Sign in to follow this  
Lobot

[SoNE free build] The depths of Cloud City

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Episode I - SoNE free build - Cloud City

This is my first attempt at a free build for Episode I, and I'd like it to be scored :classic:

As most of you know I'm just a little bit obsessed with all things Cloud City. In my opinion it's the best Star Wars environment in all of the OT & PT films, it's just magical, nothing else comes close. Actually Dagobah isn't that bad....... :wink:

Anyway, all of the scenes below show Lobot (in Stormtrooper armour) searching through the Incinerator Unit and two of the corridors of Cloud City whilst looking for any remaining rebels. All of the scenes have been illuminated with Technic LEDs and I designed them to be 'modular' similar to the classic set 10123.

Incineration unit:

cc1.jpg

This is the room where Chewie finds C-3PO in lots of pieces. If you look closely, you'll find part of him left behind, the facility has been totally abandoned by the Ugnaughts who usually work here. The incinerator unit was horrible to photograph, never again!

Main corridor:

cc2.jpg

Lobot contines his search of the facility, supported by another Imperial trooper. I based the design on the corridor where Luke & Darth duel, insert music to Pulp Fiction here :wink:

Another corridor:

cc3.jpg

Lobot encounters a solitary droid who continues to monitor the weather station, oblivious to the choas erupting around it.

Over-view:

cc4.jpg

An over-view of the build without all of the LEDs, showing how it links together (well almost!). Oddly I was most happy with my design of the weather monitoring equipment (they had a lot in the City, just take a look at the scenes where Luke is hanging beneath it!) Apologies for the rubblish photo....it was late, I was tired and just wanted to finish it!!

C & C welcome :classic:

The first pic is great :wub: , thats were chewbaca finds C3 PO right? even with that white IG 88 unit, the other corridors remind me of the Tantive IV.

Edited by Nom Carver

Well i like your Cloud City moc, because you show the more industiral like site of the city not the clean white halls.

So that's quite a contrast compared to some other Bespin mocs I have seen so far. The LED lightning is just as wonderful as the amount of details you've created here.

Incredible! It may have been a bear to photograph, but you pulled the incinerator off perfectly!

The whole moc is fantastic, I've always thought about making the incinerator room out of Lego, you make it look just like the movie, except less clutter and junk on the floor, nice work I love it.:thumbup:

Nice creation of the Cloud City industrial part. How many grilled tiles are there?? :laugh: Excellent job on the lighting and photography!

Edited by MstrOfPppts

Excellent recreation of the Cloud City atmosphere, with an impressive amount of detailing and 'junk' in the background, and as always your lighting is incredible. :wub:

I'm really impressed with the photography, especially in the first picture. The modular design is a really good idea as well :thumbup:.

Nice build! I especially like the incineration room and how you managed to put a BURP in there while it doesn't represent a rock! :thumbup:

How did you light this? The lighting is superb and really brings the scene to life. I have a lot to learn... :laugh:

If his Future of Star Wars Contest entry is any indication, he probably used TLG's LED PF lights. Best way to get realistic lighting? Do it for real. :wink:

Thanks for the comments everyone, really appreciated! :blush:

How did you light this? The lighting is superb and really brings the scene to life. I have a lot to learn... :laugh:

Doc's correct. I use Technic PF LEDs (8870) linked to a 9v battery box (8881). To be honest they aren't that bright individually, but if you use 7-8 pairs it generates quite a nice level...I also use quite low ISO camera settings which help. Obvously they're compatible with Lego, but I've found it's best to mount them via 3738 (or similar). If you want a more 'diffuse' light the coloured (translucent) versions of 2654 work really well.

I hope that this helps. Cheers, Robin :classic:

Doc's correct. I use Technic PF LEDs (8870) linked to a 9v battery box (8881). To be honest they aren't that bright individually, but if you use 7-8 pairs it generates quite a nice level...I also use quite low ISO camera settings which help. Obvously they're compatible with Lego, but I've found it's best to mount them via 3738 (or similar). If you want a more 'diffuse' light the coloured (translucent) versions of 2654 work really well.

I hope that this helps. Cheers, Robin :classic:

Thank's a bunch! That should get me started.

To be honest, I don't remember Cloud City...

But I'm impressed with the build. It looks great and very Star Warsy.

I really like the grated tiled flooring.

Keep up the good work.

wow, just wow! Fantastic job recreating the smelting chamber and the corridors. I dig all of the details, like the conveyor belt, the "fire," and all of the junk in the background. Also, nice work on detailing the walls and overhanging parts.