TheLegoDr

New Pirates minifigure pack

Well this set is disappointing...Not enough weapons, and the minifigures aren't that interesting...

Still I'll buy it though just because pirates are my #1 theme and I'm glad LEGO is at least keeping the theme alive. I want to support the theme by buying product so hopefully LEGO notices there is still a demand for Pirates and will one day bring the theme back :classic:

I hope that TLG will make pirates sets again, just so I can make my imperial army bigger :grin: . I won't buy this set, but when TLG makes other pirates-sets, I will buy them.

*oh2* I want it!

I want the chart, the gold, the crab and the bottle... and the minifigures :grin: .

interesting set. I hope, if Lego decides to make a new pirates theme, it will include some Bluecoats.

Now here I stand corrected. :blush:

There is a chrome gold bar in the set.

I apologize. :tongue:

Right, I definitely don't think it is a hint or a preview of a planned pirate theme, and we certainly shouldn't be getting our hopes up at all.

However I do have a theory. ("I thought you might.")

I think this is LEGO testing the waters to see if there is interest in Lego Pirates, and therefore to make an informed decision as to whether sales will be high enough to warrant to cost of designing and making the theme. Now as people have noted, there isn't an original element in the whole pack - everything has been reused, and therefore this set has been put together with minimal design cost (even the packaging is simple in its design). Essentially, if this pack sells well, it supports the business case of designing and releasing a new Pirates line. If it sells badly, they won't bother.

Now, if this theory is true (and that is a big 'if'), that also suggests that a future PotC line is less likely, as LEGO are experimenting with their own brand again.

Food for thought, at least.

Whatever it is, it's not just a collection of "look what we found at the back of the warehouse" pirates, it's new configurations, new packaging in the same style as other recent minifigure sets... The next set like this could all be soldiers to fight the pirates.

Whatever it is, my kids were very happy to find a new pirates set that wasn't an over priced PotC set.

I think there's too much of an 'each modular building has a clue to the next modular' mentality here... always looking for clues and hints and signs. From a kid's perspective, an eight year old now might have been too young for the 2009 pirates, so this is a quick and easy way for TLC to put out an interesting new set for them.

I'm not sure about the 25th anniversary pirates range idea either... the 2009 pirates were obviously a direct homage to the 1989 pirates. An anniversary range would cover much the same ground. I also think that at this time of the year, we would have heard some rumours of 2014 pirates by now.

Although having said that, POTC came out in 2011, and three years seems to be a common cooling down period for big themes like this, so maybe I will just eat my words. A lot of new Pirate-specific parts were designed for the POTC range that have never been used in 'generic' Pirates, and haven't been used since (anyone seen those scabbards recently?), and if 2014 is the soonest after the POTC range, they might just want to do that.

Hmm. Still, I think there would have been some rumours by now?

Edit: Wait, apparently a new POTC film will come out in 2015? And presumably more Lego sets with that film. So possibly they could do another one-year release like they did for Pirates in 2009 before they came out with POTC?

Edited by David Thomsen

Castle came back this year and right bfore it was announced LEGO had a press release saying something about it being the 25 anniversary, I think they meant 35. Next year it's Pirates big birthday. LEGO has said that Pirates isn't a staple like City, Space or Castle, but it will pop up from time to time. I for one think we will get some Pirate sets next year.

If we don't we don't, but I still hope one year will go buy without Police. I know it won't happen but I hope. :)

Even if we don't see a full range of Pirates in 2014, it's possible we could see a good D2C set anyway... the Imperial Flagship came out in 2010 and was still around for the POTC theme in 2011, and it complimented that theme well while also being reasonably affordable for not being a licensed product. A good D2C Pirate set in 2014 could compliment POTC in 2015 in the same way. And if there is a single D2C Pirate set in 2014 we probably wouldn't have heard about it, whereas rumours of a full theme would probably have surfaced by now. So that's another possibility for the future of Pirates.

I wonder what updated set they could homage in a new D2C? Something like Eldorado Fortress or Forbidden Island came out exactly 25 years ago next year, or maybe something like the Imperial Trading Post...

A quick generic pirate release before the next PotC movie would be awesome! Just because there would be at least 5 sets and a variety of stuff, but then again, a quick release like that could be very underwhelming, (as my opinion of the current Castle theme) so maybe a D2C set would be a better idea since it would be 1 really expensive, and detailed set like the Imperial Flagship, I don't know which one I would want more... I'd probably still lean towards a theme just for the sake of getting more minifigures, and I guess you could always just use the parts to build something better. As long as we get another ship, I'll even settle for a small Cross Bone Clipper sized ship.

Spotted this while in my local lego shop (Liverpool) the other day. Great to see a pirates set released, but disappointed with the lack of new parts. I think if they'd removed one of the generic pirates and added a different one (even pre-existing) or a redcoat I'd be swayed into buying it though.

Sadly £10.99 is too much for me for something I already own the entirety of (except the females head!)

This news is very intriguing indeed! I hope it is a sign of the return of Pirates III!

I think that along with the gold bar is in the bottom of the packaging, covered by a label probably in a normal plastic piece bag.

This appears to be the case...

9574275671_a9fa630da9.jpg

9574279277_3454ac5705.jpg

9574278133_da7894427c.jpg

This appears to be the case...

{pics}

Ah, okay! Not much going on in the set, but it's still pretty cute. Just wish it was $10...

Thanks for the pictures! :sweet:

Edited by just2good

ahoy mateys! been a while!

see this on the eurobricks first page makes me drag my lazy a** here!

on many of the comments, had already many of my ideas and thoughts when I saw this set

for a pirate fan like me, anything related with the skull and bones is always welcome (unless are some overpriced licenced sets), but sadly in this set, there is nothing new... even the minifig torsos of the sailors are the same, poor weapon choices, and...where are the soldiers?

great thing: the red dark bandana... are dark red bandanas, rigth? (never came for pirates, only in Cad Bane's Speeder), also the crab... only one crab came into pirates

might sound rude, but it seems that this set was made ​​with leftovers from the cellar of the collections of 2009-2011, adding the printed bottles that cannot being used in other sets

anyhow, pirates, yey!... lack of soldiers!... buu.... any other speculation... mmm... we will see!

It's nice to see more Pirates, though this collection does seem like a somewhat lazy release with oddly thrown together pieces... and two of the pirates being nearly identical is not impressive, just like the lack of weapons is disturbing. But two bandanas in a really uncommon color is pretty sweet, and I don't have a crab either. I won't rule out getting this package.

Indeed this pack doesn't offer many new elements but the minifig heads are different to what has been released previously.

A pirate captain without an eye patch!

post-273-0-19455600-1377651075_thumb.jpg

ahoy mateys! been a while!

great thing: the red dark bandana... are dark red bandanas, rigth? (never came for pirates, only in Cad Bane's Speeder), also the crab... only one crab came into pirates

I think your right! That definitely looks like a dark red bandanna, if its the one your talking about I'd be very excited as I don't have a single one of those for my pirates.