9 hours ago, clara said:

Really smart and interesting decision! Thank you for the sharing it.

Any reason why i have been quoted in this? it seems to be a copy-paste mistake.

On 9/18/2017 at 1:56 PM, Doug72 said:

After completing my TC12 entry my work space was in complete disaray with loose parts in all manner of containers.

Time to have a major sort out and re-organise my spare parts.
Drawer units are from Aldi, Lidl & B&M.
Empty 1ltr. ice cream containers used for beams. panels, connectors etc and empty food containers for studded & small parts etc.
Trays contain commenly used pins & axles.

IMG_4900 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

You eat far too much ice cream :laugh:

It's called recycling, I am loathed to throw away useful containers.

re ice cream,one container becomes emptiy every two weeks as part of a calorie controlled diet !!

Edited by Doug72

28 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

It's called recycling, I am loathed to throw away useful containers.

re ice cream,one container becomes emptiy every two weeks as part of a calorie controlled diet !!

I know that feeling, looks like a nice setup

On 16.9.2017 at 5:43 PM, Jurss said:

Mobile workplace 2.0

Place left for half size boxes with drawers

Hey @Jurss your mobile workstation inspired me to build m own. Can you please provide mor information about it? Maybe tell something about the magazines used to store your Lego parts and how you store 2 and 3 long pins?

On 7/6/2017 at 7:44 AM, Aventador2004 said:

7 total.

We're in a similar boat- I have 9 total that I can use for regular models. The rest I don't wanna mix, for the sake of making more alternates.

Sorry for the offtopic.

Edited by BrickbyBrickTechnic

18 minutes ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

We're in a similar boat- I have 9 total that I can use for regular models. The rest I don't wanna mix, for the sake of making more alternates.

Sorry for the offtopic.

I have 11 now, but yes, back on topic.

8 hours ago, AkiyamaWataru said:

your mobile workstation inspired me to build m own. Can you please provide mor information about it? Maybe tell something about the magazines used to store your Lego parts and how you store 2 and 3 long pins?

I don't know what to to tell more, alsmot everything is visible from pictures. I just used plywood, boght them in place, where they are selling some kind of leftowers, cut off parts, that was not needed for some main customer. Main frame was 21mm thick (i think), bigger walls are from 16mm. Could be different, but it has to be enough thick, so it is possible to attach those drawer boxes.

Now i also have to more clips/locks also on the front side ( I just didn't bought enough at the beginning). 

I'm planning also to attach some kind of limiters, so that it is not possible to open those doors too much, so that box don't get too unstable.

I used drawer boxes from TRESTON (at the moment they homepage is down). They had trasparent boxes, and they had dealer in Latvia. Couldn't find something better here. Transparent boxes, so that it is possible to see, what's inside. In this case, they are not so good, because handle is semitrasnparent and it covers sight from when looking from up. So, maybe, I will need to label them anyway.

8 hours ago, AkiyamaWataru said:

Maybe tell something about the magazines used to store your Lego parts and how you store 2 and 3 long pins?

If You are talking about those black and blue ones, than some amount are in drawers, but lot of them are in zip-pockets in some separate big box. I don't have lot of things assembled, most is disasembled, so I have lot of them in unused state. I have lot of those small parts allready in original Lego pockets, because I use those, which are allready in my drawers.

I also still keep tires and beams longer than 5L and panels in spearate big boxes. Those beams and panels are sorted in zip-pockets. When I will add some more drawers, I plan to fit them in this big box on wheels, except tires, there wont be place for them, I think. Maybe just for some smaller.

Hey builders,

After seeing all the dedicate LEGO rooms filled wall-to-wall with models and organizer drawers in this topic I decided to show my setup as an alternative for those who don't have that kind of space(permanently).
let me know what you think and what you would do differently.

Edited by shadow_elenter

9 hours ago, shadow_elenter said:

Hey builders,

After seeing all the dedicate LEGO rooms filled wall-to-wall with models and organizer drawers in this topic I decided to show my setup as an alternative for those who don't have that kind of space(permanently).

Love this video for many reasons..... but for one I will just say that it is nice to hear someone mimic what I have thought for the longest time, although I have not been able to adhere to it.  You mention that limiting yourself to build only technic allows you to keep your collection neat and organized because it very much  limits the range of pieces used.  I have had this thought a billion times over.... but can't seem to stick to it (as evidenced by one of my latest builds, which is nearly all system bricks.... i.e. the greebling project in my signature block).  This is not a mistake.... it is something I have knowingly continued to engage in - but the downside is that I will likely never have a super-organized collection like this b/c it would require too much time and space. Building with multiple colors, and a greater variety of bricks is fun, but it certainly has it downsides.  Kudos for being able to stick to your guns and remain so organized. 

18 hours ago, shadow_elenter said:

Hey builders,

Hey @shadow_elenter! Nice video! Firstly I stored my lego in the same way, after I understood it's not comfortable and you need to open all the cases each time. So I bought one after one cassetes like Aliit Vario plus 54. 3 or 4 of them will simply replace all your 10 containers.

Ha, I'm almost out of black pins too.  :laugh:

out_of_black.jpg

I am constantly building for my LUG.  I find keeping most parts in plastic bag seems to work better than fixed size drawers or containers as number of parts can shrink and grow dramatically.  My workplace challenge is space to store MOCs between LUG events.  

frames.jpg

There is a downsize to plastic bags after a few years of constant use...

baggie.jpg

On 17-2-2018 at 9:35 AM, Boulderer said:

Great video of your solution. I like the compact nature of the storage. Where do you do most of your building?

I work wherever there happens to be space I can claim in the house.

This varies from living room floor, to dining table to our hobby room... that's why I like having a mobile collection:wink:

On 17-2-2018 at 11:05 PM, Aleh said:

Hey @shadow_elenterI bought one after one cassetes like Aliit Vario plus 54. 3 or 4 of them will simply replace all your 10 containers.

I know they would, but there's another reason I like working like this:
A bit hard to explain, but have you ever had that you joined things together only to find out later you have used like 3 or more parts to solve something with the parts you use often while there's a part in your collection that can replace those 3 or more parts but jou just didn't because you forgot you had them because you don't use them that often?
I find I come to better and mo

re effectieve solutions to problems when I can just see all my parts and scan them for what I require now.

Edited by shadow_elenter

11 hours ago, Jurss said:

How!?

Building MOCS for my LUG's collaboration projects.  I don't shred most of my MOCs since they are used for a number of events.  It could also be I am using more black pins than necessary to hold something together.  That could be a good excuse to buy more sets to get more black pins.  :laugh:

10 hours ago, dr_spock said:

I am using more black pins than necessary to hold something together.

I have the same "problem" now too :laugh:

On 9/16/2017 at 6:43 PM, Jurss said:

Mobile workplace 2.0

800x906.jpg

800x556.jpg

Place left for half size boxes with drawers

I have this idea since a while and maybe will do it, but if I do it I will make it higher and include a foldable work table. Did you give it a nice finish yet? If so I'm interested to see the update.

45 minutes ago, Samer said:

I will make it higher

It will become "un-stable-r"

46 minutes ago, Samer said:

Did you give it a nice finish yet?

No, maybe in summer, don't know which :)

Also still didn't bought more boxes with drawers.

4 hours ago, Samer said:

I mean like this:

It is not mobile anymore. You can build it on wheels, but it will be hard to move around. Also it wont be smart.  My box is already pretty heavy.

I thought about something like that before, but couldn't find place for it.