Sign in to follow this  
lightningtiger

Hoopers Hardware Store

Seeing the wonderful work of 'snaillad' the other day got the tiger thinking.....what could I come up with ?

Well, for a change - no stickers but still open backed though.

I now present.......Hooper's Hardware Store

old_time_hardware_store_80.jpg

This the updated store front with scales and sign saying 'Hooper's Hardware'. (edit post date 24/08/2013)

old_time_hardware_store_97.jpg

Here we see Mr. Hooper about to sweep the front entrance of his store. (original post date 23/08/2013)

His father started this business in the late 19th century and modern ideas are the last thing on his mind......he's quite old fashioned in his ways.

old_time_hardware_store_98.jpg

As you can see the store hasn't changed much since the late 19th century, the big drawers full of hardware, the big paper roll for wrapping parcels, the old school display tables and the big heavy front doors (yes, they do open and close perfectly).

Hopefully tomorrow if Mr. Hooper is in a good mood we can get some more interior and close up shots of the store.....but he was a little testy tonight so fingers crossed for tomorrow then.

Comments are always welcome, plus any questions for old Mr. Hooper.....hopefully he'll answer them (oh, I hope he doesn't mind being called old ?) :laugh:

Edited by lightningtiger

Great facade! The colour combination gives it old world charm.

Well, thanks for the feedback everyone.....I'm very grateful indeed.

Now there are two reasons for no stickers, first I wanted to see what the feedback was like with a major build of mine being stickerless (some purists like no stickers on things). Secondly, I have run out of printer ink. :blush:

I still might add a few final touches to the interior today too, I guess I should point out that this MOC is based in the same era as 'snaillad's department store and that Mr. Hooper is based on the Mr. Hooper from Sesame Street in the 1970's......my minifig looks just like him. :grin:

Keep watching as I usually add at the end of posts because like I wrote.....a few more things are coming.....I hope. :wink:

Edit - I have designed a sign go on the front.....even though my printer ink is very low, it might work to my advantage since it's an old hardware store. :wink:

Edited by lightningtiger

Very nice false front building lightningtiger. I really like the Brick built doors with hingesalong with the hardware bins and what i assume is the paper roll for wrapping purchases. I dont see a scale but it could be there the dark colors don't photograph very well. also how did you attach those minifig heads to the ceiling?

Bill

Ah, no scales.....no room on the counter.....though outside an old sack scale might be possible and those light fixtures are thanks to......

2460.jpg

I'm going to try and make that sign today.....keep watching ! :wink:

can you tell me how to get to sesame street... :sweet:

yup. that does look a lot like Mr. Hooper.

can you tell me how to get to sesame street... :sweet:

yup. that does look a lot like Mr. Hooper.

old_time_hardware_store_81.jpg

He really does look a lot like old Mr Hooper. :classic:

old_time_hardware_store_82.jpg

Now how's that for a set of scales eh ? :grin:

old_time_hardware_store_83.jpg

Sorry, for the poor focus in the foreground but you can see the big ceiling fan that is above the counter from which Mr. Hooper rules his store from. :wink:

I will edit my first post with a new image of the store's frontage with a sign saying 'Hooper's Hardware' shortly so........Keep watching ! :wink:

I really like this, especially the way you have used the smaller windows next to the door. Great job!

Wonderful build as usual, the exterior is very well done for that period but I love interior in this MOC :wub: , the ceiling fan, the drawers look great the paper roll, all top shelf!!

Although I'm not 100% sold on the sticker, I think it's the colouring.... But that's probably just me!!

I look forward to more, happy building :laugh:

Thanks for the feedback everyone, now I did say my printer ink was running out......it's meant to be tan with brown wording......but we got two tone pink.....but that was a colour in use in the last 19th century plus it's an old store so the signwritting might have faded.

Double thanks to 'snaillad', like I wrote earlier it was his department store that inspired me to create this.

I don't know if I can improve on what I have done so far......any suggestions will be considered. :classic:

The brown compliments the hardware feel of the store, but I am curious to know whats on the second floor if there is one because the first floor seems rather short in height.

Thanks for the kind words 'kermit' and 'paostmo', now there is no upstairs as such......empty space, the brick wall at the rear is to hide the ceiling and roof mounts/brackets.

Any extra suggestions ?

The Hardware store looks excellent. I do like the colour combo you've used, it's the right scheme for a building of this vintage. It does look like a lot of midwest (US) small family stores, but what it needs is propane tanks in a cage on the side....

Haha, that actually looks like Mr. Hooper! Great build overall. It looks nice, and there are details aplenty :thumbup:

Thanks 'prateek' and 'eurotrash' for your kind words, I should point out that I have set this design in the 1940's - the same era as 'snaillad's department store so any suggestion must be from that time period. :wink:

Great stuff LT! I really love this, it's very stylish, especially the interior (that fan ... :thumbup:). Of course I like it better without the sticker ... :wink: Have you ever thought of brickbuilding the letters? There's probably not enough room for "Hooper's Hardware", but maybe for "Hooper's".