TheLegoDr

New Pirates minifigure pack

Does anyone know what quality the pieces are? When they come pre-assembled like that it used to mean they were lower quality pieces... although I haven't really been active for the last year, so I have no idea if this is still the case.

The back of the box includes China as a place where the components were made, and that usually means the figures are sub par, but it could be referring to the gold chrome coins and bar. Then again the instructions show the torso's without the black mark on the necks, and that's what I judge my minifigure quality too, so I'm not sure. I tried to zoom in on the minifigures to see if they had the "numbers" on their wrist which is another indicator, but I couldn't tell by the picture.

I saw my local LBR has a new pirates minifigure pack in stock. It has 4 total pirates -- one female (similar to the fairytale set with the green corset top and looks like Ann Lee's head from Monster Fighters), two generic pirates with dark red bandanas with the IFS cook torso (I think), and Captain Redbeard. It also has a map, a treasure chest, a barrel, and a crab. It details for $14.99 and had 39 total pieces. I just thought I would bring it up. It wouldn't let me take the picture from the Facebook LUG page, so I can't share it here right now.

Edit: Image added.

9580549373_61bc6a02ab.jpg

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Hi, I added this set to Brickset couple of days ago. It was incorrectly labeled as set 859839, but actually it's 850839. See more pictures of the set contents on my Flickr page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miro78/sets/72157635193668888/

www.flickr.com/photos/miro78/sets/72157635193668888/

I got 4 of them at Legoland California last Friday. I just posted more pictures of the contents and the set assembled.

Miro

Edited by Miro78

An interesting timing to release a set like this now. Surely these are recycled parts, but as far as the Pirate theme goes, those are still new minifigs in the theme, previously unseen in this configuration! Hope they are a sign of new things to come, by which I obviously mean standard, non-licensed LEGO Pirates, which is the way they should be! PotC weren't that bad but they were overpriced like all licensed sets are, and I for one am not a fan of the movies. The original Pirates are definitely the way to go - enough Sparrows, give us more Brickbeards, Broadsides and the like!

Edited by Dreamweb

She's from 6253 Shipwreck Hideout, one of the better sets of the 2009 Pirate line... Hope to see more sets like this next year... :tongue:

I think i'm in love with the eyepatch pirate chick. What set does she appear in?

And also 6299 Pirates Advent Calendar

post-273-0-80370800-1377685360_thumb.jpg

Right, I definitely don't think it is a hint or a preview of a planned pirate theme, and we certainly shouldn't be getting our hopes up at all.

However I do have a theory. ("I thought you might.")

I think this is LEGO testing the waters to see if there is interest in Lego Pirates, and therefore to make an informed decision as to whether sales will be high enough to warrant to cost of designing and making the theme. Now as people have noted, there isn't an original element in the whole pack - everything has been reused, and therefore this set has been put together with minimal design cost (even the packaging is simple in its design). Essentially, if this pack sells well, it supports the business case of designing and releasing a new Pirates line. If it sells badly, they won't bother.

Now, if this theory is true (and that is a big 'if'), that also suggests that a future PotC line is less likely, as LEGO are experimenting with their own brand again.

Food for thought, at least.

If there's a new PotC movie coming out, then they might release a quick wave of Pirates to get people's interest up before the release of another PotC wave based on the new movie.

A quick generic pirate release before the next PotC movie would be awesome! Just because there would be at least 5 sets and a variety of stuff, but then again, a quick release like that could be very underwhelming, (as my opinion of the current Castle theme) so maybe a D2C set would be a better idea since it would be 1 really expensive, and detailed set like the Imperial Flagship, I don't know which one I would want more... I'd probably still lean towards a theme just for the sake of getting more minifigures, and I guess you could always just use the parts to build something better. As long as we get another ship, I'll even settle for a small Cross Bone Clipper sized ship.

I'm kind of hoping for this to be true. Either a pirate ship on par with the size and detail of the Imperial Flagship, or (even better) a pirate cove hideout set on par with the size of something like the Ewok Village. I like this idea since there are already several large pirate ships.

OMG! Chrome Gold! The chart is new and awesome. The new pictures off of Flickr have made my mind up! A must have! Good to hear that these are appearing in everyone's local Lego outlet stores, hopefully I can pick one up! :pir-laugh:

Indeed this pack doesn't offer many new elements but the minifig heads are different to what has been released previously.

A pirate captain without an eye patch!

{pic}

I'm not sure if you know it already, but both of those heads are from the Monster Fighters line. :wink:

Sure the new pirate heads are interesting. However, These battle packs including the pirate captain are just silly IMHO. How many pirate captains do we need? If this had 3 different pirate crewmembers and the female pirate it would sell like hotcakes. It would be a battle pack and people would buy dozens to fill their ships.

If they did this with soldiers. Red or Blue the response would be absolutely insane. Wake up LEGO and give the masses what they want... Real Battlepacks.

I'm not sure if you know it already, but both of those heads are from the Monster Fighters line. :wink:

No I didn't, however I wasn't far off asking if they'd appeared in any other sets.

So thank you for answering my future question. :pir-grin:

However, These battle packs including the pirate captain are just silly IMHO. How many pirate captains do we need?

That kinda goes with the tradition, doesn't it? I mean, back in the late 80s - early 90s we had Captain Red Beard in EVERY freakin' set! That's why today I have an army of him but only 2 or 3 Broadsides. And I agree, they've missed a huge opportunity by not realeasing Soldier battle packs - say, 3 standard soldiers and 1 admiral (the blue one from Soldiers' Fort and Imperial Flagship). They already had the pieces, and that would istantly become a bestseller!

That kinda goes with the tradition, doesn't it? I mean, back in the late 80s - early 90s we had Captain Red Beard in EVERY freakin' set! That's why today I have an army of him but only 2 or 3 Broadsides. And I agree, they've missed a huge opportunity by not realeasing Soldier battle packs - say, 3 standard soldiers and 1 admiral (the blue one from Soldiers' Fort and Imperial Flagship). They already had the pieces, and that would istantly become a bestseller!

There's a few they could have used...

Standard 2009 Soldier:

973pb527c01.jpg?0

2009 Admiral:

973pb542c01.jpg?0

Collectible Minifigure Revolutionary Soldier:

973pb1404c01.jpg?1

Barbossa's Torso:

973pb945c01.jpg?1

LEGO-Minifigures-Series-05-Royal_Guard-200px_high.jpg

Or that torso, also from the Collectible Minifigs... Imagine if they put four different types into one battle pack, then you could collect four different armies to battle each other!

Sure the new pirate heads are interesting. However, These battle packs including the pirate captain are just silly IMHO. How many pirate captains do we need? If this had 3 different pirate crewmembers and the female pirate it would sell like hotcakes. It would be a battle pack and people would buy dozens to fill their ships.

If they did this with soldiers. Red or Blue the response would be absolutely insane. Wake up LEGO and give the masses what they want... Real Battlepacks.

I suspect kids who may have no pirates at all are a bigger consideration than we are when TLG is coming up with packs like this.

Can someone tell me were in the Internet i can buy that set? It isn't on lego.de or lego.com. At eBay is only one US seller. Will it be avaiable at normal lego stores around the world?

That kinda goes with the tradition, doesn't it?

Tradition is irrelevant, it's satisfying the consumers' demand which results in the most sales.

Tradition is irrelevant, it's satisfying the consumers' demand which results in the most sales.

We live in a sad world today, don't we.... :pir-cry_sad:

We live in a sad world today, don't we.... :pir-cry_sad:

In terms of Pirate LEGO Minifigure packs, tradition be damned! I'd rather have my demand met rather than acquiring umpteen captains which I don't really want...

this definitely has some very useful pieces in it! Can't wait to (maybe) get one!

edit: I would love to see more imperials rather than having a collection of a billion captain brickbeards or whatever the heck they would decide to call the next one.

Edited by Volt

I spotted it a few days ago in the LEGO store in Frankfurt. It was about 15,-€. Too expensive for these "poor" parts. But at the "build your own minifigures"-shelter I found torsos from the imperial soldier AND black (non-printed!!) shakos! :grin:

OMG! Chrome Gold! The chart is new and awesome. The new pictures off of Flickr have made my mind up! A must have! Good to hear that these are appearing in everyone's local Lego outlet stores, hopefully I can pick one up! :pir-laugh:

The map is not new, its been seen in 2 Atlantis sets, a POTC set and a Spongebob set :)

But it IS cool :)

I spotted it a few days ago in the LEGO store in Frankfurt. It was about 15,-€. Too expensive for these "poor" parts. But at the "build your own minifigures"-shelter I found torsos from the imperial soldier AND black (non-printed!!) shakos! :grin:

Wow, so that's like US$20. That's a lot for something this small. :wacko: I was thinking it'd be between 12 and 15 USD. Brickipedia's page for it says it's US$14.99, which sounds reasonable, but whoever added it didn't cite it, so unfortunately I'm not sure.

Edited by Meiko