Rogue Angel

Book II - Avalonia: Guild sign-up and Discussion

ive often wanted to know what grey timber (you know, sun bleached sorta stuff) would loo like in lego, or if it would just loo like strange stonework.

I actually tried that in one of my first goh mocs, if i remember correctly it did't look like rotten wood at all

I actually tried that in one of my first goh mocs, if i remember correctly it did't look like rotten wood at all

I had an unfortunate feeling it would be that way. Oh well

Ahh Skyrim! Old dried wood is not easy to achieve as it does have a gray color which puts people off as they prefer to use brown. However I think old light gray would work well for this. There is a lot of old light gray about as it was one of the more common colors but don't expect any new style pieces in this color.

Don't forget that the picture you have shown looks very washed out due to the particular lighting in the game shot. If you play the game and get up close to this house you will notice the colors are a lot darker and look more like brown wood and tan walls. Try looking for other pics online to find a more definitive idea on the colors.

If you go the Light Grey route, you can distinguish it by making a dead tree in that color and making any rock work in Dark Bley with Sand Blue speckling. Both the 1x2 and 1x4 log bricks are available in that color in good quantities on Bricklink. The Bricklink store Maxspace out of Australia is probably the best store for you if you need those parts.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I actually went and had a look at the house in game, and despite standing around for quite a while, I still can't come up with a decisive color. I think old grey is close, but overall it's a bit of a grey area in Lego's palette (no pun intended.)

Since I don't have any grey anyway, I think I'll try the build twice. First time round, I'll ignore the colors, and then if I think the build looks good, I'll order accurately colored pieces and try again.

... overall it's a bit of a grey area in Lego's palette (no pun intended.)

Not quite sure I believe that... :wink:

I think maybe if you started with old grey and sprinkled in some lime or olive green where you can, you might have something--especially if you're building something at a medium or large scale. Take a look at some print pictures in a newspaper or magazine; I think you'll probably find that the image is really a collection of tiny dots that come together to create the colors. This same approach might work for you. Or it might look like somebody went paint-balling through a renaissance festival loaded with green paint. :grin:

Never know until you try it I guess!

sure zach! if you could wait maybe 2 weeks for it? ill do it after my second tribe is done

That's cool, I'll try something else in the mean time.

Oh man, so looking around for other buildings in Skyrim to base a build on, I can literally find nothing that doesn't have that light wood color to it.

Edited by Zach Mills

I'm looking forward to see how this turns out. The dried wood can pose quite a challenge, but I'm sure you will make it look good. :classic:

Oh man, so looking around for other buildings in Skyrim to base a build on, I can literally find nothing that doesn't have that light wood color to it.

Do you have Dragonborn? I'm thinking of building the Bulwark or something from Ravenrock. Or that statue from the College of Winterhold. But I sick at sculpting. :shrug:

Do you have Dragonborn? I'm thinking of building the Bulwark or something from Ravenrock. Or that statue from the College of Winterhold. But I sick at sculpting. :shrug:

How about one of those stone houses by the dock in Raven Rock? You could try and blend half a round tower using DC's round tower technique with a square building using the same technique (without hinges, keeping it straight.)

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/File:DB-place-Abandoned_Building.jpg

This kind of house.

@Zach I'm planning on building that entire mansion with a full interior eventually. I'm not worried about any color or specific areas. I'm just going to build it with what is available. I would suggest just building it and not worry about any colors.

How about one of those stone houses by the dock in Raven Rock? You could try and blend half a round tower using DC's round tower technique with a square building using the same technique (without hinges, keeping it straight.)

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/File:DB-place-Abandoned_Building.jpg

This kind of house.

I could give it a shot! I already have some Dark Elves built. I always start a project with the figs for some reason.

Hey lads! Its been quite a while hasn't it? I just wanted to see how my homies been? So...uh... Anyone miss me? :grin:

In all seriousness, I ended up getting the job of my dreams and now I am over on the other side of the pond (away from the bricks). So this is pretty much goodbye. Book II looks awesome, Z and everyone else who helped out did a great job! My only regret is I won't be apart of it. :sad:

Edited by Brickington

I`ve build my first freebuild for GoH! It will be posted soon :wink:

Sweet! Can't wait to see it!

Hey lads! Its been quite a while hasn't it? I just wanted to see how my homies been? So...uh... Anyone miss me? :grin:

In all seriousness, I ended up getting the job of my dreams and now I am over on the other side of the pond (away from the bricks). So this is pretty much goodbye. Book II looks awesome, Z and everyone else who helped out did a great job! My only regret is I won't be apart of it. :sad:

Feel free to drop back in if you can!