2 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Does anyone have any experience with such a way of working?

My current method is something like this, except for it being containers, mine are the little drawers removed from my storage setup. 

It works pretty well, because you don't have to open a drawer every time for the same part (or parts in my case since I tend to put 2-4 types of parts in one drawer). However, some common parts I don't put on the table, because it's easy to get too full (my table is 120x50cm with my storage setup at the rear). So that might be something to keep in mind. 

9 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Hi,

Nothing to show, but I am thinking about investing in a better storage system, so I am looking for advice.

The idea I am toying with is to have large cupboards with drawers. Inside the drawers I want to have square containers of various sizes that can be taken out. I have a pretty big workingtable on which I then can put the relevant containers for the model I am making. The less common pieces can be easily found in the drawers.

So the questions are:
- Does anyone have any experience with such a way of working?
- Does anyone have a hint on where I can find a producer of square containers in various sizes (it is amazingly difficult for me to define a search query that yields helpful results on this topic)?

I have this kind of building place and it suitable for my needs almost perfect.

29287375361_58779dba04_c.jpg

All wheels and PF elements stored in the table. 3 large drawer boxes filled with beams, pins, gears e t.c. 4 small yellow drawer boxes contains panels. Usually yellow boxes stored in large cupboard nearby, because i don't use panels 95% of time. Each of drawer can be taken out. Very helpful when building some gearbox to have 5 drawers with gears and driving rings lying on the table. Or drawers with 3 type of most used pins, when following some building instructions. Parts sorted not only by type, but often by color. So, i can take almost any part from drawers without looking on it.

28742805674_c2d5e8d1a8_c.jpg

Almost any new set, that i bought can't be sorted easily - 3 drawer boxes is not so much. So i decided which parts in which quantity/colors i should keep in drawers, and which goes to large unsorted box to be stored and probably never used in future. But keeping my building parts palette in this relatively small size helps a lot. I can remember only one case, when i ran out of part and start to dig my large unsorted box for more of that part.

I don't sure about square drawers. But googling "drawer cabinet plastic" can lead to some useful results.

11 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Hi,

Nothing to show, but I am thinking about investing in a better storage system, so I am looking for advice.

The idea I am toying with is to have large cupboards with drawers. Inside the drawers I want to have square containers of various sizes that can be taken out. I have a pretty big workingtable on which I then can put the relevant containers for the model I am making. The less common pieces can be easily found in the drawers.

So the questions are:
- Does anyone have any experience with such a way of working?
- Does anyone have a hint on where I can find a producer of square containers in various sizes (it is amazingly difficult for me to define a search query that yields helpful results on this topic)?

Ok, was a bit late for me yesterday. So, to answer your first question: I personally wouldn't really like a system like that, although for the most part simply due to the fact that my workspace is not that big. So, if I had to get out a lot of containers, I'd have no space left to build. I sticked everything to the wall, so my building-area would be as big as possible :tongue:

800x450.jpg

What I like about my drawer setup is that everything I need (mostly just Technic) is within my reach and I can access everything without taking up much space (I can 'hang' the drawers from the cabinets, so I don't have to put them on the table).

My less used parts and other misc. stuff is in a closet:

800x1422.jpg

But, again, it's a bit of a personal taste. If you have a lot of space, I can certainly see why the container-in-drawer method would be nice. Especially if you can dump all the containers around your building-area, that might even be easier that my drawing method. I used to have a some sort of 'suitcase' like Lego2016Lego has here, but without the loose containers within, just static compartments. I didn't really like it because of two reasons. If I needed one part, I had to take out the whole suitcase and put it on a table to get the part. Now, imagine you need parts from 8 suitcases, there's no space for that. I kept opening, closing and stacking the suitcases. So, I really don't recommend storage like that, unless storage space is really limited or you can (again) take out the little containers (although you'd still need to open/close the suitcases when grabbing parts for the first time).

At the end of the day, everyone has their own opinion and their own favorite ways of doing things. If you ask about opinions, you'll get a lot of opinions, but nothing closer to an actual decision :laugh: :wink:

Eric, that Autosan is beautifully! Reminds me childhood. :)

OK then, here is my room (I still build on the floor, will buy second desk soon)

33835533471_22351e66d8_b.jpg

You can catch a glimpse of a future MOC on the floor, shhh...

that door is the bathroom. Most of it is System, but the technic is the middle row of bins. The bin that is sideways on the very left is one of those small parts bins, which is where my technic is slowly filtering in. 

1 hour ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

OK then, here is my room (I still build on the floor, will buy second desk soon)

still build on floor because my desk is small. those are very nice sets.

16 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

@legolijntje you have the best working place ever! I am trying to make my room look like that:laugh:

Haha, thanks! :laugh:

You do have some nice display shelves though! 
I have a little shelf (in another room) where I put a few things on display every now and then, but things like the Porsche and the BWE just barely fit on there (well, actually they don't and they just stay on the shelf because the better part of the weight is on the shelf :grin:).

As some of you may know I build mostly during early morning / lunch break hours. This is my early morning / lunch break office. Working on some final modifications and testing the instructions for my 'Hammerhead' rugged supercar.

960x540.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

X-Wing probably :classic: 

It's a mess but here's my current working space! Oh the mess of building freehand.... :tongue:

2017-05-05_10-42-19

I also think this is the first picture I've ever taken of my mess off a work station haha! So there you have it. 

DugaldIC,

it's not enought only a cup of tea or a beer :laugh:

Edited by Aleh

8 hours ago, Aleh said:

DugaldIC,

it's not enought only a cup of tea or a beer :laugh:

Not enough Lego or space? Haha that's all I have sorted at the moment, once I'm done hopefully I'll be a little more organized :tongue:

On 06.05.2017 at 5:02 PM, DugaldIC said:

Not enough Lego or space? Haha that's all I have sorted at the moment, once I'm done hopefully I'll be a little more organized :tongue:

For me it's always not enough of Lego :laugh:  Just joking.

No, you have enough both Lego and space. But you need to add to your table some coffee or beer for the full happiness :classic:

Edited by Aleh

7 hours ago, Aleh said:

For me it's always not enough of Lego :laugh:  Just joking.

No, you have enough both Lego and space. But you need to add to your table some coffee or beer for the full happiness :classic:

Haha well that's only the black connectors, pins and stuff I use all the time. I have everything else set aside as to not get clustered with where I'm working and it's already a mess :tongue:. Also you can't see the other table in that pic as it did a beer on it (or a few haha)! "

5 hours ago, Myers Lego Technic said:

@Aleh + @DugaldIC - here you go!(Beer avaliable upon request) 

A beer please. Do you need my shipping adress? :tongue:

22 minutes ago, DugaldIC said:

A beer please. Do you need my shipping adress? :tongue:

Coming Right Up! 

(I'm starting to get the feeling this should be in the Technic PUB :laugh: ) 

bar-1.jpg

Edited by Myers Lego Technic

2 hours ago, Myers Lego Technic said:

Coming Right Up! 

(I'm starting to get the feeling this should be in the Technic PUB :laugh: )

You are right.

Let's get back on topic.

My working space is not really specifically anwhere, I tend to build outside sometimes and listen to nature.

I don't really think taking a picture would justify my pile of stuff. It is mostly my claas on a shelf, my le mans car parts (I make c models from it frequently) and my pile of parts for building whatever I think of. I don't have drawers or sorted areas but it works.

Not the best thing to come home too...

34282841364_286c32e60b_c.jpg

Everything will be on hold until summer is over.

Safe:

MINI Cooper

Porsche

24H race car

Fixed:

BWE

Needs instructions but mostly intact:

EW160E

F40

VW Bug

720R

Totaled: