Lucifer Adams

JAWS Movie Poster in 3D (MOC)

Hi everyone! I just wanted to share with you my latest MOC and one that has been a real passion-project for me.

I'm a huge movie fan and Jaws is probably the film that I love the most. So creating a Jaws MOC is something that I've been thinking about for quite a while.

The poster measures approximately 15.75" (40cm) tall, 13.5" (34cm) wide and 5.25" (13.5cm) deep. I estimate the finished model is likely to be in the 3300 – 4000 parts range. It took about eight hours to put it all together and about 20 hours to design in LDD.

9470934363_634a09a9a7_z.jpg

The water effect is achieved by pouring 1x1 round transparent clear plates in between a solid brick wall and a wall made up of Transparent-Clear panels. The gap between the back wall and the Trans-Clear plates is a single stud. The gap on the left and right is four studs wide.

9470934231_61bf7dbb73_z.jpg

A view from the side where you can see how it sits inside the black 'box'

9473717514_668e3315b5_z.jpg

A view from the other side.

9470934961_e33cfbb56a_z.jpg

Dinner time?

9470934497_144cf46206_z.jpg

You can view the full set on Flickr at THIS link

UPDATE

I have made a couple of tweaks to this piece. The first was a minor change to the top of the 'W' in 'JAWS'. I had capped it off with two 2x2 red tiles but they did not go all the way to the edges, so I replaced the 2x2s with two 1x3s and this makes the 'W' look better.

14372463670_2be8ac2b0d_c.jpg

The second modification was more significant and is based on some feedback I received below from Clone OPatra. I was never truly happy with how the shark's nose jutted out over his top lip. To solve this, I made the shark's head one brick wider but kept the nose where it was. This leads to a smoother transition from lip to nose.

14372707977_2457408d98_z.jpg

Finally, whilst I had the camera out, I took the top off to allow for a 'cross-section' view, showing how the various 3D elements look when viewed from above.

14555751231_658ab13d32_z.jpg

14557515704_5fd1a457f4_z.jpg

Edited by Lucifer Adams

Awesome MOC. The water effect especially is really cool, and a superb way to represent deep to shallow waters. The sheer scale is also fantastic.

One element that stood out to me as looking a little odd is the nose. The rounded parts at the bottom of the shark are great, but the transition from 2Dish to the 3D nose doesn't work quite as well, perhaps made especially prominent by the overhang. Have you tried it with a less 3D nose?

Awesome work, I love it and welcome to eurobricks (I noticed this work a few days ago on brick fanatics) :classic:

Excellent work! There's plenty to appreciate in this MOC, but I especially like the ice cream bubbles.

If anyone wants to see this in person (where I can personally guarantee it looks even better :grin: ), I believe it will be on display in Wakefield museum on the 14th September as part of the Brickshire LEGO Display.

AWESOME work 'LA', and congrats on being front paged too.......Brick On 'LA'........as long as the waters are safe ! :grin:

Awesome 3D poster! The change in colour of the water is really effective.

Wonderful MOC, the water and shark really stand out well. I too like the ice cream bubble the best I think, but the whole poster is great!

Well designed and implemented, happy building :laugh:

Wow 3D poster! I wouldn't have think of this. This is something really different of what we are use to see. Really well done. I hope you have more porjects to show us.

It's a really great MOC and an awesome recreation of a movie poster! It's a bit macabre to me though, as a German girl died from a shark attack on Hawaii last week.