:

48 minutes ago, Jim said:

Let's change the topic to IKEA General Discussion :laugh:

What a good idea :laugh:

I use some IKEA in my setup too:     This and this between a custom  wood bench.     The big one is rotated 90 degrees to fit in my small room.

kallax-shelving-unit-white__0644757_pe70kallax-shelving-unit-white__0644546_pe70

(It is a big mess so no photos.)

Made a new post here: 

But since it has to do with my Lego room thought I would put a link here as well.  Lego rooms are fun!  I am using mine more like a canvas, my last two projects have actually been build right into the walls!

514_resized20220612_124008

Thanks @Jim for putting stuff in the appropriate place, I took out my METOD setup from the hidden spoiler tag as it fits better here :grin: I think the other side of the room also deserves a little attention as I get asked about it frequently, here are the details of the Billy display cabinet from my videos:

1 hour ago, thekoRngear said:

One thing always amuses me as to why the Defender does not get to show up on RB's showcase 😄

Very simple - It's never fully assembled as I always use it to demonstrate the different challenges of the drive train :grin: I actually have 2 chassis assembled for this video, and one that is about ~70% built, but that is waiting for a full disassembly :) 

On 7/8/2022 at 7:46 AM, kbalage said:

I used the Metod kitchen system, I'm sure you can buy black drawer fronts for that one, although they'll be more expensive for sure than the plain white Veddinge fronts. 

Ahhh I thought you had used the wide Alex drawers which used to be available in Black Brown. Will have a look at them. :thumbup:

Ian...

1 hour ago, Fuzzock said:

Ahhh I thought you had used the wide Alex drawers which used to be available in Black Brown. Will have a look at them. :thumbup:

The problem with Alex and any other drawers I found at IKEA is that you cannot pull out the drawer fully. This makes access to the back difficult, and with the shallow ones even impossible. The Metod drawers extend fully, have a smooth motion and with the same inner drawer you can also play with the depth if you select lower/higher fronts. The downside is the price, with the four 80cm wide frames, 6 drawers in each and all the accessories the total cost of this system was around $1000. 

10 hours ago, kbalage said:

The problem with Alex and any other drawers I found at IKEA is that you cannot pull out the drawer fully. This makes access to the back difficult, and with the shallow ones even impossible. The Metod drawers extend fully, have a smooth motion and with the same inner drawer you can also play with the depth if you select lower/higher fronts. The downside is the price, with the four 80cm wide frames, 6 drawers in each and all the accessories the total cost of this system was around $1000. 

do you find much difference in the quality between alex and metod? For your 6 drawer config did you have to buy what i assume are the maximera draws seperate and install them where you like or do they still come pre-drilled?

8 hours ago, markaus said:

do you find much difference in the quality between alex and metod? For your 6 drawer config did you have to buy what i assume are the maximera draws seperate and install them where you like or do they still come pre-drilled?

There is a whole world of quality difference, but I really suggest to go to IKEA and test yourself to see what I'm talking about. Yes I bought the Maximera drawers, the Metod frame has holes on the sides so you decide the placement (within the system's limitations of course) and no drilling is required. There's also a Kitchen planner app on their webpage for the Metod system that can help you with the configuration and gives you all the required parts at the end.

14 hours ago, markaus said:

We have Metod kitchen for 1.5 years now and the drawers work smoothly even if significant weight is put inside them. I guess kitchen stuff is heavier than a bulk of Lego parts, so they should be fine for Lego too.

I had to make a final (what does final mean in the world of LEGO) order for storage bins to fill all the gaps in the drawers and cabinets. I'm pretty confident I will be able to store my Technic parts for the foreseeable future :laugh:

Pics of the final (currently final, final-ish) setup will follow.

52214378364_a6f8319c0d_b.jpg

Can't stress enough how happy I am with my new working place. Cat's happy too. Happy cat, happy life. Hmmm, that must be a different expression.

52219998041_a4c6392ab0_b.jpg

52220010203_a81bd7045c_b.jpg

52219998056_b2dd539ebc_b.jpg

I have even started working on my robot project again. More info will follow in the dedicated topic.

52234642170_53857e552b_b.jpg

When the animals are happy, the place is absolutely inhabitable. They know, we hope.

Way more importantly: That glass of something is a glass of wine, right?

Best,
Thorsten

8 hours ago, Toastie said:

When the animals are happy, the place is absolutely inhabitable. They know, we hope.

Hehe true. 

8 hours ago, Toastie said:

Way more importantly: That glass of something is a glass of wine, right?

While I do drink wine and this does like a rose, it's actually pink Gin with tonic. Kitty bought the bottle because....pink. And it's actually quite nice. Usually I drink whiskey when building, but I do like Gin tonics as well.

Maybe we need to move over to the pub hehe

I have recently moved and am finally getting my setup all completed. All I am missing is just some labeling tape for the organising drawers.

1 - Desk

See spoiler for more details

Spoiler

Various oftenly used modified liftarms and pins on the left side

2 - Liftarms

Axles and bushings on the right side. Also my fiddly toy that I made

3 - Axles

The main organising drawers. 

Left one is for system stuff. The big bottom ones contain mostly bricks and slopes of plain colors. Smaller drawers are for 1 and 2 width plates, tiles and other useful studded pieces.

Right one is mainly for half width liftarms and very handy smaller pieces that see lots of use.

4 - Sorting

The other organising drawer is for gears only.

Then on the right is cylinders, 9v and pneumatic hoses.

5 - Gears

My main drawers on wheels under the desk contains all my plain liftarms and pin-kits. The other is sorted like connectors/joiners style and PF/PU

6 - Liftarms

Under the desk I store everything of color so as not expose it to the sun.

The left stack is just kinda random stuff that don't see much access. The middle stack is all system bricks of various colors. Right stack is just technic.

The case contains very random and seldom used technic parts, but very useful in the right circumstance. Things like flex cables, toothed bushing, 32L axles etc.

7 - Extras

The other side of the table - The very left stack is old gray/faded parts that look ugly. It took a while to sort through and good lighting. Minifigs/technicfigs there as well.

Then old school electronics, more colors and bricks, flex hoses/axles, panels, Bionicle parts, machinery stuff and more colors.

8 - Extras

Here's all the panels I have. Flat, curved, large and small wings

10 - Panels

Two boxes of wheels

9 - Wheels

The only tools I use. Two different style brick separators (I prefer the older feel). The screwdriver I have sanded/polished down to make it nice and smooth so it doesn't cause any scratches on my pieces. It is used for prying apart stuff, or even long reaches to click something in place. The circlip pliers are for picking out pieces like 3L axles with stud and other stuck pins/axles.

11 - Tools

And when I'm all done, I have cut some... I don't know what it is, some sort of carpet, but not really that thick... I've cut it to cover up everything as it is far easier than putting on all the lids every time. Time will tell if it actually holds the dust out or not. Regardless, from experience, it all just sinks to the bottom anyway.

12 - Cover

I have an entire A4 piece of paper with stuff I want to modify on my fastbale, so don't stay tuned because that is going to take a while to do. I might do a new thread of the progress. But first I have to finish the other project that was supposed to be a quick and easy one and, well, nothing's ever easy is it?

Edited by Carsten Svendsen

4 minutes ago, Carsten Svendsen said:

I have recently moved and am finally getting my setup all completed. 

Very nice! Looks convenient.

I'm looking for a decent and affordable LED desktop lamp for my workspace for building and sorting. Any suggestions? What are you people using?

4 minutes ago, karmadrome said:

I'm looking for a decent and affordable LED desktop lamp for my workspace for building and sorting. Any suggestions? What are you people using?

I have these from before when my lighting was bad. Now it is not required, but they give great light output. I put them behind the desk

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/arlec-2-x-20w-3200lm-led-worklight-with-tripod_p0206011

Work area is reassembled, I'm still sorting things from boxes into the wooden trays. As you can see I'm working on something that has stud but let's just pretend that's not happening :)

bVZ2jrO.jpeg

The three big shelves can have hinges and wheels fitted so it folds into a box 1.2m x 0.8mm and about 2m tall. When it's like that the desk part can be put vertically between the htwo sections so it's included. But this room has carpet and a wooden floor so the wheels don't work. So I took them and the hinges off. Shelves spaced for the plastic trays up top and the photocopy paper boxes below.

Plastic trays are Australian "Fischer" brand, their dividers are fixed but are conveniently sized for Lego parts. I prefer the wooden ones that I made myself, because they're sized for exactly what I want.

More details:

Spoiler

Note the way different length Lego bricks fit neatly in the plastic dividers. But also that the Technic parts fit much better into my wooden trays. Those two wooden trays are my "all the basic Technic parts" in one place, with straight liftarms normally in one of the long skinny wooden trays that are leaning on the wall waiting to be filled up.

erTEGB9.jpg

Under the desk are boxes full of ziplock bags. They are mostly labelled, so when i run out of a part I can usually find the extras fairly quickly.

Q1SqoLg.jpeg

On top of the shelves are the boxes of random stuff... Power Functions, ice cream containers full of black connector pins, occasional WIP models, stuff that needs to be sorted. And the spool of not-Lego string that I use because TLG don't make "string, 100m" :)

https://imgur.com/a/L7mV2XA  Full size photos

Edited by Moz

On 7/22/2022 at 8:25 PM, Jim said:

Cat's happy too.

I don't care about age, politics, ethnicity... i judge people on pets! If their pets are happy and relaxed then i trust them!:head_back: (and that cat is matching mine for being chilled out..!)

"By his pets do you know a man..."