3 minutes ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

@aminnich yup, the screws weren't long enough. I am upset mostly about the Arocs because a lot of pieces broke.

Awww, that sucks. I wish you best of luck rebuilding the collection.

Edited by Zero (Zblj)

51 minutes ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Totaled:

VW Camper

Arocs

I'm sorry, that's terrible. :cry2: I'd be worried about the 8880, since it's got many rare pieces and is old. Best of luck fixing it. 

9 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

yup, the screws weren't long enough.

I have the same shelf and it's a really poor design, at least for North American houses.  Wall studs are 16" on center and the shelf is 46.85" - just over an inch too short to be anchored into a stud on both ends.  I have access to the back of the wall where it hangs, so I added a piece of 2x4 to the stud and anchored the shelf into it.  Unfortunately this is not a solution for most people.

My heart died a little bit after seeing this! :cry_sad:

I have the same shelf and I've checked and it's bending in the middle, maybe a warning about what is to come? Just to be safe I have removed my sets from it.

Too bad about the broken pieces. Best of luck rebuilding!

Thanks all! Luckily, no rare pieces broke and all the broken ken parts are in the Arocs. Yes, the shelf is a bad design and I might get a new one.

10 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Not the best thing to come home too...

Everything will be on hold until summer is over.

Safe:

MINI Cooper

Porsche

24H race car

Fixed:

BWE

Needs instructions but mostly intact:

EW160E

F40

VW Bug

720R

Totaled:

VW Camper

Arocs

I wish you best of luck, and I do have a shelf like that, so now I will be pulling the battery out of the claas on my shelf.

Wow, lesson learned.  I was debating between store bought or custom display shelves, will definitely build my own now.  Good luck with the repairs.

20 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Not the best thing to come home too...

I know your pain.  Years ago, when I was just returning to the wonderful world of Lego, I built my own version of a MF (from Star Wars) with pneumatic landing gear.  Pretty proud of it given that it was one of my first projects after being away from Lego for over 20 years.  Thought I would hang it on the wall of my study/Lego work room:

14125065471_DISPLAY.jpg

This was a fairly significant piece with approximately 3000 pieces.  I underestimated the gravity cost of it all, and came home to this one day:

1398309237m_DISPLAY.jpg

The mount itself was actually mostly made from Technic pieces and worked fine.  No failure from the Technic pieces at all.  But the screws were not firmly into a stud, and eventually pulled out completely from the wall.  I did end up rebuilding the MOC, improving it as well, and re-hanging it with the original mount, but this time with anchors.  Worked like a charm the second time around- so, in the end I did learn something.  Hope the same for you. It sucks - but hopefully something is learned in the process. 

@nerdsforprez Wow, that must've been very upsetting! I have learned a lesson, and I am hiring a handyman to secure the shelves on better. The problem is that now the bottom shelf is falling because of the top shelf hitting it. I hope to redo all of the shelves.

I'll post a picture of my setup when I get a chance, but I've got to ask something to all you people.

How on earth do you survive without labeling your drawers? I've scrolled through about half of this thread, and everyone who has some sort of drawer setup hasn't labeled the drawers. I can barely find anything with labels on my drawers. I have no idea how you guys do it.

8 minutes ago, Mesabi said:

I'll post a picture of my setup when I get a chance, but I've got to ask something to all you people.

How on earth do you survive without labeling your drawers? I've scrolled through about half of this thread, and everyone who has some sort of drawer setup hasn't labeled the drawers. I can barely find anything with labels on my drawers. I have no idea how you guys do it.

I will post my setup soon, I got a smaller desk, so I could have more space to build. I will clean and post a picture sometime.

And I don't use drawers so I can't answer, I will leave it to those who do.

10 minutes ago, Mesabi said:

I use memory with transparent drawers, containers and ziplock baggies.

Ouch, all those LEGO spills...

16470312697_c9361a55d2_z.jpgIn Case of Spilled Beer Crying by dr_spock_888, on Flickr

I just got done sorting my latest purchase.  I am hoping to post pictures tomorrow.  I use drawers and organizer containers.  I am surrounded by Technic when I build 

@Mesabi I have large 2.5~foot drawers with deviders in them and they are full of parts and I use sort them by type of part and usefulness, I don't have any labels and after years of using it I still use the wrong draws 50% of the time or more when I need 1/2 beams or gears

I don't have much parts, drawers yet, most of panels and liftarms are in one big box, sorted in zipbags, as I don't have some dedicated room for this. Smaller parts are in some boxes with drawers. Mostly I know right drawers, and also, they are semitransparent, so it is visible, what's inside.

My corner:

34368191613_241d671e87_c.jpg20170608_095853

The problem is that some small drawers are completely full. I will have to reorganize some of them, moving parts in colors I don't use away to currently empty drawers in top left corner. There are roughly 7k parts there, tires and pannels are stored in table drawers. I don't keep any models assembled, so I don't have any display shelf.

6 minutes ago, Ivan_M said:

The problem is that some small drawers are completely full. I will have to reorganize some of them, moving parts in colors I don't use away to currently empty drawers in top left corner. There are roughly 7k parts there, tires and pannels are stored in table drawers. I don't keep any models assembled, so I don't have any display shelf.

I have the same problem with some quite common parts such as pins, 3L pins, 3L axles, 3 liftarms, etc, their drawers are full to the brim. I just just fill the drawers and the place the excess parts in an box which contains only repeated unsorted parts. There is no point in having all of them in the drawers since I will only use a few when I build. And when I'm done, I refill the drawers.

Nice setting by the way! :classic:

After getting back into the hobby I created a new workspace, with more organization and cleaner layout than ever before. 4 wall mounted organizers that I still need to create labels for, as well as a bit of extra storage for wheels & tires/plates & bricks. And a sneak peek at my current build :wink:

img_0339.jpg

My Lego/writing space is split from my computer space, which makes for a nice look and it's easy to switch back and forth when looking at pictures or designs on the monitor.

img_0340.jpg

13 hours ago, z3_2drive said:

After getting back into the hobby I created a new workspace, with more organization and cleaner layout than ever before. 4 wall mounted organizers that I still need to create labels for, as well as a bit of extra storage for wheels & tires/plates & bricks. And a sneak peek at my current build :wink:

My Lego/writing space is split from my computer space, which makes for a nice look and it's easy to switch back and forth when looking at pictures or designs on the monitor.

Welcome back. Nice setup! I love being able to switch to my computer.

Today I have received the last (hopefully the last for a while) of my warehouse containers. Tonight I hope to finish my setup for Technic. I still need to sort two large bins, but the end is near. Will post some pics when I am done.

I have everything in identical sorting boxes set up around me, the ones wit parts I use most closest to me. and a separate box with all my wheels and all panels. 

I don't like having to open drawers to get to parts, it needs to be in reach and in view.

I work everywhere, I just stack my sorting boxes and move to a free place in my house. Currently my MOC is rapidly outgrowing the table so I expect to move to the floor some time soon.

20170615_150951_zpslroxvlv9.jpg

I'll post some beter pix of my workspace in the near future.

6 hours ago, shadow_elenter said:

I have everything in identical sorting boxes set up around me, the ones wit parts I use most closest to me. and a separate box with all my wheels and all panels. 

I don't like having to open drawers to get to parts, it needs to be in reach and in view.

I work everywhere, I just stack my sorting boxes and move to a free place in my house. Currently my MOC is rapidly outgrowing the table so I expect to move to the floor some time soon.

Very nice! Looks familiar. I used to have the same setup, when I built in the living room. Eventually, it will not work anymore. Enjoy it while it lasts :laugh:
I used to store a subset of my collection in storage containers, much like yours.  I do notice you use yellow and black a lot, that's convenient for making a subset. Been there :thumbup:

Luckily I was able to convert the second (top) floor into a LEGO room. I have posted pictures before, but like I said earlier; I have been doing some sorting and rearranging. Not finished yet, since I still have to sort the big bins, but I'd say I'm at 70% now. The drawers in the first picture each contain one or two layers of 18 small warehouse containers. So, when I need certain parts I either get them from the drawer or I take out the bins. 

35289596446_66b68df9cf_c.jpg

35289596716_3ff0898160_c.jpg

35289596866_d1791f3186_c.jpg