Very nice set up for your room Jim and love your lighting system of the small photo studio.:wub:

I have to work with a 3 meter wide and 10 meter long gray background and put it for the best light outside in the shadow.

Some example where i working on two different kits for the same Company and the deliver is next month.

35199990391_2257438139_c.jpg 

Edited by Edwin Korstanje

5 hours ago, Jim said:

Enjoy it while it lasts :laugh:

I think it will last indefinitely, my interest in lego is in technic only. Considering I don't have to store non-technic part's I don't need that much space.

On top of that, I don't keep models. I like the building better than a shelve trophy, so when a MOC is done I make a video, take pictures and disassemble.
Also I never build 2 MOC's at the same time. those factors make that my collection does not need to be that big, it only grows when I purchase some parts for a specific project like the side blades for maximum impact.

What you see on the picture is all I own, I'm still waiting for my prize BWE to come in(:hmpf_bad: very annoying because I'm out of black pins so my rollercoaster build grindend to a halt). After that I don't expect it to grow much bigger.

5 hours ago, Jim said:

notice you use yellow and black a lot

When I restarted last year, I bought 3 yellow construction machine sets to start with. The rest of my collection grew around that, and since I don't like rainbow builds I made sure te rest that I bought matched the existing color trend.

I might buy an assortment of red beams some time to spice things up, but for now I'm perfectly happy with yellow&black builds (it's almost a builders trademark by now:tongue:).

Love your setup by the way, very organized!:thumbup:

4 hours ago, shadow_elenter said:

I think it will last indefinitely, my interest in lego is in technic only. Considering I don't have to store non-technic part's I don't need that much space.

On top of that, I don't keep models. I like the building better than a shelve trophy, so when a MOC is done I make a video, take pictures and disassemble.
Also I never build 2 MOC's at the same time. those factors make that my collection does not need to be that big, it only grows when I purchase some parts for a specific project like the side blades for maximum impact.

What you see on the picture is all I own, I'm still waiting for my prize BWE to come in(:hmpf_bad: very annoying because I'm out of black pins so my rollercoaster build grindend to a halt). After that I don't expect it to grow much bigger.

When I restarted last year, I bought 3 yellow construction machine sets to start with. The rest of my collection grew around that, and since I don't like rainbow builds I made sure te rest that I bought matched the existing color trend.

I might buy an assortment of red beams some time to spice things up, but for now I'm perfectly happy with yellow&black builds (it's almost a builders trademark by now:tongue:).

First of all....no BWE yet?! I have sent Vengit a message. That's not nice. Not nice at all.

I hope you can contain/manage your collection the way you do. But the BWE is 4000 parts, so your collection will grow rapidly :sweet:

I do like the black and yellow color scheme for your builds :thumbup:

8 hours ago, shadow_elenter said:

Same for me, I don't have a large enough collection for that!

8 hours ago, shadow_elenter said:

What you see on the picture is all I own, I'm still waiting for my prize BWE to come because I'm out of black pins so my rollercoaster build grindend to a halt). After that I don't expect it to grow much bigger.

I might buy an assortment of red beams some time to spice things up, but for now I'm perfectly happy with yellow&black builds (it's almost a builders trademark by now:tongue:)

That is annoying, they should have sent it. Are you somewhere not near a lego factory? So they haven't shipped it?

What sets did you buy? 8043?

Black and yellow, black and yellow, black and yellow. Or, because of the motors, lbg, and dbg, make a song from that! :laugh:

Edited by Aventador2004

On 6/7/2017 at 5:05 AM, Mesabi said:

How on earth do you survive without labeling your drawers? I've scrolled through about half of this thread, and everyone who has some sort of drawer setup hasn't labeled the drawers. I can barely find anything with labels on my drawers. I have no idea how you guys do it.

I suspect it'll me mostly for 2 reasons:

1. Relatively fixed inventory and/or spare capacity in drawers. That means you don't have to reorganize your drawers often, so you end up learning where parts are, by heart. That is, so long as you use them often enough to not forget where those pesky rare parts end up in last time you reorganized...

2. Good lighting. You can see pretty well what's in transparent drawers when the light is good and you are looking at them up close, or not from afar.

With a 2-year-old sleeping in my LEGO room during all of my free time, I lost 2. very quickly. Also, she's more sensitive to the rattling of LEGO parts so I can't build as actively as I could when my previous child was sleeping here ─ she wouldn't be bothered by rattling LEGO. Adding to that an increase in sleep deprivation with the inevitable decrease in creativity and appetite for creating in the first place, I ended up shifting my interest into more "childish" (easier) LEGO lines like Creator, DC, Marvel, and Star Wars. Those parts don't mix well with Technic, so I had to start a separate group of organized drawers which kept (ahem, keeps) changing often. There goes 1.

Thus I got to the point where I saw the point of drawer labels, and got to work about it.

The lowest effort approach I came up with (not necessarily the best) is a simple Google Spreadsheet with columns widths and rows heights adjusted to print out at exactly the sizes to fit the front of my drawers (50x24 mm and 109x50 mm). For the System / non-Technic, I also added 1-line text describing the content, because for now some of those drawers have so many different parts I can't display all of them in their drawer label.

50x24 mm label for 1 Technic part in 3 colors ─ sometimes the same part fills up 2-4 drawers, split by color:

42003-rybg

50x24 mm label for 2 Technic parts in 4 colors:

109x50 mm label for a whole bunch of Power Functions and related electric parts:

technic-ir-v2-sbrick

50x24 mm labels for System parts:

lego-system-drawer-labels

Images came from rebrickable.com ─easy to download and available for most colors for nearly all parts─ with a significant increase in contrast. I also tried this approach; I liked the idea, but felt lazy about tweaking it.

I spent quite a number of hours to get all of this done, but hopefully will be able to reuse it easily upon reorganizing drawers. Most labels are in Gimp's .xcf format, with each part in a separate layer. The result looks nice and I feel a little accomplished; while I didn't feel creative to work a MOC, I did achieve a little something I'm happy with, and it makes my life easier:

50x24 mm labels

IMG_20170616_221639

IMG_20170616_221703

Do not let these photos deceive you: the light is really poor and labels look much less clear (much less readable) to the naked eye, despite the contrast.

Oh, and I still have to find a way to keep the labels from falling towards the inside of the drawers, thus become invisible from my chair down under.

On 6/6/2017 at 5:00 AM, TechnicRCRacer said:

Not the best thing to come home too...

Oh no! I'm gonna have nightmares about this for some time. I was thinking about handing the Saturn V rocket from a metallic ceiling by means of strong magnets and fishing nylon, but I think it'll stay in firm ground forever!

On 6/7/2017 at 5:22 AM, dr_spock said:

I use memory with transparent drawers,...

Yeah, I was doing that until recently, but it doesn't work well in poor light conditions, which are the ones I have to work with (as seen above).

Edited by miguev
Fix broken photo

On 2017-6-16 at 0:40 PM, Aventador2004 said:

Black and yellow, black and yellow, black and yellow. Or, because of the motors, lbg, and dbg, make a song from that! :laugh:

42030, 8275 and 9397 mostly chosen for parts and motors, I never have and never will build those sets.

Also I got a 15 KG box of studded lego technic from my girlfriends brother. From that box I salvaged all parts that work with studless and the rest (like 12KG) I never use. Shame actually, I should sell it:tongue:

@miguev WOW nice!

What I really like about my setup is the fact that I see everything all the time. When I have a "how am I going to connect these parts to each other" situation that is not instantly solved by imagining whats parts would do the job, I simply look over all the sorting boxes and remind myself what I have.

If you'd constantly see all your parts including the rare ones, are you not more likely to use the perfect part for the occasion then?

In practice I some times sort of forget I have certain parts, and will there for make a less awesome solution than I could have if I had just remembered I hat a certain part. 

The above is very hard to explain but I hope you guy get what I mean:tongue:

On 2017-6-16 at 8:48 AM, Jim said:

First of all....no BWE yet?! I have sent Vengit a message. That's not nice. Not nice at all.

Thank you for that, hope it helps XD

Just now, shadow_elenter said:

42030, 8275 and 9397 mostly chosen for parts and motors, I never have and never will build those sets.

Also I got a 15 KG box of studded lego technic from my girlfriends brother. From that box I salvaged all parts that work with studless and the rest (like 12KG) I never use. Shame actually, I should sell it:tongue:

@miguev....

What I really like about my setup is the fact that I see everything all the time. When I have a "how am I going to connect these parts to each other" situation that is not instantly solved by imagining whats parts would do the job, I simply look over all the sorting boxes and remind myself what I have.

If you'd constantly see all your parts including the rare ones, are you not more likely to use the perfect part for the occasion then?

In practice I some times sort of forget I have certain parts, and will there for make a less awesome solution than I could have if I had just remembered I hat a certain part. 

Nice, I get my parts from sets too, or swap my old battery boxes for new ones.

I have the same idea in my building area, I do have sorters, but prefer to look, in the occasion I find a better part. 

Off topic, Will there be a topic for your roller coaster?

12 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

Off topic, Will there be a topic for your roller coaster?

Yes, naturally with a video.

But it won't be a build log and it will take some time( It's my biggest MOC ever):grin:.

On 5/11/2017 at 8:03 AM, Aleh said:

For me it's always not enough of Lego :laugh:  Just joking.

No, you have enough both Lego and space. But you need to add to your table some coffee or beer for the full happiness :classic:

total agreement.

my space: sorry if it is messy, i find it better to build within a small area, without having to reach, find, and grab parts from sorters, and as a bonus: i may find a part better suited for use. the drawers contain: 1. pf and pnumatics, 2. green / black panels + wheels.

IMG_2413.JPG

better look.

IMG_2416.JPG

bin 1.

IMG_2417.JPG

bin 2.

IMG_2419.JPG

it is probably not your style.

Edited by Aventador2004

50 minutes ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

I spy 2 XL motors:grin:

1 has a messed up cord, but if you hold it correctly it works.

Ok, so I'd like to start by saying that I have many non-Technic sets in storage, and many sets built and displayed on bookshelves. For the 10 sets I do keep disassembled, I put them in small containers in small drawers. I use the bottom 2 shelves on one bookcase for this. I don't label them because I know by heart where everything is. Here are some pictures of my ~6200 parts workspace.

800x600.jpg

Oops, did I spoil a future MOC? Oh no. :sarcasm_smug:

800x480.jpg800x480.jpg800x480.jpg

27 minutes ago, Offroadcreat1ons said:

Ok, so I'd like to start by saying that I have many non-Technic sets in storage, and many sets built and displayed on bookshelves. For the 10 sets I do keep disassembled, I put them in small containers in small drawers. I use the bottom 2 shelves on one bookcase for this. I don't label them because I know by heart where everything is. Here are some pictures of my ~6200 parts workspace.

Oops, did I spoil a future MOC? Oh no. :sarcasm_smug:

Nice setup, just because you have system parts doesnt mean anything.

Wow... if i see some of the working places here, i'm just envious.

But on the other side.. im glad to see, that i am not the only one, building on the floor :D

DSCI1545.JPG

6 hours ago, TechnicSummse said:

Wow... if i see some of the working places here, i'm just envious.

But on the other side.. im glad to see, that i am not the only one, building on the floor :D

I actually use a bed sheet, for the ability to clear room, or move easily. + the thing that on a table: "whoops, dropped the piece".

Nice area for working on the floor.

14 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

"whoops, dropped the piece".

That's why I made a border on my table)

35420719631_6fd4479d33_c.jpg

34742179653_1a4e48058c_c.jpg

Edited by romashkaman

2 hours ago, romashkaman said:

That's why I made a border on my table)

*snip*

*snip*

I made a border out of big duplo blocks for my desk

Greetings from Indonesia, here's my little Lego working corner, still a few box I need to sorted out though :)

2lwxj53.jpg

wu54pe.jpg

my cabinet already struggle to hold the collection, some already in boxes though ?

1 hour ago, nike-stars said:

Greetings from Indonesia, here's my little Lego working corner, still a few box I need to sorted out though :)

my cabinet already struggle to hold the collection, some already in boxes though ?

Nice, is the red car next to the 9394 jet a moc?

Nice and organised, something that 15 months after getting it my shed has yet to be.

Edited by grum64
Spelling

9 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

Nice, is the red car next to the 9394 jet a moc?

Yes, it's Mclaren F1 from Pvdb, my favorite super car 20 years ago ??

1 hour ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

@nike-starsIs that a bat pod?!?!?

Yes, shame it's a decool ?

Edited by nike-stars
Typo