My Temporary Work Space:

Having received the 42100 set for my birthday on March 31st & the start of Covid 19 Lock down in the UK, I found I did not have enough space in my Lego Room to build it, so dining room table used by kind permission of my wife as we did not expect any visitors for quite some time.

Progress to date: book 1 completed and tested using an iPad.

Book 2 now commenced.

49744662288_4771696d30_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72

I have millenium falcon started at Christamss 180km away, at wifes parents. I thought, that I will continue it on easter vacations ... :cry3:

On 4/5/2020 at 5:49 PM, Doug72 said:

Currently Locked down due to Covid 19 so for something to do to while the time away  I thought I would make a video tour of my Lego Room, sorry no commentary.

Impressive collection of Ordnance Survey Maps Doug

1 hour ago, LucyCol said:

Impressive collection of Ordnance Survey Maps Doug

Well spotted !

I have another collection of local OS maps from late 19th century & early 20th Century. the room also houses my collection of books.

Prefer maps to GPS or Sat Nav.

2 hours ago, Doug72 said:

Prefer maps to GPS or Sat Nav.

Very old school, same here, there is just something bout a map.

34 minutes ago, LucyCol said:

Very old school, same here, there is just something bout a map.

Yes they don't direct you down lanes too narrow for big lorries, across fords which are actually rivers or under bridges that are too low !!!!
Most people don't have a clue how to use an OS map.
As a Sustrans Volunteer Ranger I frequently have to hand out maps to cycists I come across who have lost their way due to following GPS or SatNav which often incorrect.

I have been away from my Lego collection for nearly two years.  My job requires I live abroad or travel alot.  Everything I have Lego-wise is locked away in storage.  And right now with COVID-19, despite spending alot of time at home I cannot access it.

I don't plan on this continuing forever though.  I am amid a career-change and our family anticipates being able to purchase a real house, with real space soon, and I plan on having a real Lego-room.  It will be a room for all things tinkering, really, because I have a variety of projects and hobbies that I dabble in. 

Anyways, it will have a industrial-themed design to it.  My Lego building table will be thick natural wood or concrete.  Natural elements mixed with man-made industrialism. Concrete table such as:

076fea2d5467ab44a5741b3248bb098f

Or..... the official Lego page for 42100 also has pictures of builders using concrete tables:

42100-201909-PDP-Hero-Standard-Large

Natural wood tables are popular right now and I think they are beautiful.  In fact, I picked up a beautiful wood slab on a trip to S. Korea last year that I might use.  The official Lego page for the new Imperial Star Destroyer shows a little of what a natural wood table might look like:

75252-201909-PDP-Hero1-Standard-Large

Because I have been home alot, but don't have my Lego collection, I have been building other things.  For my Lego room, as well as other places in our soon-to-be home, I have repurposed old bicycle parts into lamps.  Nearly all these lamps have been created from parts either from old bicycles I have owned or purchased, or from spare parts I have found on the side of the road.  Each comes with a memory as I can remember exactly the ride when I found the part.  A few times, however, I have purchased a part or two new off Amazon or Ebay.  I am an avid cyclist and mountain-biker, so these lamps have a lot of meaning to me.....

Here is just one example:  I found the top piece, ball-bearing for vehicle wheel hub - just laying off to the side of the road while on a bike ride here in Texas.  The other parts I used from a mountain bike tire that completed failed on my during a particularly hard ride.  The small piece you see to the lower-right is the back of an aviation-instrument piece I found at a Korean pawn shop and purchased for only 15 bucks USD.  I was so excited for that one.....

Each lamp is unique but not all are completed.  Some are missing the electric parts and bulbs but you still get the idea....

20200410_16544520200410_16473420200410_16463920200410_164846_001

Anyways, just thought I would share.  We are still a ways off from completing our transition and therefore me getting my Lego-room, and other priorities are more important (i.e. getting kids set up school, work, etc) but I am excited about this.  I will provide updates as they occur as I really hope this room brings out my creative side and allows me to engage more in the hobby I so enjoy....

Those lamps are beautiful :wub:

Good luck with your transition, I hope to see a pic of your setup completed one day...

To post a quick update.... we finally chose a home and close next week.  Finally I will have a Lego room soon. 

I am busy planning it and trying to come up with some ideas.  I am a big fan of acrylic display cases, and will likely purchase a few. I know this question could be posted under the "general" part of the forum but there is so little traffic there other posts I have made there just go nowhere. 

Has anyone purchased any display cases from idisplayit.com or thebrickcase.com on Etsy?  Are their products good/bad? Thoughts? Or if there are any other companies that folks have tried that provide acrylic display cases that are recommended I would love to hear about them.....

Edited by nerdsforprez

@nerdsforprez As rider, I really like those lamp sculptures! :thumbup: I am not sure if I would dare to touch them while those are connected to the electric network - but they definitely help to protect your own Lego desk. 2 functions in 1. :grin:

The wires are heavily insulated.  No danger with them coming in contact with the metal bike parts.  That would indeed be a bad thing. 

Btw.. they are made from either old bike parts I have actually found along the side of the road while biking myself, or old bikes that have been abandoned.  So, they carry a little but of a nostalgic feeling for me.  Especially for the parts I have found along the road while riding.  Like the ball bearing sitting atop the lamp in the first pic, and the bearing casing (base) of the last picture.  I remember exactly where I was riding when I found those parts. 

Over the past months I've been updating my room quite a bit. It's not completely finished (meaning: it's still a mess...) but most things are in (the right) place now.

My work/display area (still messy, and too much models to display. I need to make some choices...:sceptic:):

800x600.jpg

My storage wall (120k-ish parts in there...*huh*):

800x600.jpg

Over the last few days I decorated the remaining wall with some "art" :wub::

800x600.jpg

This is how I mounted the boxes to the wall:

collage.jpg

1. To fully support these boxes I used 15cm x 15cm steel brackets
  2. Attach the brackets to the wall with 37cm height between the horizontal parts (= inner box size). I put them 20cm apart horizontally
  3. Gently slide the inner box between the brackets
  4. Put the lid over the inner box and brackets (be careful not to scratch the inside of the lid!).

1 hour ago, nerdsforprez said:

Lol.... I like how you displayed the boxes on the wall.  I have thought about doing the same!

It actually served multiple purposes... normally I flatten my boxes and store them (I don't throw away any boxes since about last 10 years). But I didn't want to take these UCS boxes apart (or do anything to them that could damage them). They were constantly sitting around somewhere being a pain in the megablocks. So this is just a fancy way of getting them out of the way without damaging them :laugh:.

3 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

This is how I mounted the boxes to the wall:

Hahaha so much effort to display the boxes, but then the contents -- the actual cars -- are literally just piled on top of each other... :iamded_lol:

(I know it's temporary, but the juxtaposition of photos gave me a good laugh!)

59 minutes ago, Touc4nx said:

How many parts is that ?

According to my Rebrickable listing I have over 134.000 parts. Since I have some sets and MOCS built at the moment, I estimate the number of stored parts to be around 120.000 (=120k). Could be around 110.000 also, I am not sure how much parts are used at the moment...

47 minutes ago, astyanax said:

Hahaha so much effort to display the boxes, but then the contents -- the actual cars -- are literally just piled on top of each other... :iamded_lol:

(I know it's temporary, but the juxtaposition of photos gave me a good laugh!)

Yeah well...:blush:

Actually the cars will be dismantled sooner or later for the parts, so their display value is less important to me than those boxes:grin:.

Edited by Rudivdk

So our remodeling project is almost done and I have had a little time to spend on my working space.  It has been years since I have had any type of working area so this is a big excitement for me.  Unfortunately, due to a new job, family demands, etc. I did not get far on the project.  I probably will not be able to revisit it for a few weeks or even months. 

Not sure if there are others out there who have had to move frequently.  It is pretty disheartening if you are a Lego fan/builder.  Not only will it take me months to complete the room, many if not all my display sets were damaged in the move.  I don't display a ton of sets, but I will have a few, and I will need to repair all of them.  Not to mention all the pieces that spilled all over the place despite my attempts of packing them well - so that will all have to be reorganized.  I despise organizing Lego, so I might even hire some help.   What helps the discouragement is this is our last move, or at least anticipated one, for the foreseeable future.  But despite it all, I probably won't actually get to build for another 6-8 months. 

With that being said, here are some pics of the project.  Sorry for the poor pics, the lighting in the room is very poor - something that I intend to fix at some point. 

First pic - ugly brown walls

20200722_142433

Room is now at least painted.  In the corner I will place a large industrial crank table.  Storage units will be installed above.  

20200907_170352

Double closets  - this will be handy for storage. 

20200906_09455320200907_170413

Wood for shelves I bought while on businesses trips to Korea.  I stayed in Seoul for over a year (I am from the US) and have many fond memories of Korea.  These live edge slabs help rekindle those memories and will be used as shelves and a console (display) table (for the larger one). 

20200816_07041020200906_094623

My room will serve not just as a Lego room, but for all tinker-things that seem to be my hobby.  RC cars, etc.  I would also like to fill it will memorable things, like the bike lamps made during COVID (above) that I made while stuck in a small apartment for five months. 

Still lots to do.  For the foreseeable future, this room will serve as my "building" hobby. 

We have one area that contains two nooks. The left side is our Technic/Mindstorm, and the right side contains all of our system pieces with the top row dedicated for display.

N_xidxBGi8Bs3ULnKrCCj5chMqobiMhHMbXetCri

The Technic area is in a 7' x 7' nook and contains 6 Akro-Mils Drawer units on top and a custom build TROFAST cabinet below. The tabletop is made from reclaimed floorboards from a local farm.

vuZ8tIcixY5f_nP1gi_PUyifwCOi7omR_q-ksKqL

GXuMleTKoQxCJldJEJR2E5X7wYohtjYkUfDrnbur

The second nook is 10' x 10' and holds a large majority of out sorted blocks. This also contains custom build-ins. The built-ins house Sterilite Wide 3 Drawer units. The drawer units do come apart and can be reassembled in any number. I have five drawers on the bottom row and four drawers on the rows above. The shelves are adjustable. The wooden drawers on the very bottom are a foot deep and house unsorted blocks, base plates and other misc. pieces.

X7ku5xSwx9HZM5WgOoQy9MnpDGNDctQaxI1WBc20

The top row is dedicated for display. Currently our modulars are monopolizing the space. I chose Under Counter Lighting to light up the top shelf.

yHOnNo09W-TJVtYyuLlfAwIXFfitL11YNMiM9SCv

We utilize the 20' x 12' space behind the double doors to store our tubs of unsorted blocks and all of our sets are stored in baggies in plastic bins. Thanks for looking.