Hi,

I have two idler/clutch gears on an axle with a clutch between them, how do I have both gears spinning when the gear lever is in 'neutral/middle' but when the clutch is put into gear 1 or gear 2 only that one spins.? Obviously more axles and gears will be underneath the above setup since its a gearbox.

Note that I cant put any more gears on the same axle as the clutch as:

1 it slides with the clutch, through the idler gears

2: the axle isn't long enough

Maybe a differential can sort this I'm not sure, its really hard to picture it out mentally but I'm sure its possible, I know that a differential can have just the pinion gears or everything rotating.

I don't want to use any more clutches as the gear lever already is using 4/5 of them and its very wide as it is.

Here is the split/assembled model, grey and black parts are technic nuts and threaded axle.

14kcu8g.jpg

Edited by SNIPE

Hi,

I have two idler/clutch gears on an axle with a clutch between them, how do I have both gears spinning when the gear lever is in 'neutral/middle' but when the clutch is put into gear 1 or gear 2 only that one spins.? Obviously more axles and gears will be underneath the above setup since its a gearbox.

Note that I cant put any more gears on the same axle as the clutch as:

1 it slides with the clutch, through the idler gears

2: the axle isn't long enough

Maybe a differential can sort this I'm not sure, its really hard to picture it out mentally but I'm sure its possible, I know that a differential can have just the pinion gears or everything rotating.

I don't want to use any more clutches as the gear lever already is using 4/5 of them and its very wide as it is.

Here is the split/assembled model, grey and black parts are technic nuts and threaded axle.

14kcu8g.jpg

I hope you aren't using threaaded axles to transfer torque...

I'm not sure what you're talking about, it is just an axle like any other axle but it has nuts to clamp the clutches together, that's it.

Here is a clip of it:

View My Video

Edited by SNIPE

I'm not sure what you're talking about, it is just an axle like any other axle but it has nuts to clamp the clutches together, that's it.

Here is a clip of it:

View My Video

The threaded axles are very weak. Which can not handle any torque. So break easily. And there aren't many of them left. So people would prefer it if you didn't waste them...

Well then ill see how it goes with normal axles and bushes instead of nuts but I still need to figure out how to have both gears spinnign but when one is engaged with the clutch it cuts the other one opposite from spinning.

Edited by SNIPE

Try the steering mechanism from zblj's ripsaw tank.(search "lego ripsaw" on youtube)

Edited by Technyk32231

How does this 'brake' one wheel? just by powering the motor off?

No, both rc motors turn the differential case. There is a brake on each of the differential's outputs. When the servo turns to one side, it puts pressure on the corresponding brake, therefore stopping that output.