3 hours ago, LegoM4 said:

Total parts count is over 62K now and counting.

Wow *huh* that's a serious investment! I got slightly worried when you said you 'recycled' the Bugatti though, I was imaging somebody dumping a big box of blue parts into a recycling bin...:laugh: 

12 hours ago, Scoar Sonander said:

Wow *huh* that's a serious investment! I got slightly worried when you said you 'recycled' the Bugatti though, I was imaging somebody dumping a big box of blue parts into a recycling bin...:laugh: 

I know, but as a kid I had to save every cent to buy small parts packs in the toy store and now I can just order what I want and it gets delivered the next day. Leaving money you earned on a savings account doesn't do you much good these days. Better to invest in something that gives you pleasure and keeps at least it's original value, even if you open the boxes and build the models. Which in the end is the purpose of it IMO.

Regarding the Bugatti: it's not bad as parts bin. I even used the (now much discussed) orange gear wheel in my Dragline in a clutch mechanism for the winch drums.

On 9/24/2021 at 3:39 AM, Tazmancrash said:

Oh thats pretty. 

Over how long did that take?

Thanks!
I started fiddling with the storage from the age of 5 or so, always wanted to have everything organized :classic:, so I have no fixed point in time for long did this take. The basement part started in 2015, and the office part started in 2019.
All the images of the all storage solutions in that link I posted.

18 hours ago, LegoM4 said:

My journey into creating a Lego room is the opposite of what's been shown so far. I started out with remodelling the top floor of the house into a nice hobby room. Only problem: I didn't have a hobby for it (yet).

BTW, the crane you seen on the right is my first 100% MOC, a Liebherr HS 895 Dragline/Crane in 1:30 scale, full BT controlled with all the 42100 motors.

Love the story behind it.
Also, nice crane!

On 9/27/2021 at 2:57 PM, Milan said:

Thanks!
I started fiddling with the storage from the age of 5 or so, always wanted to have everything organized :classic:, so I have no fixed point in time for long did this take. The basement part started in 2015, and the office part started in 2019.
All the images of the all storage solutions in that link I posted.

Love the story behind it.
Also, nice crane!

Thanks. Congrats for this site BTW. Very inspirational and addictive once you start browsing it...

On 9/20/2021 at 11:06 AM, nerdsforprez said:

Not Technic... but I started a new project in my Lego room: 

Sorry for cross-posting.  But the Sci-fi forum doesn't get much traffic - 

Although my Lego room is 90% Technic.. I did add a Sci-fi greeble wall.  But in my defense, it does have some functions  :grin:

Check out the thread... all the details are there...

730_small

So I was thinking of storing sealed LEGO Technics boxes standing up (on the short end). Anyone here who has any experience with storing sets like this for a longer period of time? Thinking mainly on what it might mean for the instructions book inside.

1 hour ago, zoo said:

So I was thinking of storing sealed LEGO Technics boxes standing up (on the short end). Anyone here who has any experience with storing sets like this for a longer period of time? Thinking mainly on what it might mean for the instructions book inside.

I think it's a good question. That would be my concern as well. But the shipping companies are probably already doing it.  So if it causes a problem, it might already be done

And the beginning of a new era. The new office space (for my wife, Kitty) and my new LEGO room are 99% done.

This is my new work space. Although it's actually my LEGO work space, because I always work in the living room. I like to work downstairs, although now it's tempting to work in this room as well. The iMac has been replaced with a Macbook and 32 inch display, so I won't be needing it anymore. The old beast served me well. Got it in 2013 and it still working like a charm. Obviously not as fast as the Macbook, but I could still edit my pictures on it without any problems.

52191068236_21c33f7585_b.jpg

This is behind my desk. My Technic Pick-a-brick wall if you will :laugh: 

52190055722_a9b2dcf5d8_b.jpg

Drawers in each cabinet. This picture was taken a couple of weeks ago. Now it contains more bins :tongue: 

52190055767_6b3cd15fde_b.jpg

I used to have one of these, but having three gives me a lot more space for my Technic parts.

52190055597_79d2d48134_b.jpg

And a separate drawer for the liftarms (black, white, lbgrey, dbgrey, yellow and red).

52191322034_e5b933c339_b.jpg

This used to be the balcony and now it's Kitty's office space.

52191098053_fab7315bea_b.jpg

All things considered, I'd say it's a pretty decent upgrade. Time to put those BMW tires to good use! 

3 minutes ago, Jim said:

All things considered, I'd say it's a pretty decent upgrade.

It is! A very nice office space/LEGO room. I just finished the same  kind of renovation and now it's time to furnish the new room, so thanks for the inspiration!

12 minutes ago, GerritvdG said:

It is! A very nice office space/LEGO room. I just finished the same  kind of renovation and now it's time to furnish the new room, so thanks for the inspiration!

You are welcome.

We already had the desks and one of the cabinets, so we simply added some more. It's a bit white overall, but we like plain and simple :laugh:

And yes, I need to "calibrate" the doors of the cabinets.

Fun fact; when you rotate an Ikea door the center hinge isn't at the same height anymore. It's one "stud" lower than the other side. Really? Yes, really. That's a real PITA when you have calculate the drawer position by the stud. I ended up omitting the center hinges on two doors. You don't fool me Ikea!! :laugh: Being a LEGO builder I was baffled. I would have been baffled it I wasn't a LEGO builder. What kind of poor design choice is that?! There's even an official statement on the Ikea website about it.

1 hour ago, Jim said:

What kind of poor design choice is that?! There's even an official statement on the Ikea website about it.

Ahh - nice. I just wanted to guess the furniture company - I was reminded of Malm (desk), PAX & company; 50 and 75 ... These are in our home all over the place.

Spoiler

And tell you what? Just placed a €3000+ order - my daughter is moving to Mannheim to do her PhD studies. Malm desk, Malm Bed, table and this and that, some 20 PAX/Komplement elements (had to do that: They have a complete and nice PAX wardrobe, and me being so smart just ordered that one instead of doing the getting-all-the-pieces bonanza. Delivery needs to be before the coming w/e though, as we then visit her to do the building bonanza. All was good until the pre-configured PAX wardrobe was thrown into the cart - delivery date moved from July 8 to July 27. Merde. Well, inspection of the individual items revealed that this shift was caused by the €7 Komplement clothes rail in white - changed that to non-white and there you go.

With regard to the design choice: Well, L/R is an issue everywhere, isn't it? I just spent the w/e with retrofitting my ebike with a different 10-speed cassette, chain, chainring ...

I believe the official statement becomes obsolete, when you let folks know there is a door L and R :pir-sweet:. Then there is the pitch and height issue ... making L and R identical would require to change the hole pitch ... that one has a long history though, and myriads of Komplement items, using that one - or changing the height of the PAX series ... hmm ... could make other folks nervous ...

Anyway: This is a very nice room you have now - really nice. I like "The White" as well - no distractions figuring out what other colors are there :pir-laugh:

Have fun and as much time as possible in your LEGO room!!!

All the best,
Thorsten

Very cool office & LEGO workshop, what will be your inauguration build? :D

Btw there's nothing wrong with white IKEA furniture, that's the cheapest and least distracting option for a LEGO room, it lets the builds pop! :) 

P1266250_ret2.jpg.3294c30108e6e96eaa4752dd1fce1eae.jpg

9 hours ago, Toastie said:

I believe the official statement becomes obsolete, when you let folks know there is a door L and R :pir-sweet:. Then there is the pitch and height issue ... making L and R identical would require to change the hole pitch ... that one has a long history though, and myriads of Komplement items, using that one - or changing the height of the PAX series ... hmm ... could make other folks nervous ...         

My first thought was that there had to be an L an R door. If it only were that simple.

I just can't imagine how they made/designed this to begin with :tongue:

1 hour ago, kbalage said:

Very cool office & LEGO workshop, what will be your inauguration build? :D

I have started working on my Robot project.

1 hour ago, kbalage said:

Btw there's nothing wrong with white IKEA furniture, that's the cheapest and least distracting option for a LEGO room, it lets the builds pop! :) 

Lol, true that. Already mounting a red plate?

I’m dead jealous of all that space that you have @Jim. I’ll take a photo of where all my Lego is stored at some stage and show you how I’ve over extended my collection a bit too far !

14 hours ago, kbalage said:

Oh man - that one is nice as well. Very nice. You guys are really taking it seriously - and much more importantly: With creativity!

What I like about the IKEA furniture is the "system" approach. When you're getting used to this system, it is almost as building with LEGO or LEGOs :pir_tong2:. L/R is an issue here as well - TLG's fairings don't have that printed on them :pir-skel: yes I know - very funny.

I also like the IKEA approach: The Malm series looks like being made from 5 cm of bold wood/composite or whatever; it really is a thin cardboard type material glued together with a paper mesh - and some very nice outside finish. Yes, you can't use that stuff for wild rides of any kind, but: It is minimally impacting on the environment. Well, and pushing revenue at IKEA headquarters to insane numbers. But, you know: Same old: TLG is doing exactly that as well.

The other thing is the cool "nordic" approach - functionality first, clean lines, no fudging around. Including saving resources. Price? Well - priceless. My world.

Again: Very, very nice rooms you have @kbalage and @Jim!

All the best,
Thorsten

15 hours ago, Seasider said:

I’m dead jealous of all that space that you have @Jim. I’ll take a photo of where all my Lego is stored at some stage and show you how I’ve over extended my collection a bit too far !

Lol. Bring it on.

14 hours ago, Toastie said:

Oh man - that one is nice as well. Very nice. You guys are really taking it seriously - and much more importantly: With creativity!

Yeah, that cabinet is very nice indeed! And I love the cars on the wall.

14 hours ago, Toastie said:

I also like the IKEA approach: The Malm series looks like being made from 5 cm of bold wood/composite or whatever; it really is a thin cardboard type material glued together with a paper mesh - and some very nice outside finish. Yes, you can't use that stuff for wild rides of any kind, but: It is minimally impacting on the environment. Well, and pushing revenue at IKEA headquarters to insane numbers. But, you know: Same old: TLG is doing exactly that as well.

They are already using 1% of the global wood, so every optimization results in using less would...and more profit. Win win.

Sweet setup @Jim, congrats for getting it all together! Cool display boxes for the Sian/Chiron too :classic:

4 minutes ago, langko said:

Sweet setup @Jim, congrats for getting it all together! Cool display boxes for the Sian/Chiron too :classic:

Thanks. Too bad the Ferrari doesn't in between. But I can stack them pyramid style :laugh:

On 7/3/2022 at 2:09 PM, Jim said:

And the beginning of a new era. The new office space (for my wife, Kitty) and my new LEGO room are 99% done.

This is my new work space. Although it's actually my LEGO work space, because I always work in the living room. I like to work downstairs, although now it's tempting to work in this room as well. The iMac has been replaced with a Macbook and 32 inch display, so I won't be needing it anymore. The old beast served me well. Got it in 2013 and it still working like a charm. Obviously not as fast as the Macbook, but I could still edit my pictures on it without any problems.

All things considered, I'd say it's a pretty decent upgrade. Time to put those BMW tires to good use! 

Awesome room Jim!! Fun to have some real building space.  You should also post additional pics to this thread.  

Hate to see it die.... 

17 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

Awesome room Jim!! Fun to have some real building space.  You should also post additional pics to this thread.  

Yeah, absolutely. That's indeed where this belongs.

Looks fantastic @Jim, well done!

Annoyingly I chose black/brown as the colour of furniture in my study/Lego room, and getting decent drawers in this colour is a challenge. Unfortunately IKEA stopped selling the drawers @kbalage uses in black/brown recently which is a touch annoying!

However I am now tempted to add a couple of PAX cabinets into my room next year with black doors and just deal with the white frames for the benefits of the additional drawers.

Looking forward to some great Mindstorms builds from you with this room. :)

Ian...

36 minutes ago, Fuzzock said:

Annoyingly I chose black/brown as the colour of furniture in my study/Lego room, and getting decent drawers in this colour is a challenge. Unfortunately IKEA stopped selling the drawers @kbalage uses in black/brown recently which is a touch annoying!

I used the Metod kitchen system, I'm sure you can buy black drawer fronts for that one, although they'll be more expensive for sure than the plain white Veddinge fronts. 

Let's change the topic to IKEA General Discussion :laugh:

3 hours ago, Fuzzock said:

Looks fantastic @Jim, well done!

Thanks Ian! Very happy with it.

I will get a new shelf tomorrow to place on my desk so I can increase the distance between the monitor and my chair. Pictures will follow.

So here’s the “set up” I struggle with …

52201961203_3ef4921ce8_b.jpg

my desk has 2 computers on it, my work laptop and my own iMac. What desk space I have remaining is for Lego building and storing Lego builds (currently occupied by my 1979 Space box, the chassis of the UCS Porsche and my WIP Eunos chassis. On the shelf (my main Lego display space in the house, yes it’s a 1m long IKEA shelf) you’ll see Brickmonkey’s mx5, the new buzz Lightyear set and some classic space. Under the desk in boxes are UCS Falcon, Slave One & Landspeeder, Kit’s UCS Tantive and then the 4 big boxes contain Lego city space port, Mars and lunar sets along with TLG Benny sets and a few Creator space sets.

My Technic loose stuff is in the various tubs you’ll see on the floor, and the cupboard next to it which looks like this …

52201961208_976fab10ba_b.jpg

the top shelf contains classic space, the rest is Technic.

And then not forgetting this …

52201937746_81e06f3616_b.jpg

Where you’ll see on top of the cupboard is more sets (including the Ultimate Technic cars) and the left side of the cupboard on the shelf it’s all random Lego sets and the bottom of the “door area” are the SW Helmets …  plus of course my clothes!

theres also some random Lego in the loft !

so as you can see I’m very jealous of @Jim and @kbalage with their rooms!

Well, at least you do have to space in your rooms. The current setup is suboptimal, I do understand your predicament. But there is room for improvement. Overall, the available space seems to be sufficient.

@Seasider What's in the two big closets? (actually one big closet with two doors)